Logos: Intel or AMD

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3649
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 1 2015 1:18 AM

It's time to replace my beat-up laptop and since I don't have loads of money to invest, I am intrigued by the comparatively lower AMD based systems out there. I've been trying to make sense of the madness out there but find that it is a study project of its own comparable in challenge to learning case frames theory!

So, wondering if there is any insight here on the forum as to what may or may not be advisable here. The use of Logos is by far the most demanding computing need I have. I am pretty sure I won't be able to afford a system that comes with a SSD. The question then is this: can a AMD8 or AMD10 reasonably close performance to an i5 or better intel processor? Or is there a website someone can recommend that lines up comparable processors together (I found lots of website but the information is not laid out in a way that answers my questions).

(I know there are many factors involved, but as much as possible, let's keep it simple)

Posts 6479
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 3:31 AM

A few sites for you to consider.

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/processors/intel-vs-amd-which-processor-is-best-936589

This site compares the speed between the two processors. http://www.cpuspeedpro.com/cpu-amd-vs-intel.php 

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 64
Hermann Fritz | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 3:46 AM

Hello Francis,

I own a notebook with an INTEL i7 2000-2800 Mhz with a "normal" HD and an AMD Desktop with an AMD FX 6350@ 3500 Mhz and a SSD 840 EVO. The performance of Logos is on both Systems very well. I have installed Logos 5 Gold, Logos 6 Starter, the full Crossgrade and some other Bundles, approximately 8500 books and documents until now. The best boost came with the SSD on the AMD System. I would always recommend this innovation. Yes

This offer on Amazon seems not bad. Maybe, later you should buy a SSD-Kit to install a larger HD,  as soon as you can afford it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00UGU48NO/ref=sr_1_1_olp?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1433156076&sr=1-1&keywords=notebook+with+ssd&condition=new

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-Notebook-SV300S3N7A-240G/dp/B00A1ZU00O/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1433156321&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=ssd+notbook+kit

Greetings from Cologne, Germany,

Hermann 

Posts 1502
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 3:51 AM

Francis:

I am pretty sure I won't be able to afford a system that comes with a SSD. 

Usually it's a lot cheaper to buy a laptop with a normal hard drive, and then buy an SSD and switch it out manually (it's pretty easy to do). It makes a HUGE difference with Logos, and you can get a good SSD cheap nowadays on sale.

Don't worry about getting a dedicated video card. The integrated ones in the recent processors are fast enough.

Try to get 8GB of RAM. Or at least 6. 

This is a good overview of Laptop CPU speeds that I have found useful in the past: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/laptop.html. Core i5 is considered to be a great laptop CPU for Logos, and it looks like those start around the 2300 range and up in this benchmark. As long as your AMD processor has similar or higher numbers, you should be good to go.

Posts 3649
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 7:57 AM

Thank you, everybody, I will take a look at the links you have provided.

Posts 2221
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 5:43 PM

I've been a fan of AMD since they are sort of the underdog in the processor wars. The only real downside is that MS doesn't always give AMD the test diligence on their updates. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 928
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 8:10 PM

Cost and performance are usually what are discussed when comparing the two brands, but a third factor is also relevant since you are specifically looking for a laptop - power consumption. I do not have a link to share at this moment in support of my claim, but generally Intel will require less power than a comparable AMD processor. That translates into more time between charges. It also means your computer puts out less heat, which means your fans won't be working as hard, which means they will generate less noise. Again, I don't readily have a source to cite other than my own experience building computers as a hobby, so feel free to take my post with several grains of salt! Smile

Posts 2248
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 9:09 PM

mab:

I've been a fan of AMD since they are sort of the underdog in the processor wars. The only real downside is that MS doesn't always give AMD the test diligence on their updates. 

That! I don't want to support Goliath unless absolutely necessary. I'll stick with David.

Performance of the two platforms is about the same, and Logos runs on both the same.

Similar question: Does a Coke taste better while you're driving a Lexus or a Ford? Depends mostly on other factors, right? Same with the CPU you choose.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 3649
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 12 2015 1:45 AM

Experience report:

I purchased a laptop with a strong processor, the Intel 4210M (the cpu benchmark is above 4). I don't have a SSD on it but the HDD spins at 7200 rpm instead of the 5400 rpm I had previously. Well, in spite of the fact that I have less memory (4 gb), it is SO much better. I am wowed by the improvement in performance in Logos. 

Posts 928
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 12 2015 2:47 AM

Glad to hear you are satisifed with your purchase, and thanks for sharing your results!

Posts 2221
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 12 2015 9:02 PM

Francis:

Experience report:

I purchased a laptop with a strong processor, the Intel 4210M (the cpu benchmark is above 4). I don't have a SSD on it but the HDD spins at 7200 rpm instead of the 5400 rpm I had previously. Well, in spite of the fact that I have less memory (4 gb), it is SO much better. I am wowed by the improvement in performance in Logos. 

The faster drive would perk things up for sure. While we all crave better machines, the software keeps getting better too. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS