What do I need to do?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 98
Ed Blough | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 27 2010 12:55 PM

I'm planning on getting a new computer. I have my libraries synced to Logos.  I have installed from many sources Nelson, Foundation Publishing, and others.

When I get my new computer what do I need to do if I stay at Logos 3?

If I decide to upgrade to Logos 4?

Ed

Posts 2765
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 1:10 PM

Logos 3 and 4 run happily on hte same machine, just make sure that you syncronise your licences in L3 before you do anything, you may have a large download if you dont save resources (see wiki)

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 27477
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 4:11 PM

Transfer your whole L3 installation (resources, user files and preferences) will give best results. See http://community.logos.com/forums/t/3374.aspx. This will avoid worrying about your various installation CD's, and L4 will have a source for some resources it may not have on its server!

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 98
Ed Blough | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 7:44 AM

Can someone explain to me what has to be done? 

I guess I'm asking both what needs to be done (step by step) and how to accomplish this.

I read Dave's method using Robocopy and I'm totally confused on what is being done to whom and for what reason.

Since I have my library synced isn't there a place I can download Logos program and then have the electronic books downloaded onto my new machine? Or do I have to copy them across? If I have to copy books over which would be best copy them to a memory stick then transfer them to other machine. Or upload them and e-mail them to the other machine?  

I thought the whole purpose of syncing was so Logos knew what I had on my machine and when situations like a new compute occurred you simply had to download them.

Perhaps it would simply be better to order either a new Logos 3 and/or Logos 4 DVD and let them go to town? My initial thought is to get Logos 3 up and running on my new machine and then either immediately or at some later date install Logos 4 (probably later rather than sooner).

Posts 1145
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 8:17 AM

This may sound like forum heresy Big Smile why not call cs for the correct steps.  If I were in your position, I would rather than waiting for someone to give you the easy way to get the results you want.

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 8:32 AM

EdBlough:
I read Dave's method using Robocopy and I'm totally confused on what is being done to whom and for what reason.

EdBlough:
Since I have my library synced

I know this is confusing Ed, but so far it appears that you do have your Libronix (L3) book/resource "licenses" synced with the Logos servers.

Note: When you get L4 up and running you will discover that it uses the term "sync" a little differently -- refers to your "user created" materials -- which adds to confusion & does NOT help.

And neither L3 or L4  "really" is like a commercial sync software that sees the contents of  two different folders and then "makes them the same" by a simple file transfer.

If Dave's instructions are too confusing: if L3 is loaded and you have done "Tools/Library Management/Synchronize Licenses", then when you install L4 it "should" find, download and install your books. But you cannot manually transfer them because the L4 uses a different (resource) file type from the L3 . 

Dave has helped others save on  "download" time by showing them how they can "scan" the location of their present L3 resources into the L4 installation.

Also, L4 installs into a non-standard, unique location. (Into Your User Files) rather than into Program Files.

Because of this, there is also a little different install path for L4 if you have XP versus Vista/Windows 7.

Folks here can get you up and running, but will need a little bit of extra information to help you out.

If you've already provided it or are aware of what I've just shared, then my apologies.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 27477
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 6:27 AM

EdBlough:
I guess I'm asking both what needs to be done (step by step) and how to accomplish this.

1. If L3 is not important to you then the minimum you need to do is copy the resource folder to a USB memory stick**.

2. On the new computer install L4 using  http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/LDLS4Installer/Logos4Setup.exe and let it download and index the resources (6 to 16 hours).

3. If you figure that some resources are missing you can scan the L3 resources from Step 1 (see Method 3 at http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

4. Consider an upgrade to get the most out of L4 -  see http://www.logos.com/minimalcrossgrade

5. You can install L3 from the web if there are some features you need that L4 is currently lacking.**

** The Backup & Restore script I gave you makes a backup of everything that is important and restores it to the new computer.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS