[resolved] Help with formatting when exporting Hebrew to Word documents: word wrapping Hebrew?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 22
Richard Landon | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 3 2015 8:30 PM

I would appreciate any help that might be given with respect to word wrapping Hebrew when I have exported (or cut-n-paste) a Hebrew phrase (not single words)... 

For example if I copy הִכּ֥וֹן לִקְרַאת־אֱלֹהֶ֖יךָ יִשְׂרָאֵֽל from Amos 4:12 into (say) Word, then as I enter English text, and the Hebrew "sentence" (the words above) move toward the end of the line, at some point it hits the end of the line and starts to wrap, but it seems to be wrapping words for English (which would be wrapped from the right to left) verses Hebrew (which would be from left to right).

I have indicated to Word (say) that this text is Hebrew, so I am expecting it to word wrap for that language... not for English. This causes the word order in the Hebrew sentence to become "out of whack" as below:

(1) No word wrapping here:

This is Hebrew, which wraps from left to right,  הִכּ֥וֹן לִקְרַאת־אֱלֹהֶ�יךָ יִשְׂרָאֵֽל and the rest of this sentence is English, which wraps from left to right.

(2) As I add words before the Hebrew.... until it line wraps:

This is Hebrew, which wraps from left to right, and I am now typing words until there is a wrap הִכּ֥וֹן לִקְרַאת־אֱלֹהֶ֖יךָ יִשְׂרָאֵֽל and the rest of this sentence is English, which wraps from left to right.

Note: the word order has changed and the first Hebrew word is now shown first, not last.

I am all for the first becoming last, and the last being first, just not when I am typing Hebrew for an exegetical paper, that's becoming due any day!

Thanks for you help or suggestions.

Posts 25037
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 4 2015 12:56 AM

Mixed L to R and R to L text is never easy. I usually paste the R to L text into the L to R sentence and ensure it does not wrap. But you can add L to R text provided the R to L completely wraps or does not wrap.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 4772
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 4 2015 1:08 AM

I always "cushion" my Hebrew words and phrases with "English spaces" on either side of my insertion point. That usually keeps the Hebrew formatting without messing up the English formatting.

For instance, I would type out...

The word  means "to remember".

The doubled spacing between "word" and "means" gives me a cushion to isolate the Hebrew word when I insert it.

The word זָכַר means "to remember".

Posts 18710
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 4 2015 1:16 AM

David Paul:

I always "cushion" my Hebrew words and phrases with "English spaces" on either side of my insertion point. That usually keeps the Hebrew formatting without messing up the English formatting.

For instance, I would type out...

The word  means "to remember".

The doubled spacing between "word" and "means" gives me a cushion to isolate the Hebrew word when I insert it.

The word זָכַר means "to remember".

That's the way I do it too. Then good luck if you need to move the cursor around through that text after the fact to edit it; it's hard to predict where it will jump to next when you press left or right arrow. Best to get the paste contents just right the first time.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS