scrolling

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3
David N DeMott | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 10 2015 10:02 AM

I'm assuming that I'm missing something very simple, nonetheless I cannot find the solution.  I cannot find out how to change the scrolling options in the ESV.  This is very frustrating when I want to realign a passage.  I go from page to page instead of line by line.  Can someone help me?  Is there a universal scrolling option or one that can be change for individual books?

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 10 2015 10:06 AM

Welcome to the forums. I am not positive I understand what you are trying to do, but I think your problem is the way you have your ESV configured. Click the resource tab (that is the tab at the top left of the resource pane) and set columns to none. This will enable you to scroll vertically.

Posts 30077
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 10 2015 10:33 AM

David N DeMott:
Is there a universal scrolling option or one that can be change for individual books?

As Fred described, the problem is most likely that you have the resource in "page" (column) view rather than "scrolling" view. To change it, you need to make sure that you have columns set to "none." 

This is a resource by resource setting. By default, I believe it is set to "none." See highlighted section of screen shot.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3
David N DeMott | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 10 2015 11:55 AM

Thank your for your quick reply!  All is well.  I don't have to sputter through the word any longer.

Dave

Posts 1
ken jacobsen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2021 8:18 AM

This badly needs to be fixed –it's an example of a setting that is totally unintuitive.

I've been using the LOGOS software for years and the program itself is brilliantly designed.
It makes Kindle look like kindergarten software.
But for something as essential as scrolling through a text, which every user does, there needs to be a setting for 'Scrolling'.
No one will ever know that choosing 'None' in 'Columns' has anything to do with scrolling. It shouldn't.
'Columns' does not mean 'scrolling'.

As it is I wasted hours going through every possible setting over and over again trying to get the text in one window to simply scroll fluidly, like it always had before, and which all the others still did, rather than lurching from chapter to chapter.
It shouldn't require having to waste even more time doing a web search to solve such a basic problem.

PLEASE for the sake of all other users, who are inevitably going to have the same problem, you need to fix this.

Posts 5664
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2021 9:20 AM

Welcome to the forums Ken.

I do agree that this setting is counter-intuitive. A simple re-labeling would do the trick.

However

ken jacobsen:
I wasted hours going through every possible setting over and over

you have, at least, learned that asking here, in this case, would have saved you every wasted hour after the first one.

If a clear question had been formulated and asked it would likely have been answered in less than an hour.

Don't be a stranger and remember that life is for living to the full not wasting.   ;-)

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 30077
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2021 9:31 AM

Mike Binks:
I do agree that this setting is counter-intuitive. A simple re-labeling would do the trick.

What would you rename it?

Posts 826
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2021 9:51 AM

JT (alabama24):

Mike Binks:

Hmmm. this is really tough. Scroll maybe?   

Yesterday's layout icon choices were far more difficult ... instead of Horizontal and Vertical , maybe Chaos-1 and 2. 

Posts 5664
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 7 2021 11:23 AM

JT (alabama24):

I would relabel it thus ...

Scroll     Columns 1  2  3  4  5  Auto

.... if I wanted a quick and dirty fix.

If I wanted to do a professional job I would do it off a scrolling pick-list. Similar to, but not as long as, the scrolling pick-list that they use to select the country, or the county* for ones address.

* Ex-colonials should read 'state' where 'county' is written.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 30077
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 8 2021 5:19 AM

DMB:
Hmmm. this is really tough. Scroll maybe?

But “scroll“ isn’t what “columns” do. 

Posts 30077
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 8 2021 5:26 AM

Mike Binks:

Scroll     Columns 1  2  3  4  5  Auto

That is reasonable, but there isn’t room. At least not on my display. 

Mike Binks:
If I wanted to do a professional job I would do it off a scrolling pick-list.

A pick list may be a better option, but it isn’t a “scrolling” pick list, nor is it “scrolling options.” If you name it thusly, you will have the opposite problem. 

Posts 826
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 8 2021 5:43 AM

JT (alabama24):
But “scroll“ isn’t what “columns” do. 

Well, I suppose they could walk across the hall (or Zoom) and consult with the mobile guys. A scroll switch reveals non-scrollong choices. But this whole speculation presumes that they care in the first place. I'm always surprised the product is largerly pastor-use (who have gobs of time to figure the UI out or watch videos).

Posts 2594
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 8 2021 6:14 AM

JT (alabama24):

Mike Binks:

It really is a reading view setting rather than a scroll setting. None default to scroll... so maybe "Reading View".

Posts 30077
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 8 2021 8:09 AM

DMB:
A scroll switch reveals non-scrollong choices.

I think you provided the best answer. For clarification, however: Turning OFF “scrolling view” reveals the “column” (non-scrolling) options. If that were to be able to be implemented, it would be as close to ideal as possible. 

Posts 30077
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 8 2021 8:13 AM

Here is a screenshot. As D alluded, turning off “scrolling” mode reveals the column choices, and turning it on hides them. I might suggest a labeled toggle instead, however. 

Posts 30077
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 8 2021 8:16 AM

John Fidel:
It really is a reading view setting rather than a scroll setting. None default to scroll... so maybe "Reading View".

You are right, but labeling it “reading view” likely would not have made it easier for Ken to discover. “Scrolling” should be listed somewhere so that it is more discoverable.  

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS