[ACK]Pasting text in Mac won't add reference.

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 42 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 28725
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 11 2015 5:57 PM

J. Remington Bowling:
Sorry but I don't see where Logos has chimed in? Do you work for Logos or anyone else in this thread (I genuinely don't know)?

I edited my post above with a link. No, I am not an employee, but a volunteer "MVP." Employees have the green FL emblem beneath their name (unless they forget and use their personal account, which happens from time to time). 

J. Remington Bowling:
But that doesn't mean the feature isn't bugged. Maybe it's intended to work for word processors generally (see their Noet claim) but it's not functioning correctly.

Advertising claims are another story. I personally don't like to over promise. FL has no qualms about it.

I do think it is safe to say that 80+% of FL customers are using MSFT Office, so the claim is at least 80% accurate. (I don't necessarily like that, but it is true).

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 11 2015 6:00 PM

OneNote is part of MS Office.  You mean MS Word, yes?

Posts 28725
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 11 2015 6:02 PM

Steve:

OneNote is part of MS Office.  You mean MS Word, yes?

I meant "office," of which "word" is the "word processor." 

We have some users beta testing the new version of Office... it would be interesting to see if this feature is working for them in that app. 

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 11 2015 6:29 PM

Yes.  Got confused with some comments inferring something separate from Office - OneNote has been part of MS Office on Windows for a while.  I <think> it came out in 2013 as a free download for MS Office 2011 on Mac?  I'm guessing that the OP is using it and having the subject issue. 

I can confirm it does not work correctly in MS OneNote for Windows compared to working correctly in MS Word for Windows.

Question for OP:  Does it work correctly on MS Word for Mac (not cloud version)?

Posts 28725
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 11 2015 7:24 PM

Steve:
Question for OP:  Does it work correctly on MS Word for Mac (not cloud version)?

He doesn't know because he hasn't downloaded it. I can confirm that it does... but I don't know about the new (2016) version (which wouldnt be the one he would be downloading presently).

Posts 10791
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 12 2015 3:35 AM

J. Remington Bowling:
Sorry but I don't see where Logos has chimed in? Do you work for Logos or anyone else in this thread (I genuinely don't know)?

In the thread for which Alabama provided a link, Martin Potter—a Faithlife employee—posted

Martin Potter:
Pages 5.0 does indeed support footnotes; however, the format they use to store/retrieve that information from the pasteboard when using copy/paste has changed. The old APXL format which was used by Pages 09 is no longer supported and the new (seemingly) internal format does not appear to have any documentation available. Until Apple provides documentation on this new format, we likely will not be able to support footnotes from Logos.

He posted that almost 2 years ago, and Apple still has not seen fit to provide the information or fix the problem.

Neither Alabama nor I are Logos employees. We are simply volunteers struggling to have a life outside the Logos Forums. The rusty star stands for Forum MVP, but we have never really figured out what MVP stands for.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 12 2015 6:20 AM

alabama24:

Steve:

He doesn't know because he hasn't downloaded it. I can confirm that it does... but I don't know about the new (2016) version (which wouldnt be the one he would be downloading presently).

Gotcha.  Thanks.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 12 2015 6:31 AM

BTW: This "is not" an Apple problem, its a Logos problem.
All copy functions work properly with Accordance to : Pages ( old and new), MS Word, etc.
Citations show up properly, instantly- no issues.
Just wanted you to know it works fine with other programs thus, I cannot see how this is an Apple issue instead of Logos.

Blessings.

Posts 28725
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 12 2015 6:48 AM

Well, we can put the heat on them again. It has been a while since they have commented.

Posts 28725
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 12 2015 6:49 AM

I'll send an email.

Posts 576
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 12 2015 10:46 AM

Thanks everyone for the help. 

By way of update, I installed Office 2016 Preview for Mac today and the citation function does work with Word, but still doesn't work with OneNote. However it does work with OneNote on Windows.

Potato resting atop 2020 Mac Pro stand.

Posts 576
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 12 2015 10:52 AM

Okay, so something just occurred to me and it worked.

When pasting text into a document there are several different ways to do this: 

1. Keep Source Formatting

2. Match Formatting

3. Keep Text Only

The default setting for Office programs to keep source formatting. This automatically tries to generate a footnote. Since OneNote doesn't have footnotes the citation doesn't get added into the note. However if you select "keep text only" it works just like it should! 

For some reason on Windows it automatically inserts the citation as text, but on Mac I guess it's trying to insert it as a footnote and then fails to convert it to text.

Anyway, I'm very glad to see that I can simply paste as keep text only and solve my problem for OneNote.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 12 2015 12:03 PM

J. Remington Bowling:

However it does work with OneNote on Windows.

I do not see it working properly with OneNote for Windows.  The complete list of references in a resource is not coming across in OneNote as it does with MS Word.  I tried all three methods - same result - missing details.

MS Word ->

MS OneNote ->

Posts 576
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 12 2015 12:29 PM

Steve,

Apparently I have different copy settings for my Bible passages, because when I paste into Word (on Windows or Mac) it doesn't copy any reference material. 

Try this: copy a chunk of text from a book, besides the Bible, in Word and then in OneNote and see if you have the same issue.

Posts 576
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 12 2015 12:35 PM

Here is what I see on Mac (same thing on Windows)

With OneNote (on Mac with 'Keep Text Only') - 

As you can see, the reference material is the same for both. This applies on Windows as well. Maybe it has something to do with different copy/paste features for Bible verses?

Posts 2046
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 13 2015 12:10 AM

We're investigating. Thanks for the report.

Posts 303
LogosEmployee
Martin Potter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2015 10:45 AM

When we copy information to the clipboard (pasteboard) we provide several different formats: APXL for older versions of Pages/iWorks, RTF and plain text. Citations/references are added as footnotes in both the APXL and RTF content and appended to the end of the text for plain text. MS Word (Windows and Mac) supports footnote content in RTF and so it appears correctly as a footnote in the document. Most of the other editors on the Mac that support RTF don't support footnote content so that information is just ignored and doesn't appear when pasted. When you choose the "Keep Text Only" option it gets the plain text content from the clipboard, which is why you see the citation/references inline.

Unfortunately, when Apple updated Pages, they changed the document and pasteboard format to a new, undocumented format. When we were at WWDC last week we talked with one of the developers there and have filed two bugs/enhancement requests with them: one to properly support the footnote content in RTF instead of just ignoring it and one to document the pasteboard format so that we can use the native document format to copy data to the application.

We have also looking into how we can have the footnote data appear inline for the RTF content when the editor does not properly support the footnote content.

Mac Developer
Faithlife

Posts 28725
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2015 11:22 AM

Thanks Martin. Yes

Posts 1471
Angela Murashov | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2015 10:10 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

This should be fixed in 6.5 Beta 1. 

Posts 506
Tim Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2015 10:48 AM

Angela Murashov:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

This should be fixed in 6.5 Beta 1. 

Yes This is great news! Smile

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS