Logos Atlas vs. Accordance

Page 3 of 3 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 45 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 2057
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2015 3:25 AM

Fr Devin Roza:

What I would hope to see is that eventually what Faithlife currently offers as lots and lots of completely separate maps eventually becomes a single map (or as close to a single map as can be.. the earth itself hasn't changed much over 4000 years) with lots of different optional layers, that users can combine however they want.

Each "story map" from the current system, for example, could simply be a layer, that combines relevant cities, arrows, etc. and just adds them to the map. But you could also have many other types of layers that people have mentioned in this thread (elevation, modern day cities and boundaries, etc., etc.), permit building custom maps. Just combine layers, cities, etc. as you need! 

👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

Posts 13386
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2015 6:43 AM

Fr Devin Roza:
Each "story map" from the current system, for example, could simply be a layer, that combines relevant cities, arrows, etc. and just adds them to the map. But you could also have many other types of layers that people have mentioned in this thread (elevation, modern day cities and boundaries, etc., etc.), permit building custom maps. Just combine layers, cities, etc. as you need! 

That's exactly what I'd like to see.

Some L4/5 maps were a tiny bit like that (place names were effectively added as layers at least on the Biblical World Map), and I was surprised to see a move away from that in L6.

Posts 782
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2015 10:11 AM

Fr Devin Roza:

What I would hope to see is that eventually what Faithlife currently offers as lots and lots of completely separate maps eventually becomes a single map (or as close to a single map as can be.. the earth itself hasn't changed much over 4000 years) with lots of different optional layers, that users can combine however they want.

It's true that the earth hasn't changed much over the period of biblical history (though it has changed: in particular, our base maps of Palestine reflect corrections for several modern water features that we know were different in biblical times). One challenge is that we have so much information available, the interface for building your own maps could be quite complex. We plan ~250 story maps (and that's only covering biblical narratives: many more could be made). We have over 1200 biblical places to choose from (and several hundred others), including cities, regions, rivers, and now roads. On top of that is all the complexity of drawing programs: boxes, arrows, labels, color, thickness, font size, etc. So it's a complex feature to build and support.

I hope we will eventually offer a map-building program like the ones that have been suggested in this thread. But we're currently focusing on reference maps that our customers can use to better understand the biblical text and navigate their libraries. I believe the primary audience for custom map building tools are those who already know many of the facts and want to teach others (a group that is very well-represented on the forums!). We want to serve that group too, but we're not there yet.

Posts 1002
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2015 1:12 PM

Fr Devin Roza:

Thanks for jumping in, Sean!

That type of solution just seems so much simpler, probably much cheaper to develop and maintain (especially long term), and much, much more powerful for the end user.

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes

Posts 2057
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2015 8:39 PM

Thanks for your reply, Sean!

Sean Boisen:
I believe the primary audience for custom map building tools are those who already know many of the facts and want to teach others

I would argue the audience would be quite a bit wider than that. I think any Bible student who is serious about understanding the "context" of the text, would appreciate e.g. being able to see which modern day cities/countries would have been included in David's Kingdom. It's this type of "basic" (it's been done with paper!) ability that is conspicuously lacking.

Posts 1505
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 27 2015 12:08 PM

While reading https://www.logos.com/product/49592/galilee-in-the-late-second-temple-and-mishnaic-periods-volume-1-life-culture-and-society it mentions "The Survey of Western Palestine" which contains 26 19th century maps.

http://www.bibleplaces.com/surveywesternpalestinemaps.htm 
http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~240993~5512445:Composite--Map-of-Western-Palestine 
http://www.pef.org.uk/maps/

These are good for map enthusiasts because these maps were made before the western technology changed things. 

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Page 3 of 3 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS