I am brand new here and I am a little overwhelmed

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 12
Mel T | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 1 2015 8:42 AM

This is the first time I ever endured a complete bible study program and Logo's has so much material in it, that it is overwhelming to me.  I have done Bible studies before and it is so much simpler than this series.  I looked over the instructions and how-to's but there is so much material, I am wondering how to really start? I have the basic series and that alone is packed with so much information.  Logo's 6 is more than likely for an advanced person as my belief indicates. 

This is what I am looking for.  The easiest version of the Bible to read and study such as English Version or the easiest to read, bible studies with questions asked; fill in preferred.  Bible dictionary, concordance, videos and other reference materials.  I know that this is all here but when I go to the members area, I find so many things and for me it is diffficult to find.  Another thing that is why is everything in light blue against a white background?  There tends to be many websites like this on the internet.  At my age and eyesight not as good as when I was younger, it is a little hard for me to read.  Is there anyway that I can make the lettering a little darker?  I know I am asking a lot of questions but even though I purchased the basic version, I still want my interest to prevail.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you very much for reading this.

Posts 2933
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 9:04 AM

Mel T:
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forums, Mel.

Logos can be overwhelming to just about everybody, so don't feel bad about that.

First, do you already own a copy of Logos, or are you still shopping? In other words, are you trying to determine which version to buy, or are you already an owner and trying to determine how to start using it?

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 9:10 AM

Welcome, Mel! You raise several good questions, I am glad you asked them! You will likely get each answered soon. I am at work now, so I can't go into depth. I'll address an easier one: The New Living Translation is a good easy-to-read Bible translation.  There are many others as well.  try it out, and see how you like it. What translation is your personal Bible?

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 22989
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 9:24 AM

Hi Mel - and welcome to the forums.

Mel T:
This is the first time I ever endured a complete bible study program and Logo's has so much material in it, that it is overwhelming to me

Please don't worry about being overwhelmed - there is a lot of functionality and it can take some time to get to know how to use it to achieve your purposes. And please feel free to ask for advise in these forums - that is what they are here for.

Mel T:
I have the basic series and that alone is packed with so much information.

I assume by this you mean the Logos 6 Starter package. Is that correct?

Mel T:
The easiest version of the Bible to read and study such as English Version

Assuming you have the Starter package then you will have a number of English Bibles - such as ESV, KJV, NLT and NRSV (the NIV needs to be purchased separately if you want that). Assuming one of these is ok for your purposes then I would suggest setting it as your "Preferred Bible" 

You do this from the Home Page - click on the gear icon at the top right, check "Choose Preferred Bible" (outlined in red) and then choose the Bible from the panel on the left (again outlined in red)

Then if you simply type a reference into the box at the top of the screen your preferred Bible will open to that place.

Mel T:
Bible dictionary, concordance, videos and other reference materials.

Some useful training videos are available at https://www.logos.com/training/desktop 

Probably worth having a look through those and then coming back with anything that doesn't make sense.

Hope this - and the other replies here - help to get you started

Graham 

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 9:32 AM

I would suggest bookmarking MJ's post here https://community.logos.com/forums/p/105287/728360.aspx#728360  and seeing what you can use.

Posts 12
Mel T | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 10:41 AM

Hi Doc B:

Thank you for answering me.  To answer your questions.  Yes, I have Logo's basic version.  Need to learn how to use it as it is a little complicated.

Posts 12
Mel T | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 10:43 AM

Hi Friedrick:

Thanks for your response.  I am looking forward in further help from you.  Thank you for your interest.

Posts 2933
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 10:59 AM

Mel, of the bibles included in the starter pack, I'd highly recommend the ESV. Others may suggest a paraphrase, and that may need to be the route you take, but for a more traditional translation that is relatively easy to read, I'd pick the ESV. One of the reasons is, the ESV is fully reverse-interlinear, so it will work with some Logos features that a few of the lesser-used bibles will not.

I'm not sure what you are asking about the background stuff. Do you mean that your print is light blue? If you have trouble seeing against a certain background, you can go to Program Settings (in the Tools menu...see the red arrow below),

...then Program Settings-

and pick a background you like better. I use Paper, but there are other choices.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 12
Mel T | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 11:04 AM

Hi Graham:

Thank you for the great tips you have shown.  Yes, I do plan to use the ESV.  It is the easiest for me now since I came of age.  Smile  In the past, when I was an active Christian, going to services, bible studies and even volunteering, I enjoyed it very much.  When I say active, that is for 8 years, then I faded away due to 2 Pasors leaving, changes and me started Church hopping to find where I should be out.  I have experience so many denominations such as Evangelism, Baptist, conservitive Christianity, conventional non-denomination, 4 square, and others and the really only one I enjoyed was Evangelism and even conservative due to the Pastor who was really great guys.  Finally, I just dropped out and that has been since 1994.  That's a real long time since I done anything with Christianity.  I became so discouraged that I just called myself neutral or non practicing Christian.  I have been not reborrn but born a Christian if that makes sense.  Now, with me and my wife at an older age, both having disabilities and suffering pain, I though that it would be best to continue my learning here and not actually going to Church.  It is too much for me to do so and my wife doesn't want it anyway.  Feeling alone in it with my wife not sharing, It will be harder and the only people in this forum I can share beliefs.  I can make friends here and share common interests.

I'll end with prayers and hope to hear from you again.

GOD bless you.

Mel

Posts 12
Mel T | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 11:05 AM

Thanks Kent and I did.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 11:38 AM

As others have said, Welcome to the Forums, Mel.  Be assured that you and your wife will be in our prayers.

Regardless of how you use Logos and the ways it can help with Bible study the most important thing is to keep reading the Bible.  It is there that you will meet Christ Jesus and know the love he has for you and your wife.

Don't ever hesitate to ask questions about Logos and we will help the best we can.

God bless you and your family, Mel.

Posts 9250
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 5:08 PM

I would like to extend my welcome to the forums too Mel. I would encourage you to think of the forums as part of your training plan for Logos. You will find many helpful people in the community to help answer your questions. Many blessings!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1
Lou Ellis Brassington | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 6:20 PM

Mel,

You have made such an important step in your journey back to your relationship with God. Being in the Word, in the Bible is the best way to re-kindle and re-establish your relationship with your Abba Father. Just like the prodigal son, He will run to embrace you and welcome you back home.  So many of us have experienced what you have; you are not alone.  God has led you to this forum for fellowship and encouragement . .  what a miracle!  I will be praying for you and your wife EVERY DAY. 

Love in Christ,

Lou

Posts 1738
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2015 7:26 PM

Welcome Mel....people will roll their eyes when they see my post but Logos is a powerful tool for those who know Hebrew, Greek, etc. and want language studies....but leaves something to be desired for us "commoners" just interested in some basic tools to use quickly in a Bible study (for example).

Still to be fair, they offer free books every month (more and more they are actually useful) and occasionally the developers come up with something useful remembering us "lower shelf" guys like me just struggling to catch up with how best to use Logos in Church on a Sunday Morning.

I hope learning Logos will be a joy and a breeze for you to master.  It has not been for me.   I use it in a Windows format on a Surface Pro 8.1 tablet. 

I am still waiting for them to come up with a way to allow me to open a series of Bible's and Commentaries and link them all together with one click, rather than individually going to each one and choose the "A" to link them for example.  This is the sort of basic functionality that to me is sadly lacking in this pretty good tool we are all - actually blessed - to make use of.

I also struggle with my Android phone version of Logos as its not easy to the change the second book title.  Say you have a bible open at the top, have successfully split your screen and want to open a different bottom screened book.  All I get is a frustrating bunch of icons that make no sense to me and I usually have to start all over to get the books I need.  Silly, right?

The point is...its overwhelming for a lot of us.  Jesus once asked his disciples (so would many Logos developers ask me I am sure) "Are you still so dull?".  I would have answered them both...."Yes, and I thank you for your patience in explaining it to me and dumbing it down for slowpokes like me."

I don't need every nuance of a word.  I just want to click on it and know how to pronounce it immediately - say with a keyclick or a point and click. It would also be nice if the well touted Factbook tool contained more in it without having to spend more money.

Now that would be wonderful.  Its possible to do (no doubt wonderful posters here will tell us) but its a few steps and you have to wonder why its not easier and simple to do.  To me over and over I feel like basic functionality for Logos newbies is just...well...missing.

One word of advice....load up on good commentaries like Tyndale https://www.logos.com/product/8593/tyndale-commentaries which is cheap enough and quite useful and don't spend any money on Logos Now.  Not much in there that's useful : )

Blessings and happy learning,

Joshua in Rhode Island

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 2 2015 6:16 AM

Mel T:
At my age and eyesight not as good as when I was younger, it is a little hard for me to read.  Is there anyway that I can make the lettering a little darker?

May want to try Night Mode => https://wiki.logos.com/Night_Mode

Mel T:
concordance

An alternative to a concordance is Bible Word Study (BWS) => https://wiki.logos.com/Logos_5$3a_Bible_Word_Study

BWS can have more than one section to show all translations of a lemma.  Clicking a segment of a BWS ring shows the verse(s):

The Greek verb χαίρω has 74 translations in the ESV.  Clicking the middle of a BWS ring shows all verses, which is an exhaustive concordance.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 12
Mel T | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2015 12:40 PM

Thank you Doc B:

Sorry I didn't answer sooner but I was busy.  I appreciate your reply.  However, I decided not to continue with LOGOs 6 as I find it very difficult for me to even find what I need.  I think it is way too advanced for me and being 76 years old, have a problem with memory and patience for such detail.  Sorry about that.  I just want to say that it is nice to find people who are interested of others concerns.

Posts 12
Mel T | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2015 12:46 PM

Thanks Graham for responding.

I appreciate that you broke down my questions but to tell you the truth, I have decided to cancel LOGOs 6 as it is too much detail for me.  I don't have as much patience now as I am older and memory not as good as it once was.  Sorry about that but I guess since I am no longer a member, I probably won't hear from you again.  That I can understand as other members who have difficulty will be foremost important to you.  Thanks again.

God Bless you

Posts 12
Mel T | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2015 12:49 PM

Thanks Kent for your reply and link.  I did check it out and I still find problems.  In this case, I have decided to cancel my membership as I find the course is too diffficult for me as being 76 years old, my patience is not as good and memory problems.  Sorry.  I wish you well and

God Bless you.

Posts 12
Mel T | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2015 12:52 PM

Thank you Steve for y our reply.  Just to let you know, I have canceled my membership and I have to find something that is a little more easier for me and laid out in a way that I can understand.  I wish you well.

God Bless you

Posts 12
Mel T | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2015 12:54 PM

Thanks Bruce for your reply.

I have tried very hard to get into LOGOs 6 but is very difficult for me.  Memory not as good and patience in finding material is low.  Thanks anyway but I decided to cancel LOGOs.

My blessings to you.

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS