What is the default dictionary in Logos 5?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4
Jeff Johnson | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jul 2 2015 1:58 PM

When I do a Bible Word Study on "obedient" in 2 Cor. 2:9, I get the screen capture below.  Does anyone know what dictionary Logos is pulling from?  I haven't changed any defaults from when I first installed the program.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 2 2015 2:10 PM

Welcome to the forums, Jeff.  Perhaps one of the forum experts can chime in with an answer, however, we are not seeing the screenshot. 

You can use the paperclip icon and attach a file (picture) of the screen.  That's possible to do even now.  Get your screenshot saved off as a picture and then select the "More" drop down on the top right hand side of your post and pick "Edit".  Then attach the file.

Posts 25769
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 2 2015 2:18 PM

Hi Jeff - and welcome to the forums

Jeff Johnson:

When I do a Bible Word Study on "obedient" in 2 Cor. 2:9, I get the screen capture below.  Does anyone know what dictionary Logos is pulling from?  I haven't changed any defaults from when I first installed the program.

As Steve says we can't see your screenshot. Hopefully his instructions will help you to upload it

Meanwhile this is what I get when running the BWS you specify

(This is from Logos 6 but you should get something similar in 5)

You choose the order of dictionaries by prioritising - details at https://wiki.logos.com/Prioritizing 

Hope this helps a bit, Graham

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 2 2015 3:12 PM

I think, Jeff, you're running a Bible Word Study on the Greek word ὑπήκοος, and looking at the Septuagint translation section. In that section you're seeing the Hebrew words that ὑπήκοος is used to translate. Those words have definitions, or glosses, next to them.

Those glosses are not pulled from a dictionary, but are built into Logos, having been created by in-house scholars at Faithlife. There's a very short explanation from one of the senior developers, here: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/61515.aspx 

PS - Your screenshot didn't work because you pasted it into the forum post. Unfortunately that's not supported. You have to save it to your computer, then upload it, as others have described.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 4
Jeff Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 2 2015 8:04 PM

Many thanks!  This worked.

Posts 4
Jeff Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 2 2015 8:11 PM

Here is the screen shot.

It looks like Logos 5 is pulling from The
American Heritage Dictiony of the English Language

Where I struggle with this definition in Philippians 2:8 is that I am quite sure Jesus was not performing a "duty" (Hebrews 12:2).

The BDAG gives the sense of subjection, which is more fitting

Posts 25769
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 2 2015 10:27 PM

Jeff Johnson:
Where I struggle with this definition in Philippians 2:8 is that I am quite sure Jesus was not performing a "duty" (Hebrews 12:2).

Are you referring to the definition outlined in red below?

If so, this is from the Bible Sense Lexicon which has been produced by Faithlife

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS