Redesign the New/Open Collections UI -- too easy to accidentally wipe out an existing collection

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 19216
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 29 2010 7:50 PM

It's happened again. Another user has been bitten by this poor design. See my earlier thread over in the Logos 4 forum about this, and the latest user to walk into this landmine.

Please redesign how collections work, so that it doesn't automatically open the first collection in your list when you got to "Tools | Collections" but rather you have to specifically choose to open one, so that you can't accidentally wipe out one you'd created. Also ask for a confirmation of saving when you close the collection, and ask for the name of it then. The way it works now is backwards from all Windows apps and it's very confusing to new Logos users.

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 8:11 PM

++

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 8:19 PM

Rosie Perera:

It's happened again. Another user has been bitten by this poor design. See my earlier thread over in the Logos 4 forum about this, and the latest user to walk into this landmine.

Please redesign how collections work, so that it doesn't automatically open the first collection in your list when you got to "Tools | Collections" but rather you have to specifically choose to open one, so that you can't accidentally wipe out one you'd created. Also ask for a confirmation of saving when you close the collection, and ask for the name of it then. The way it works now is backwards from all Windows apps and it's very confusing to new Logos users.

I agree that the current situation is unacceptable.  It would seem logical that when one clicks on "Collections" in the "Tools" section that a blank form should present itself.  I again wiped out a collection today because of the current setup.  If one changes the name of a collection, it would seem more proper to save a second iteration of the same collection under the new name rather than to wipe out the old collection.  Of course, most generally I not only enter a new collection name but a new "start with resources ..." as well and then begin to change the contents of the collection.  About that time I generally realize the error I have made, but the damage has been done. 

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 19216
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 8:23 PM

George Somsel:

If one changes the name of a collection, it would seem more proper to save a second iteration of the same collection under the new name rather than to wipe out the old collection.

Yes! Or at least ask. Logos 4 seems to have a philosophy against bringing up any alerts to ask the user anything. I appreciate the desire to avoid alarming people or confusing people. But the result is either letting people shoot themselves in the foot. When you're always trying to read minds, it doesn't matter if you're usually right; sometimes you'll be wrong, and people won't be happy.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 4:55 AM

I'm going to add my request also...I've messed up some hard fought collection work by this mysterious "don't ask don't tell" scheme also...

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 5:12 AM

I agree

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 5:40 AM

Yes, I add my +1 to yours also. I suggested long time ago already to differentiate between the editing (creating) mode of collections and just opening one (should be default). This would prevent perfectly the situation you speak about. Also it would make collection list better looking and easier to browse. Similar system is used by Passage Guide.

Bohuslav

Posts 10819
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 6:34 AM

I agree with Rosie. This needs to be fixed

Posts 425
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 8:38 AM

Yes Yes

Once bitten, twice shy, but eventually I'll do it again . . .

Dell XPS 8930/Intel Core i7-8700@3.20GHz/32GB RAM/Win10 Pro

Trekstor Primebook/Celeron/4GB RAM/Win10 Home

iPad Air/Pixel/Faithlife Connect

Posts 5620
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 9:41 AM

I agree, AND it's also too easy to delete collections from the drop-down list in the collections window by accidentally clicking on the 'X', since the X is right next to the scroll bar.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 19216
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 5:14 PM

Todd Phillips:

I agree, AND it's also too easy to delete collections from the drop-down list in the collections window by accidentally clicking on the 'X', since the X is right next to the scroll bar.

Yup, I just almost did this for the first time today. Yikes!

Posts 147
Scott H. Clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 5:26 PM

"Are You Sure?"  |YES|  |NO| 

It's not a nuisance.  It's just sensible protection against imperfect users (like me).  Big Smile

+1+1+1+1

Posts 5620
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 5:41 PM

Scott H. Clark:

"Are You Sure?"  |YES|  |NO| 

It's not a nuisance.  It's just sensible protection against imperfect users (like me).  Big Smile

+1+1+1+1

I don't consider confirmation dialogs a nuisance.  It's the lack of them that is a nuisance.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS