A12 - Command Bar Tip

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 3 2010 11:53 PM

I just wanted to say I really enjoy the Command Bar's power.  Tonight I wanted to open up a specific passage, using a certain translation.  Just typing in "esv james 2" was all it took.  How cool!

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 1:52 AM

I tried this, as I have always wanted a quick way of opening a Bible at a passage other than the one I'm studying. For instance, today I am preparing a sermon on Esther 1 and I wanted to open up a separate window with Galatians 3, so I could turn to verse 28 and paste it into my notes.

• I had NIV - Anglicised linked with BHS open at Esther 1.
  • I tried typing  esv Galatians 3 as per your tip.
  • Result: it did not open ESV Galatians 3 in a new window, as I had wanted. Instead it turned to Galatians 3 in my already open NIV - Anglicised, which kind of defeats the purpose. I suppose I'll just have to do it the slow way by opening my Library and selecting a new Bible and opening it at my desired passage. Crying

Any ideas why this doesn't work as I want it too?

I've done a little more exploring here. Even if I close all my Bibles and type "esv Galatians 3", the drop-down only offers me the bible passage and clicking it opens the passage in my default Bible (NIV - Anglicised). However, if I type just "esv" the drop down offers "open ESV" and clicking it opens ESV in its own tab and I can then type a passage in its tab command bar.

Still puzzled. But I'm going to keep exploring because my desideratum - opening an extra Bible copy in another tab at a place unrelated to my already opened linked Bibles - is a thing I'd like to be able to do.

But thanks Joe for the tip!

BTW perhaps I wondered if it was yet possible to link Bibles so that when I'm in OT in my English Bible then BHS displays, but if I change to NT in my English Bible then NA27 displays. I had this running in Libronix 3 for Windows, but have yet to achieve it in either Logos M1.2.2 or Logos 4 Mac.

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 102
Andrew Mercer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 5:06 AM

Alan Macgregor:

I tried this, as I have always wanted a quick way of opening a Bible at a passage other than the one I'm studying. For instance, today I am preparing a sermon on Esther 1 and I wanted to open up a separate window with Galatians 3, so I could turn to verse 28 and paste it into my notes.

I tried as well with Prov 13 in HSCB and nothing happened but a search window on James 3. However, on typing esv James 3, it opened up, after suggesting I go to James 3, a fresh window at James 3 - only in HSCB. HSCB is my default version, maybe that's why it didn't open up in ESV. Cool feature though.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 5:17 AM

Here is my experience with this:

esv rom 2
opens the ESV version to Romans 2

nasb95 rom 2
Opens the nasb to rom 2

NIV or NLT don't work at all.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 8:17 AM

Alan Macgregor:
Any ideas why this doesn't work as I want it too?
The first time you type it in, instead of hitting the ENTER key, let the drop down list of options propagate and then select it from the list.  Let me know if that works.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 8:19 AM

Robert Pavich:
NIV or NLT don't work at all.
It seems this only works with your default Bible.  Mine happened to be ESV.  I tried it with the NET Bible and no luck. However, when I made the NET Bible my default Bible, it worked.

Alos, the command "Go to <verse>" also works to open the default Bible.

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 12:14 PM

Try "open niv to james 2"

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 12:20 PM

Perfect, that was it Tom!  Thanks Cool

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 12:35 PM

Joe, thanks for raising this.

Tom, thanks for refining it.

Job done. Desideratum factum.

Big Smile

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS