BECNT commentary on Acts

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 18 2009 2:15 AM

Do we know when it is going to be possible to get BECNT Darrel Bock's Commentary on Acts in libronix format? Will it come as an update from Baker to the existing collection? Or individual book? I would love to have that in Logos. What you well informed guys think about that commentary? I would love to have some more recent works on Acts. Do you recommend some other one from existing or comming volumes on Acts in Logos? I know we are going to have F.F. Bruce NICNT volume soon. I am happy about that. But I would like to have it combined with some more up-to-date alternative. I use WBC a lot. But there is no Acts in that series yet.

Bohuslav

Posts 1
Bryn Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 10 2009 3:41 PM

I'd love to see that commentary on libronix. Apparently also particularly good in acts are Witherington's Acts as well as Howard Marshall's Acts but i'm not sure if those are available in libronix

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 10 2009 5:11 PM

Logos will publish the BECNT volumes in 3 sets. The first one had 7 books in 8 volumes

Since then, Baker has Published Matthew, Mark, Acts, “1, 2, and 3 John” , and Jude and 2 Peter with James coming in November . 6 volumes total

It could be enough for the second set or they (probably more Baker than Logos) might want to add another volume

In Logos format you have the NAC volume by Polhill and the IVPNTC by Larkin that are very good

the TNTC by Marshall, while  good is not in Logos format yet

I also like David G. Peterson's newly published Acts in PNTC. I like the clarity of the presentation despite the technical nature of the work. This might go in prepub soon since Moo’s Letters to the Colossians and to Philemon was published in 2008 and is already in prepub

Alain

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 11 2009 6:51 AM

BrynWilliams:
Apparently also particularly good in acts are Witherington's Acts as well as Howard Marshall's Acts but i'm not sure if those are available in libronix

There is a volume on Acts by Witherington in the Socio Rhetorical set released earlier this year (or late last year, can't remember).  I have not used it yet, and it's focus is a bit different than usual commentaries, but it should be quite good.

I also like Polhills.

WBC may never get Acts.  Not sure why Scott Bartchy isn't contributing to it anymore.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 12 2009 2:45 PM

Alain Maashe:

Logos will publish the BECNT volumes in 3 sets. The first one had 7 books in 8 volumes

Since then, Baker has Published Matthew, Mark, Acts, “1, 2, and 3 John” , and Jude and 2 Peter with James coming in November . 6 volumes total

It could be enough for the second set or they (probably more Baker than Logos) might want to add another volume

In Logos format you have the NAC volume by Polhill and the IVPNTC by Larkin that are very good

the TNTC by Marshall, while  good is not in Logos format yet

I also like David G. Peterson's newly published Acts in PNTC. I like the clarity of the presentation despite the technical nature of the work. This might go in prepub soon since Moo’s Letters to the Colossians and to Philemon was published in 2008 and is already in prepub

Alain

Yes, I like Polohill NAC on Acts. ALso I just bought a few weeks ago Barret's ICC 2 volume Acts and it looks great, although what I really would like to have is Bock BECNT. I hope Baker will allow Logos to offer it eventually. I hope it will be soon.

Bohuslav

Posts 2
Jeremy Pierce | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2009 6:17 AM

Steve Walton is writing the WBC on Acts. I last heard from him in January 2006, and he was hoping to be done with the first volume in 2007, but he didn't sound confident. I expect it won't be that much longer. He said it will likely be 4+ years once the first is out before the second is published. So don't expect it to be complete very soon.

If anyone has any particular observations about the relative pluses and minuses of Witherington, Bock, and Peterson's commentaries I'd appreciate hearing them. I'm planning to read a commentary on Acts in a few months maybe, and I want to pick one of these three.

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2009 10:05 AM

Jeremy Pierce:
If anyone has any particular observations about the relative pluses and minuses of Witherington, Bock, and Peterson's commentaries I'd appreciate hearing them. I'm planning to read a commentary on Acts in a few months maybe, and I want to pick one of these three.

I have F.F. Bruce Acts from NICNT. I haven't red it through but always I look for something in it, it is very solid and well written. You might look at the list of rated commentaries here: http://www.bestcommentaries.com/category/acts/ I found this list very helpful. Anyways, I am still waiting BECNT Acts of Bock to show up in Logos.

Edited: I just looked at the BestCommentaries web site and they have information on WBC Walton Acts that it should be ready in 2009. Interesting.

Bohuslav

Posts 2859
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2009 11:08 AM

Jeremy Pierce:

Hi Jeremy,

If you are who i think you are, should we in this forum not be the ones asking you about book recommendations?Wink

I prefer Bock, he is easy to read & does expound Acts well. Peterson is equally good but his writing style is rather academic & as for Witherington his commentary on Acts is good. I think his socio-rhetorical expertise is well suited to Acts which he does well but i am more interested in the meaning of the book of Acts. If one wants to understand the book of Acts without getting carried away with other side issues, I will start with Bock. Bock for me is the guy by which all other commentaries should be measured by. What i have read of Peterson was not very inspiring, even though he does the theological content of the book full justice. I hope some will not be put of by my assessment of Peterson's work b/cos it is really a good commentary. Perhaps had i not read Bock i would have given him first place. Bock, Peterson & Witherington would be my rating.

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2009 11:37 AM

Ted Hans:
If you are who i think you are, should we in this forum not be the ones asking you about book recommendations?Wink

It's funny. I just realized I recommended the BestCommentaries site to the Featured Reviewer of that very useful web site Surprise I am sorry for that. I am learning...

Have a great day.

Bohuslav

Posts 2
Jeremy Pierce | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2009 12:30 PM
Thanks, all. No problem. It's because no one seems to have reviewed Peterson yet anywhere (including at that site) that I'm trying to find more information on it. I actually have Bock and Witherington but not Peterson, but I've spent so little time looking at them that I wanted to see if anyone has spent some time in them and especially if anyone can compare them with Peterson. I may know a lot about commentaries on many biblical books, but Acts is one that I haven't kept up on recently. I've been putting it off, knowing that several good commentaries were on their way. Some of those are now out.
Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2009 2:53 PM

Ted,

I agree with you assessment except for the fact that I actually found Peterson to be quite engaging. However,  I used it as a reference and did not attempt to go cover to cover.

More than anything I believe that the format of each series (BECNT and PNTC) is what sets them apart the most when it comes to readability.

this is why I would advise Jeremy to use Bock's commentary in addition to the fact that it is the standard on Acts and a known quantity 

Alain

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS