Clicking on reading plan makes Logos 6 crash again and again

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 92
Daniel M | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 24 2015 11:28 AM

Hi,

I've been using an autogenerated reading plan for the devotional Holiness Day by Day by Jerry Bridges for quite a while without any problems. Since yesterday when I click on the page number of the day on the Home page of Logos 6 it crashes the whole program immediately. I've deleted the reading plan and recreated it to see if that would solve the issue, but after it seemed to work for a bit I'm having the same problem again, keeps crashing. Quite annoying and I don't know how to solve it...

Could anyone help out?

Thanks,

Daniel

Posts 23194
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 24 2015 1:08 PM

Hi Daniel

Please enable diagnostic logging and post logs after a crash

Details at:

Graham 

Posts 92
Daniel M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 25 2015 2:40 AM

7762.Logos Log Files.zip

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your reply!

I've inserted the log files in this post, hope I've done it correctly.

Thanks for your help!

Daniel

Posts 23194
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 25 2015 3:16 AM

Hi Daniel

Daniel M:
I've inserted the log files in this post, hope I've done it correctly.

AbsolutelySmile

The logfile has:

2015-07-25 10:34:58.5935 1 Error AppCommandUtility Invalid logosref uri: logosref:Page.p_148
2015-07-25 10:34:58.7686 1 Error OurApp Unhandled exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at LDLS4.HomePage2.Providers.ReadingPlanHomePageTileProvider.<>c__DisplayClass12.<OpenReadingView>b__11()
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)

which suggests there is an issue on page 148 of the resource. Is that roughly where you are up to in the plan?

I would suggest removing the Bridges book and downloading it again and see if that helps.

You do this by "hiding" and "restoring" it - details at https://wiki.logos.com/Hiding_Books 

Hope this helps, Graham 

Posts 92
Daniel M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 25 2015 4:32 AM

Thanks Graham, yes, p148 is where I'm at, but when I click on another page I have the same problem. I've done a quick hide and restore, but that didn't help. I've now hidden the devotional again, deleted the reading plan and gave the command to rebuild the index, hoping that will work...

I'll let you know if that helps.

Posts 23194
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 25 2015 8:28 AM

Daniel M:
I've done a quick hide and restore, but that didn't help.

Sorry that didn't help

Daniel M:
p148 is where I'm at, but when I click on another page I have the same problem

Can I clarify - is this only an issue when using the Reading Plan or does Logos crash just  when navigating through the resource?

Does anyone else have this resource who can check whether they see similar issues?

Posts 92
Daniel M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 25 2015 8:56 AM

Hi Graham,

Yes, it is only an issue when using the Reading Plan, I can open the resource from the library without problem. Also, it is only a problem in Logos 6 on my PC. In my Android app the reading plan works fine. That's why I thought maybe something has gone awry in the index on the PC. Rebuilding the index is taking ages and affecting the whole computer, won't do that again so quickly...

Thanks!

Posts 92
Daniel M | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2015 6:05 AM

Hi Graham,

Just to follow up on this issue. The index was rebuilt and I unhid the devotional and recreated the reading plan. All worked fine. But as soon as I adjust the reading plan from my Android phone I am back to the same problem on the desktop. I think it might be some kind of a syncing problem between desktop and Android phone. It's not a really big deal as I mostly use the reading plan on my Android devices anyway, but it is strange and I'm not sure if this is just a personal issue (because of markup in the resource or something) or if it is a general bug.

Posts 28548
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2015 6:13 AM

Daniel M:
I'm not sure if this is just a personal issue (because of markup in the resource or something) or if it is a general bug.

You would have to post logs to know. See the link in my signature line.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 92
Daniel M | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2015 6:37 AM

Hi,

I've posted logs before in this thread (see above), but here are today's logfiles as well.

60143.Logos Log Files.zip

Thanks for the help!

Posts 31
LogosEmployee
Jonathan Haas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2015 8:26 AM

Hi Daniel,

I'm sorry that you're crashing here! I'll create a case and see what we can do.

-Jonathan

Posts 92
Daniel M | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2015 8:37 AM

Thanks, much appreciated!

Posts 31
LogosEmployee
Jonathan Haas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2015 11:59 AM

Hi Daniel,

What you stumbled across is actually the symptom of a larger problem. The newest version of the Android application strips out some vital information in the URIs of the reading plan, causing us to be unable to link correctly to the resource in question everywhere a link to that reading plan shows up, including the HomePage and Reading Plan document view. I've added a change in the application that will ignore all of these links, but unfortunately it will make all of the readings in the plan disappear. These changes will go live in an upcoming beta.

Until we come up with a better solution, the best thing to do would be to not modify the reading plan from the Android application unless you don't want to use it in the desktop application anymore, and vice-versa. Reading should be fine between platforms, just the modifying of the reading plan could cause hiccups. 

-Jonathan

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2015 2:54 PM

We're working on a fix for the Android apps and hope to publish a new stable version this week.

Posts 92
Daniel M | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2015 3:48 PM

Thanks Jonathan for looking into it and for your explanation, that's helpful. Thanks Kevin for that update as well.

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2015 5:06 PM

The Android dev team believes they have found the problem and we hope to test/ship a fix tomorrow (at best).

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 28 2015 4:38 PM

We just released the Android 4.6.2 beta 1 version, it should fix the crash issue.

Please see https://community.logos.com/forums/t/113560.aspx .

Posts 92
Daniel M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 29 2015 5:32 AM

Thanks Kevin, that's quick!

Just a question regarding the beta channel, I am not signed up for that at the moment. I read the warnings on the page regarding the possibility of crashes and data getting corrupted. How often might that happen in reality? Are the beta's generally stable with the odd instability and crash or vice versa? Thanks!

Posts 28548
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 29 2015 5:57 AM

Daniel M:
How often might that happen in reality? Are the beta's generally stable with the odd instability and crash or vice versa?

You should ALWAYS take the warnings seriously. If this is a "production" device (i.e. you MUST have it), I would not recommend going on to beta. With that said, I don't have serious problems often... but they can be a doozy at times.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 92
Daniel M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 29 2015 9:37 AM

Thanks for your recommendation and sharing your experience, that's helpful, I think I'll wait for the next regular release then.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS