NIV Bible for Logos not available in Australia

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 24
Howard | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 8 2010 3:21 PM

It seems I cannot unlock the NIV bible to add to Logos because I live in Australia. The local stores listed on Logos as being able to sell the unlock say they can no longer sell Logos licences and this Logos website cannot sell NIV to someone in Australia due to licencing. Its  a little dissapointing and frustrating as my church uses NIV and so do I.  It would also be very useful and time saving to be able to have the NIV open on my notebook alongside other books in Logos. Its a shame that living here means I cannot access something very useful.

I will shortly be going on mission to a developing country and will be in an area where I will not have internet access. Having NIV side by side with other books in Logos on my notebook would be extremely handy and time saving.

Shock, horror, I guess I will just have to use...............the actual paper copy of my NIV!!

Posts 1658
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 3:31 PM

Howard Newby:
It seems I cannot unlock the NIV bible to add to Logos because I live in Australia.

This issue has surfaced before. Some of your "Aussie" friends seem to have found a way around it.

There is an "Angliacized" (sorry for spelling error) available but I do not have information as to how you might access it.

Hopefully someone else on the forum will give you some helpful tips before you leave on the Mission trip..

Regards, SteveF

Posts 352
Mike & Rachel Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 4:21 PM

The NIV copyright is owned by the International Bible Society (now Biblica). They're a nonprofit Bible translation and distribution organization. IBS/Biblica then licenses the NIV to publishers in North America, that publisher is Zondervan. Elsewhere the publisher differs (Hodder & Stoughton in the UK?). Your best bet is to go for the British version, which is available outside North America -- and it'll read better with the normal spellings instead of those crazy American ones (color: what is that??).

Since the forum guidelines don't allow linking to other purchasing sites, I'll just say this:

Google the words: Anglicised NIV Logos Bible Software

You'll find a place to buy it.

Posts 24
Howard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 5:03 PM

Thanks Mike and Steve, much appreciated. Ive just purchased from the Anglo version on Ebay.UK.

I'll go and sit on the couch, have a biscuit and a cup of tea.Yes

Posts 352
Mike & Rachel Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 5:31 PM

Howard Newby:

Thanks Mike and Steve, much appreciated. Ive just purchased from the Anglo version on Ebay.UK.

I'm glad. In some ways I'm jealous. We Canadians have to deal with that atrocious American spelling from the US Zondervan licensed version.

Hmmm. But a cup of tea sounds nice. Nice, indeed.

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 5:36 PM

Mike Aubrey:
We Canadians have to deal with that atrocious American spelling from the US Zondervan licensed version.

Hmmm.... Mike, just be glad that it is so much trouble to add another star to our flag Surprise

Posts 32461
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2010 6:18 PM

Mike Aubrey:
We Canadians have to deal with that atrocious American spelling

Beware - with the new documentation requirements we can get into Canada more easily than getting out ... we may accidentally invade and impose our spelling.

P.S. My brother notes that in England he gets taken for Canadian, an assumption he does not challenge.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 9 2010 9:05 AM

There are no documentation requirements for getting our of Canada - only MAJOR documentation requirements for getting back into USA......

Posts 1691
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 6:16 AM

Howard, do you have one of the base packs?

Posts 73
Matthew Godwin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 10 2010 6:53 AM

Howard Newby:

Ahem, we don't have couches... Please, sit on the sofa and have your cup of tea...

Posts 24
Howard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 12:56 AM

@ Allen, I just have IVP reference collection and Bible Speaks Today series on Libronix, if that answers your questions.

@ Matthew, sofa? What crazy talk is this? You sound confused, perhaps your one of those crazy cats from New Zealand, there all a little different there!

Posts 1691
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 1:07 AM

Howard Newby:
@ Allen, I just have IVP reference collection and Bible Speaks Today series on Libronix, if that answers your questions.

Okay, that makes sense. One solution would be to buy the Bible Study or Leader's Library, which includes NIV. Koorong currently has a 20% special off version 3, or you can get version 4 directly from Logos if you want the extra resources it contains. Either way, you're paying about $1 per book, and it complement the 2 packages you have very well. Additionally, you'll be able to use lots of free PBBs as well (either now in version 3, or mid-year in version 4.)

If you don't want to do that, I noticed in one of Mark Barnes' videos that he has the Anglicized NIV in his demo. I've not tried to buy that, but it looks like it does (or did?) exist.

BTW, I'm in Perth, and there are lots of other Aussies here in the forum. Most have one of the base packs. I'm still a new kid on the block (about 18 months), and I'm still beating myself up that I didn't buy one of the base packs years earlier instead of struggling along with an inadequate Bible package. :-)

And just to be clear, both your packages (IVP ref + BST) will work in Logos 4 if you choose to go that way.

Hope there's a useful lead there somewhere.

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 2:45 AM

Howard Newby:

It seems I cannot unlock the NIV bible to add to Logos because I live in Australia. The local stores listed on Logos as being able to sell the unlock say they can no longer sell Logos licences and this Logos website cannot sell NIV to someone in Australia due to licencing. Its  a little dissapointing and frustrating as my church uses NIV and so do I.  It would also be very useful and time saving to be able to have the NIV open on my notebook alongside other books in Logos. Its a shame that living here means I cannot access something very useful.

I will shortly be going on mission to a developing country and will be in an area where I will not have internet access. Having NIV side by side with other books in Logos on my notebook would be extremely handy and time saving.

Shock, horror, I guess I will just have to use...............the actual paper copy of my NIV!!

I too had these questions and frustrations being in Australia. I got around it by upgrading to Scholars - because it downloads I have full use of TNIV and NIV!

Mike, the irony is, Zondervan are the Australian distributors!

Posts 24
Howard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 7:52 PM

Gday Mark and Allen,

Thanks for the advice, Ive been resisting buying a Leaders Library for some time,largely because Im on a tight budget. But, given the payment plans (even though it ends up costing slightly more) has convinced me.

So now I just have to find time to figure it all out....

Posts 1691
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2010 11:34 PM

That's good news, Howard.

Feel free to email me if you want to talk about your options in Aus. I'm in Perth; reach me as allen at allenbrowne point com and hopefully the spambots won't pick up on that.

Anyway, you won't regret getting one of the base packs.

Posts 24
Howard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 7:45 PM

Thanks Allen, appreciate your assistance.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS