ANNOUNCE: Faithlife ending Logos 5.2b support on September 21, 2015

Page 1 of 4 (64 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 63 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 7026
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 27 2015 2:05 PM

We are changing Logos 5.2b from the "maintenance" support level to "unsupported" on September 21, 2015. (For a full description of these support levels, please see "About Free Support".)

Logos 5.2b will not be disabled. Your existing install will continue to run with the resources you already have. However, new resources purchased from logos.com may not be readable in Logos 5.2b.

If you are running Windows 7 or later, or Mac OS X 10.9 "Mavericks" or later, you can update from Logos 5.2b to Logos 6 for free. (For a discussion of updating vs crossgrading vs upgrading, please see "Ways to Move to Logos 6".) We strongly recommend that all eligible customers move to Logos 6.

If you are running Windows Vista, then 5.2b is the latest version of Logos that can run on your operating system. It will continue to work with the resources you already have, but will no longer receive updates.

If you are running OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion" (or earlier), you may be able to update to OS X 10.10 "Yosemite" for free. (And once you do that, you can install Logos 6.) See Apple's "How to Upgrade" article to determine whether Yosemite is compatible with your computer.

Very few Logos users remain on Vista/10.8, and releasing updates to 5.2b for new resources (to extend Vista/10.8 support) takes development and testing resources. With the upcoming releases of Windows 10 and El Capitan, both Vista and 10.8 will be three major OS versions out-of-date, and we will be retiring our support for them.

Posts 8967
Forum MVP
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2015 4:27 PM

bump

Thank you for the notice.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 6383
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2015 5:45 PM

Before some asks, one reason for all of us to be on the same engine, it makes it easier and cheaper for Faithlife to focus all of its energies on one platform rather than multiple engines. This is one of the reasons that Microsoft is giving away Windows 10. 

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 198
Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2015 6:40 PM

Lynden Williams:

Before some asks, one reason for all of us to be on the same engine, it makes it easier and cheaper for Faithlife to focus all of its energies on one platform rather than multiple engines. This is one of the reasons that Microsoft is giving away Windows 10. 

Or, perhaps MS is giving away Windows 10 for free because they're losing sales to Apple who has been giving away OS X since Mavericks?  Stick out tongue

In Christ,

Charles

Late 2013 27" iMac, Sierra, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, iOS 10.X

Posts 3690
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2015 7:44 PM

Makes complete sense.

Not sure why anyone with an adequate computer would stick with 5 over 6 any way.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum (etc),  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Silver

Posts 1961
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2015 8:29 PM

abondservant:

Not sure why anyone with an adequate computer would stick with 5 over 6 any way.

One statement in the Libronix forum just asked [Jun 13 2015] if Libronix 3.0F runs on win 8.1, 64 bit 

Posts 3690
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2015 9:02 PM

Ahhh yes but libronix is 3, and my statement applied mostly to 5.

6 is much quicker on my machine than 5 ever was... maybe 60 or 70 pct. I forget the results of the time trials I did before (on 5) and after the release on 6.

Plus new features... But for the performance increase alone, the upgrade is worth it.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum (etc),  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Silver

Posts 7026
LogosEmployee

abondservant:
But for the performance increase alone, the upgrade is worth it.

And did I mention… it's free?! Smile

https://www.logos.com/install

Posts 21862
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2015 11:46 PM

David Ames:
One statement in the Libronix forum just asked [Jun 13 2015] if Libronix 3.0F runs on win 8.1, 64 bit 

Libronix is officially incompatible with Win 8/8.1 as they have a version of Internet Explorer higher than v.9 (with a fix!) - no matter that a few users claim that it does work. But 3.0f is not the version to use as 3.0g was the last one released.

Note that Libronix users on Windows 7 SP1 must first install IE11 to get the free upgrade to Windows 10!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 4313
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 28 2015 12:58 AM

Can't IE be deleted to solve the incompatibility with L3? I'm expecting to use it until the Second Coming.

Posts 23649
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 28 2015 1:53 AM

IIRC Libronix 3 depended on IE for its presentation layer. Dave will correct me if I am wrong ... and chuckle at my poor memory.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 218
Dennis Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 28 2015 4:46 AM

The Core Engine is free anything else especially the crossgrade price is outrageous for someone who already has an adequate library and doesn't need the fluff of the packages offered. Since Logos 6 is basically neutered without the datasets which are only available at the Crossgrade level, will I retain use of the datasets I have in logos 5 if I install the core engine or will I lose their function and be forced to spend money I don't want too.

Posts 1399
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 28 2015 4:55 AM

Dennis Miller:
the crossgrade price is outrageous for someone who already has an adequate library and doesn't need the fluff of the packages offered.

I personally didn't see any need to upgrade to Logos 6 when it initially released. But since I took the plunge, what I once view as fluff has now become some of my most used tools. I haven't looked back, and count that money well spent.  

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 11621
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 28 2015 5:02 AM

Dennis Miller:
Since Logos 6 is basically neutered without the datasets which are only available at the Crossgrade level, will I retain use of the datasets I have in logos 5 if I install the core engine or will I lose their function and be forced to spend money I don't want too.

You're never forced to spend money you don't want to. You won't lose any of the datasets you already have access to. You'll lose nothing by getting the L6 core engine, and you'll gain several free improvements.

Posts 6383
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 28 2015 7:24 AM

I wish that there was a way to force Maps to be default when the computer is not online. If no internet I am forced to perform a media search.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 1602
Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 28 2015 7:56 AM

Lynden Williams:

I wish that there was a way to force Maps to be default when the computer is not online. If no internet I am forced to perform a media search.

Hi Lynden,

You may want to start a separate thread on this topic.  It sounds like it be important to discuss separate from this thread.

Posts 21862
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 28 2015 4:50 PM

David Paul:

Can't IE be deleted to solve the incompatibility with L3? I'm expecting to use it until the Second Coming.

IE is necessary for Libronix (same as .NET is needed for Logos 4/5/6) - and it can't be deleted! You might be able to roll back to IE8 or IE9 if you are on Windows 7 (but then you won't be able to update to Win 10, which uses IE11).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 49
Darrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 28 2015 7:42 PM

Yes

Lenovo Win 10_Home_OS,  Logos Bible Software 6.6 SR-1  6.6.0.0059.   Nexus 7 Tablet,  

Samsung gs4 phone Android 4.3   Bible version 4.6.4 (Build 443)

Posts 21862
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 28 2015 10:19 PM

Ummm... Darrell is agreeing with Dennis Miller's comment above, not mine!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 17
Colin Ware | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 29 2015 5:37 AM

I think I understand what is going on here but as I still use Vista it appears I cannot update. It still operates correctly and meets present needs. As far as I know Microsoft are still supporting it. Not sure if it is a good idea to spend money on a new desktop to suit one particular software program. When Microsoft stop supporting Vista I may have to reconsider.

It will however mean I will have to review cancel existing pre-pub orders. No use buying if they wont work. May work for the better in the long term.

Colin

Page 1 of 4 (64 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.