New to me

Page 1 of 5 (82 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 81 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 3 2015 8:44 AM

I got fed up waiting for Logos to code a "New to me" feature on the website — so I made this. It's creaky at the moment, but it works well enough for me. Is it worth me putting the effort in to make it publicly accessible? How useful would you find it?

(It works by asking me to upload my Logos library file, which is then stored on the server to save me time in the future. Then I copy/paste the URL of a Logos product page. The site scrapes the page to find out which resources are included in the product, compares them with my library, and produces a page like this.)

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 6779
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 8:49 AM

Interesting Mark. Could be very helpful in the topical bundles. Which server is the file stored on?

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 742
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 8:52 AM

Hi Mark sounds very interesting - perhaps we could progressively replace Faithlife's entire decision making staff - LOL

not serious by the way!

Shalom

Posts 2784
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 8:54 AM

I think this is great, Mark. Doing these things appear to be truly your gift. Smile

I would find it useful, as I often run into the issue that this is designed to address.

Thanks

Posts 620
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 9:31 AM

Yes

Looks interesting.

Could Logos take what you did and possibly implement it in a much larger way to give this feature to everyone? 

Posts 738
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 9:34 AM

Looks excellent Mark! It's a shame FL still hasn't added a comprehensive and accurate "new to me" that covers all products and packages. Hopefully they will glean from your effort.

Posts 352
Cynthia Tucker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 9:43 AM

Yes! Please share! Big Smile

Author of the Chronological Word Truth Life Bible Series

WordTruthLifeBible.com

Posts 9827
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 9:57 AM

This does look promising. I really don't understand why this feature is not currently available but, like many things, I guess I just don't understand the fuller picture.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 529
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 10:08 AM

Yes, please make this available. Even if it is "clunky" it is way better than nothing.

Posts 746
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 10:44 AM

I like the idea. For the life of me, I can't figure out why Logos doesn't get this done. They have missed some serious $$$ on past purchases because I don't have the time nor inclination to see what's new to me in new purchases.

Posts 4166
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 10:48 AM

I would find it VERY useful. From a pragmatic perspective unless you're self hosted or have near infinite server space, you might want to code it so that people can use a drop box link, or something along those lines this way the library file lives on our computers without cluttering up yours. It would be able to persist this way, as long as no one removes the file from their dropbox (or whichever service).

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 1088
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 10:49 AM

That's fantastic! Would love for it to be more widely available.

I was toying with making a chrome plugin that cross referenced with biblia.com, but I've held off because I guessed it would be fragile and slow. Thanks for showing us the possibilities. I've been wondering what's new to me in https://www.logos.com/product/43743/baker-academic-biblical-studies-bundle

Posts 4166
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 10:51 AM

Or this bundle as well...
https://vyrso.com/bakerbundle?utm_source=blog.vyrso.com&utm_medium=blog&utm_content=save674withvyrsosexclusivenewbundle&utm_campaign=promo-vyrsobakerbundle2015

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 30654
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 11:02 AM

abondservant:

you need to add a space to make that hyperlink active.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 934
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 12:23 PM

I too would be interested in something like this. 

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 1:46 PM

OK, it's online at www.mylogoslibrary.com. Consider it to be in beta, and I can't make any guarantees about accuracy. It should be self-explanatory, but if not, please ask.

In addition to showing you which resources you don't own, it's quite handy for two other features:

1. You can browse resources by author/publisher and also by subject. So, you could see, for example, all the commentaries on 1 Peter (and find out which ones you don't yet own).
  2. You can also see if individual resources are compatible with older versions of Logos/Libronix.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 1:59 PM

Jesse Blevins:
Could Logos take what you did and possibly implement it in a much larger way to give this feature to everyone? 

Logos are already able to do this, they just haven't managed to integrate it into the website yet or made it public. Standalone is (relatively) easy Smile.

abondservant:

I would find it VERY useful. From a pragmatic perspective unless you're self hosted or have near infinite server space, you might want to code it so that people can use a drop box link, or something along those lines this way the library file lives on our computers without cluttering up yours. It would be able to persist this way, as long as no one removes the file from their dropbox (or whichever service).

It aggregates the data, so it doesn't waste space. You can think of it as a MySQL database that merges everyone's catalog.db into one database, and then just stores a list of which resource IDs are owned by which people. Each new user will only add about 150kb for every 1,000 resources they own.

William Gabriel:
I was toying with making a chrome plugin that cross referenced with biblia.com, but I've held off because I guessed it would be fragile and slow. Thanks for showing us the possibilities. I've been wondering what's new to me in https://www.logos.com/product/43743/baker-academic-biblical-studies-bundle

Once you've uploaded your file, you'll be able to access the Baker Academic Biblical Studies bundle at this URL: http://www.mylogoslibrary.com/newtome.php?product_page=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.logos.com%2Fproduct%2F43743%2Fbaker-academic-biblical-studies-bundle

abondservant:

https://vyrso.com/bakerbundle 

It won't support Vyrso, I'm sorry. They don't publish resource IDs on the Vyrso website, and without those IDs I'm sunk.

Posts 2857
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 2:03 PM

Funny this popped up today, I Just tried it because I was interested in what resources I didn't have in a couple of the expansion collections! It seemed to work perfectly!

A couple of minor comments:

1. I was not sure it was finished when I uploaded my db file. I saw the progress bar was finished, but I interpreted that to mean upload was done, and I was not sure if it was now processing something or not. I took a chance and clicked on the Home page and it worked. It might be a little clearer if it either said it was finished, or jumped me to the home page.

2. Most of the icons had the not found or not available symbol instead of an icon.

3. What I suspect is some of the resource I do not own in the expansion collections are not out yet. WOuld there be an easy way to show in the report whether the resources are out yet or not?

Very nice tool Mark, thanks for sharing!

Posts 2857
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 2:07 PM

One other thing - it said I have 26,128 resources; Library in Verbum says I have 22,361, which includes 298 personal books and 286 Vyrso books. COuld there be that many internal resources in Verbum (I count only 29 datasets), or is there old/extraneous stuff in there?

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2015 2:17 PM

Don Awalt:
1. I was not sure it was finished when I uploaded my db file. I saw the progress bar was finished, but I interpreted that to mean upload was done, and I was not sure if it was now processing something or not. I took a chance and clicked on the Home page and it worked. It might be a little clearer if it either said it was finished, or jumped me to the home page.

There is a short processing time after upload (which will continue in the background even if you clicked away). It should have given you a message when it had finished processing. I have added a note to say that it might appear to 'stick' after the upload.

Don Awalt:
Most of the icons had the not found or not available symbol instead of an icon.

Which icons?

Don Awalt:
What I suspect is some of the resource I do not own in the expansion collections are not out yet. WOuld there be an easy way to show in the report whether the resources are out yet or not?

There's no indication of the Master Expansion pack product page that some resources aren't yet available. Is there something missing from my database that you were expecting?

Don Awalt:

One other thing - it said I have 26,128 resources; Library in Verbum says I have 22,361, which includes 298 personal books and 286 Vyrso books. COuld there be that many internal resources in Verbum (I count only 29 datasets), or is there old/extraneous stuff in there?

The 26,128 figure is the total number of distinct resources that the website knows about. Your figure should be shown on the "Don Awalt" tab. That figure will exclude PBs, but will include datasets.

Page 1 of 5 (82 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS