Faithlife websites down?

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 9110
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 4 2015 4:48 PM

For the last several hours I've not been able to access Faithlife websites. Was it just me or were they down for a few hours?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 6
John Owens | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2015 4:59 PM

8pm Eastern and I still can't get on.  To bring up Logos, I had to hit the "skip" to end it trying to sync.

Posts 191
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2015 4:59 PM

Bruce Dunning:

For the last several hours I've not been able to access Faithlife websites. Was it just me or were they down for a few hours?

I called customer service.  They confirmed the servers were down.  It wasn't just the websites.  I wasn't able to synchronize with Logos either while the servers were down.

Posts 1657
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2015 5:01 PM

You can check the status of their websites here: http://status.faithlife.com 

Scroll to the bottom to see the history of past incidents.

Posts 790
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2015 5:05 PM

Couldn't even get on the forums. Seems the forums are back up but it looks like the rest of the network is down.

Posts 9110
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2015 5:09 PM

Whatever the cause is, it seems to be fairly significant. I hope they can get things back up soon.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2015 5:14 PM

OK...explains why Visual Copy is not working.

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2015 5:18 PM

Just got the notice that they are back up and running. Big Smile

Posts 613
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2015 5:18 PM

Couldn't access forums or Logos.com earlier today. Seems like a few pages are back, but the deeper you try to go, pages time out

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2015 5:23 PM

Ted Weis:

Couldn't access forums or Logos.com earlier today. Seems like a few pages are back, but the deeper you try to go, pages time out

From what I understand, the sites are still in the process of coming back online. It's only been a few minutes.

Posts 9110
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2015 5:33 PM

Looks like Logos.com is up now.

Posts 2340
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2015 6:07 PM

I'm glad they didn't take too long to get it back up again. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2015 6:13 PM

Wow!  A Couple of hours seems like a long time ... at least to me.  I'm glad we are back.

Smile

Posts 1692
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2015 10:19 PM

There will be more detailed information in the next couple days, but the preliminary report I have is that:

A) We're back online.

B) The cause was a physically loose fiber-optic connector somewhere on the dedicated link we have between data centers, at one of our vendor's facilities. 

C) The main link is back up (it's plugged in firmly!)

D) We've configured a redundant link that can be put in place in 10 minutes or less if this happens again (unlikely).

E) We'll be revisiting the network topology to ensure we can keep all the services up if we lose the link.

It seems that no matter how sophisticated the technology gets, "Did you try unplugging it, then plugging it back in?" will remain the number one technical support answer. :-)

Posts 5262
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2015 10:37 PM

Bob Pritchett:
It seems that no matter how sophisticated the technology gets, "Did you try unplugging it, then plugging it back in?" will remain the number one technical support answer. :-)

I was just happy to learn it was technical...sometimes one can get paranoid and think cyber attack of some sort especially after that horrible spamming a few weeks ago.

-Dan

Posts 693
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 5 2015 2:19 AM

Thanks Bob

The time was such that it didn't affect me - however it is always good to be explicitly told the cause, immediate and medium term solution.

Shalom

Posts 2278
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 5 2015 3:30 AM

I thought it might also be worth highlighting that Faithlife did provide some status updates via Twitter (@Logos and @FaithlifeOps). I thought this might be helpful to know should the site go down again in the future. 

Posts 994
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 5 2015 4:46 AM

Andy Evans:

I thought it might also be worth highlighting that Faithlife did provide some status updates via Twitter (@Logos and @FaithlifeOps). I thought this might be helpful to know should the site go down again in the future. 

Personally I do not like Twitter and seldom use it but at times like that it is a great way to keep in touch and share links to an unaffected updates web page..

Posts 9110
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 5 2015 5:01 AM

Thanks for the explanation Bob. I can imagine it was quite a frustrating day for your team but am glad that it seems to have been fixed.

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 5 2015 5:48 AM

Thanks Bob; Happy to be fully functioning again.

Please ensure the IT team by letting them know that these simple things do happen. They are trained to look for the complex at that level. Smile

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS