New Feature: Psalms Explorer (Dataset)

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 249
LogosEmployee
Jacob Cerone | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 10 2015 10:53 AM

What is it?

The Psalms Explorer dataset, not to be confused with the interactive, is a dataset containing information about a Psalm's genre, attribution, structure, and more.

How does it work?

The Psalms Explorer dataset makes the the Psalms Explorer not just sortable, but searchable. Now you can isolate not just every lament psalm written by David, but every Davidic lament psalm containing the word "sin." Search specific words, phrases, cultural concepts, and more within any combination of genres, attributions, structure, and other tags.

Where can I learn more?

Posts 21526
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 10 2015 12:07 PM

Very niceYesBig Smile

Posts 1528
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 10 2015 12:19 PM

Awesome! Yes

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 821
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 10 2015 12:24 PM

That's really good. Is there any documentation (or just a listing) of the search fields anywhere, please? 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 249
LogosEmployee
Jacob Cerone | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 10 2015 12:32 PM

The Psalms Explorer Interaction should function in place of the documentation. The search syntax is the same for labels. Use

{Label Psalm WHERE . . . } in conjunction with the tags that are provided in the Psalms Explorer. So,

• Genre =
    • "Lament"
    • "Praise"
    • "Hymn"
    • "Royal"
    • "Wisdom"
    • "Thanksgiving"
    • "Trust"
  • Attribution = 
    • "David"
    • "Anonymous"
    • "Asaph"
    • "David (LXX)"
    • "Korahites"
    • "Anonymous (LXX)"
    • "Haggai (LXX)"
    • "Zechariah (LXX)"
    • "Solomon"
    • "Ethan the Ezrahite"
    • "Heman the Ezrahit"
    • "Moses"
  • Structure = 
    • "Strophe"
    • "Chiasm"
    • "Acrostic"

etc.

Posts 1791
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 10 2015 3:33 PM

Thanks Jacob for a further explanation

Posts 249
LogosEmployee
Jacob Cerone | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 10 2015 3:42 PM

Kenneth Neighoff:

Thanks Jacob for a further explanation

Happy to help!

Posts 1392
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 11 2015 6:01 AM

Jacob Cerone:

• Attribution =
  • "Lament"
  • "Praise"
  • "Hymn"
  • "Royal"
  • "Wisdom"
  • "Thanksgiving"
  • "Trust"

Think those should be "Genres" ehh ;-)

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 8758
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 11 2015 6:05 AM

I love this new feature and was playing around with it a bit today when it downloaded.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1392
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 11 2015 6:07 AM

Jacob Cerone:
with the tags that are provided in the Psalms Explorer

I can't seem to get any results with the "Theme" or "Tag" filters. Are these fields included in the data?

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 1392
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 11 2015 6:12 AM

Bruce Dunning:

I love this new feature...This is another great interactive.

Just to prevent confusion with regard to Jacob's explanation (see below), this is the new capability to search on the info that is contained in the interactive, as well as see this tagging in the information panel while reading the Psalms.

Jacob Cerone:
The Psalms Explorer dataset, not to be confused with the interactive, is a dataset containing information about a Psalm's genre, attribution, structure, and more.

Posts 8758
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 11 2015 6:39 AM

Thanks for the reminder James.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 146
Joe Mayden | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 11 2015 6:41 AM

Jacob, is this feature available in Proverbs?  

Posts 27
Jacob Cerone | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 11 2015 6:46 AM

Joe Mayden:

Jacob, is this feature available in Proverbs?  

Joe, this is not available for Proverbs, but I'll pass on your desire for it to be to the right people.

Concerning searching for themes, you will need to search for the label "preaching theme." Its 6:45AM in Bellingham and I'm walking my dogs, but when I get to my computer, I'll post with the search syntax ;)

Posts 249
LogosEmployee
Jacob Cerone | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 11 2015 6:58 AM

James Taylor:

Think those should be "Genres" ehh ;-)

Thanks for catching that! I've corrected it in the original post.

Posts 1392
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 11 2015 7:07 AM

Thanks Jacob and I'm guessing there's a special send text to search for the tags as well this is great thank you for your work on this also and I definitely agree that this capability with be nice for the Proverbs interactive as well and while we're on the subject I think many of these interactives could become visible through the information panel as well as having corresponding datasets to search

Posts 249
LogosEmployee
Jacob Cerone | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 11 2015 7:58 AM

James Taylor:

I can't seem to get any results with the "Theme" or "Tag" filters. Are these fields included in the data?

The syntax for this is:

{Section <PreachingTheme xxx>}

Fill xxx in with the themes listed in the Psalms Explorer. An example might be:

{Section <PreachingTheme God: Power>} AND strength WITHIN {Label Psalm}

This looks for every Psalm that has the theme Power occurs with the English word "strength" within the Psalm.

Regarding "Tag," I didn't have a problem searching for them. I used the syntax:

{Label Psalm WHERE Tag = "Superscription"}

Posts 1392
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 11 2015 2:38 PM

Jacob Cerone:
I didn't have a problem searching for them.

I get limited results that don't correspond to the interactive.  In the interactive when I filter by the tag "Messianic" it shows 15 Psalms. 

But when I search for them as you described, {Label Psalm WHERE Tag = "Messianic"} I only show 2 Psalms (though it shows a result for each verse of the Psalm as expected, (41 verses total))

Aren't I correct that this search, if working properly, should show all of the verses of the 15 Psalms that the interactive lists as tag= Messianic ?

Posts 1392
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 11 2015 2:59 PM

Two more things, 1 being an observation/bug and the other a suggestion if not an oversight. 

1. The Psalms explorer interactive has the capability in the resource panel menu to have it on a link set. When I attempt this, nothing happens...

2. When I see the data tagging on the information tool it seems the only field missing is the "theme". Is that intentional or a bug/oversight? I think it would be useful to see, at least as much as all the other fields are useful.  

Posts 21526
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 11 2015 3:09 PM

James Taylor:
1. The Psalms explorer interactive has the capability in the resource panel menu to have it on a link set. When I attempt this, nothing happens...

This is a known issue - the interactive doesn't currently support this capability and the option shouldn't appear in the panel - see https://community.logos.com/forums/p/101769/704075.aspx#704075 for a comment from Eli on this

James Taylor:
2. When I see the data tagging on the information tool it seems the only field missing is the "theme". Is that intentional or a bug/oversight? I think it would be useful to see, at least as much as all the other fields are useful.

Agreed

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS