Filtered Word Lists

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 58
Joseph Dillow | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 15 2015 8:07 AM

The word list capability with the smartphone app is very helpful.  However, to make it really useful, I would like to be able to filter it by, say, all lemmas used 10 times or less (or 20, or 50, etc) in the Greek or Hebrew text.  Is there a way to do that?  If not, is that feature going to be added?

Posts 26963
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 15 2015 11:39 PM

Please address your enquiry to the appropriate forum - iPhone/iPad Apps, Android Apps, Windows Apps

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 58
Joseph Dillow | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 16 2015 1:10 AM

I thought that since word lists are not created on smartphone apps and can be used on either the smartphone or computer, that I should post this on the General Forum and not the smartphone forum.  Is this incorrect?

Posts 12076
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 16 2015 6:42 AM

Joseph Dillow:

The word list capability with the smartphone app is very helpful.  However, to make it really useful, I would like to be able to filter it by, say, all lemmas used 10 times or less (or 20, or 50, etc) in the Greek or Hebrew text.  Is there a way to do that?  If not, is that feature going to be added?

You can sort the Word List by occurence (in the text you were creating it from) and simply delete those you think are too rare or too common. Or you use the "intersection" feature by creating a list of words occuring in your text and also in a Vocabulary of the most/least used words.

Does this help? 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 16 2015 9:39 AM

To further extend NB Mick's answer, the way of doing this on Logos is to:

1. Create a word list for the whole NT (or borrow one via shared documents), and sort by number of occurrences.
  2. Create copies of this list that contains only lemmas with certain ranges of occurrences (e.g. 0-9, 10-19, 20-49, 50-99, 100+)
  3. Use the 'intersection' facility with your existing list to create a new list that only contains the lemmas with the right amount of occurrences.
Posts 58
Joseph Dillow | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 16 2015 11:44 AM

Thanks, Mark. That is was I was when I posted the question.  I created a Word list of the NA27. However, it is not displayed by frequency “count” and there is no option anywhere I can see to sort it.  Clicking “count” does nothing.  How do I sort?

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 16 2015 1:15 PM

Joseph Dillow:

Thanks, Mark. That is was I was when I posted the question.  I created a Word list of the NA27. However, it is not displayed by frequency “count” and there is no option anywhere I can see to sort it.  Clicking “count” does nothing.  How do I sort?

Clicking the column headers sorts for me (Logos 6 on Windows).

Posts 58
Joseph Dillow | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 18 2015 10:08 AM

Yes, that seems to be the way should work, but my problem is that when I click the column heading "count" it does nothing  - no sort???  

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 18 2015 10:46 AM

Joseph Dillow:

Yes, that seems to be the way should work, but my problem is that when I click the column heading "count" it does nothing  - no sort???  

That's odd. Are you on Windows or Mac? Which version of Logos?

Posts 58
Joseph Dillow | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 18 2015 10:51 AM

OK  .. I figured it out.  When Logos created my world list, it put "Card Front" by default in the field above the lists.  When I dragged "Card Front" back onto the column heading "Card Front" so the field above the lists is blank,  the list sorted by frequency automatically.  I can now click "Count" and it will sort ascending or descending.  I have no idea why this should make a difference in whether word lists will sort by frequency.???

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 18 2015 11:13 AM

Joseph Dillow:
OK  .. I figured it out.  When Logos created my world list, it put "Card Front" by default in the field above the lists.  When I dragged "Card Front" back onto the column heading "Card Front" so the field above the lists is blank,  the list sorted by frequency automatically.  I can now click "Count" and it will sort ascending or descending.  I have no idea why this should make a difference in whether word lists will sort by frequency.???

The "field above the lists" allows you to group your list. Sorting will occur within the group, but in your case each different word was in a different group, and therefore no sorting occurred.

Posts 58
Joseph Dillow | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 18 2015 12:36 PM

I am on Windows 10

Posts 58
Joseph Dillow | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 18 2015 12:38 PM

I cannot see how to create "copies of this list."   How do you make a copy of a word list.  This should be obvious to me, but I cannot see simple way to do this.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS