Breakout 7: What are those right angle brackets?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 111
Zak Metz | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 22 2015 11:16 AM

In LEB, there are right angle brackets frequently around words and phrases. I can't figure out what they mean, and I can't seem to make them disappear. So what do they mean, and how can I hide them so they're not so distracting?

See Eze 1 1, "Kebar River":

Posts 29373
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 22 2015 11:29 AM

Zak Metz:
I can't figure out what they mean, and I can't seem to make them disappear.

You can't make them disappear and it isn't a "bug." It is a characteristic of the translation (and some other translations are similar). 

From the introductory notes: "Second, some expressions in biblical languages are idiomatic, so that a literal translation would be meaningless or would miscommunicate the true meaning. The LEB uses lower corner brackets to indicate such expressions, with a literal rendering given in a note."

See HERE.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2527
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 22 2015 11:32 AM

Hi Zak,

Welcome and I am glad you love Logos!

The LEB brackets have footnotes that show literal translations. You can remove them by clicking on the icon with the three dots and checking the box for Bible Text Only as follows:

s:

Posts 29373
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 22 2015 11:44 AM

John Fidel:
The LEB brackets have footnotes that show literal translations. You can remove them by clicking on the icon with the three dots and checking the box for Bible Text Only as follows:

Good call John. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 111
Zak Metz | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 22 2015 2:33 PM

They go away when I deselect Non-Bible Text, but I didn't want to lose the other stuff that goes away, like book names, section headings. Seems like they should go away when Footnote Indicators is deselected instead, since you say they are related to footnotes. Maybe an enhancement request.

Posts 26609
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 23 2015 1:35 AM

Zak Metz:
Maybe an enhancement request.

Yes - an extra option for Bible Text only

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS