Update failing

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 30 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 470
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 28 2015 8:06 AM

Hi,

I am running Logos 6 on Windows 10. This morning when I started Logos it indicated that it was downloading 115 MB of updates. After the update it attempted to install for a short while and a pop-up box appeared that said. "The installation of Logos Bible Software did not succeed. I shut down and started Logos using the ctrl key to a blank work-space and the same thing occurred.  I restarted windows and still had the same result when I started Logos. I am hopefuilly attaching files. Thanks for any help you can give.

6562.LogosSetup.zip2768.Logos.zip

Posts 4632
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 28 2015 8:22 AM

I am not an expert, but it seems that the problem is either a security software issue or a permissions issue. According MS that is what MsInstallProduct failure 1603 is. Assuming your user account permissions are not the problem, try disabling any security software you may have running. If that does not work I would contact Tech Support.

Posts 470
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 28 2015 8:34 AM

Thanks Fred,

I am simply using Windows Defender. I shut that off and tried again with no success. I will contact customer service.

Posts 64
Warren Dane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 28 2015 10:44 AM

I am experiencing the same problem. After 3 tries the (2) icon on the menu line of Logos says an application update has been installed and to restart Logos 6. When I do so I get the same "installation failed" message as cited above. When I check the version of Logos 6 it remains version 6.5 NOT 6.5 SR-1. I turned off the Norton Smart Firewall to see if that was the problem. It made no difference. "Installation failed" continues to reappear every time I seek to do the installation by restarting Logos 6.  I'm using Windows 10 on my laptop.

The update installed on my desktop (Win7) without an issue. Apparently the Win 10 security features are overly restrictive. ??

Posts 64
Warren Dane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 28 2015 11:03 AM

I just found a quick solution. It worked for another program I have in Win 10. I opened Logos 6 with "run as administrator" and everything went smoothly. Logos 6.5 is not Logos 6.5 SR1 on my Win 10 laptop.

Win 10 seems to prefer administrator authority when loading a program.  I am in fact the administrator for my laptop and desktop as established when installing the OS, however, that apparently is not sufficient. Loading a specific program as "administrator" seems to be preferable to Win 10. If you right click the Logos 6 icon, select properties and select the shortcut tab>advanced>run as administrator that should automatically run logos in that mode in the future and perhaps prevent the experience we are dealing with in this case. ??

Posts 64
Warren Dane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 28 2015 11:05 AM

"not" should be "now" in the above reply. Sorry.

Posts 42
LogosEmployee
Bryan Albert | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 28 2015 1:30 PM

On a Windows machine, Logos launches LogosSetup.exe in the background, which then launches Microsoft's Windows Installer to install the Logos application update. Windows Installer is returning the 1603 error code, which means, "A fatal error occurred during installation."

Windows Installer logs its activities to a log file, which should be found in the same folder as the LogosSetup.log, named DigitalLibraryInstall.log. If someone experiencing this problem could reply with the DigitalLibraryInstall.log file, it could really help in figuring out what's going on. 

Thanks!

Bryan

Posts 470
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 28 2015 1:35 PM

Bryan,

Here you go. Thanks for checking into this.

0412.DigitalLibraryInstall.log

Posts 42
LogosEmployee
Bryan Albert | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 28 2015 2:47 PM

Nord,

Does your machine's C:\Users\Lockport\AppData\Local\Logos4 folder have a folder named System? You may need to copy and paste that path into the Address Bar of Windows Explorer, depending on your Windows Explorer settings. If so, with Logos not running, see if you can delete that folder. If you can, see if Logos can then update when you launch it—it should be able to. (Windows Installer is saying that it doesn't have access to the folder C:\Users\Lockport\AppData\Local\Logos4\System\nl, which doesn't make a lot of sense...)

Thanks,

Bryan

Posts 470
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 28 2015 3:25 PM

Thanks Bryan,

I already left my office so will not be able to try that until tomorrow. I will report back here how that works.

Thanks, Nord

Posts 6
Martin Ricquebourg | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 28 2015 11:36 PM

Hi Warren, thanks for your suggestion.  I was also not managing to install the new 115 Mb update (tried 3 times on Windows 10).  Running Logos.exe as administrator worked. 

Posts 27780
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 29 2015 5:39 AM

Martin Ricquebourg:

Hi Warren, thanks for your suggestion.  I was also not managing to install the new 115 Mb update (tried 3 times on Windows 10).  Running Logos.exe as administrator worked. 

that isn't recommended. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 470
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 31 2015 9:04 AM

Bryan Albert:
Does your machine's C:\Users\Lockport\AppData\Local\Logos4 folder have a folder named System? You may need to copy and paste that path into the Address Bar of Windows Explorer, depending on your Windows Explorer settings. If so, with Logos not running, see if you can delete that folder. If you can, see if Logos can then update when you launch it—it should be able to. (Windows Installer is saying that it doesn't have access to the folder C:\Users\Lockport\AppData\Local\Logos4\System\nl, which doesn't make a lot of sense...)

Bryan,

The only way I can find that folder is when the installer has run and failed. If I close the installer the folder is no longer visible in File Explorer. I did delete when I could see it and that did not help. I have tried to install from the website as Kevin in customer service suggested to me and that did not help either. I noted that this references Libronix files. I had Libronix installed on my computer, but don't use it anymore so uninstalled it and that still did not help. What should I try next?

Posts 470
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 31 2015 9:27 AM

Here are the new logs:

3441.Logos (2).zip

1781.LogosSetup (2).zip

Posts 42
LogosEmployee
Bryan Albert | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 31 2015 10:02 AM

Could you please upload the newly-created DigitalLibraryInstall.log file? 

Thanks!

Bryan

Posts 42
LogosEmployee
Bryan Albert | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 31 2015 11:25 AM

Nord Zootman:

What should I try next?

Nord,

As an experiment, could you please delete the en-US, es-MX, and es-ES folders from your C:\Users\Lockport\AppData\Local\Logos4 folder, then launch Logos again to see if it's update will work? If it works or not, I'd love to see the DigitalLibraryInstall.log file that Windows Installer generates. 

Thanks!

Bryan

Posts 470
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 31 2015 12:49 PM

Bryan Albert:
As an experiment, could you please delete the en-US, es-MX, and es-ES folders from your C:\Users\Lockport\AppData\Local\Logos4 folder, then launch Logos again to see if it's update will work? If it works or not, I'd love to see the DigitalLibraryInstall.log file that Windows Installer generates. 

Bryan,

Still no success. I have attached the newest logs. This computer was updated to windows 10 last week. Does that have any bearing on what is happening?

Thanks,

Nord

7140.Logos.zip

7853.LogosSetup.zip

0184.DigitalLibraryInstall.zip

Posts 42
LogosEmployee
Bryan Albert | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 31 2015 2:17 PM

Nord Zootman:

This computer was updated to windows 10 last week. Does that have any bearing on what is happening?

Thanks for the logs, I found another clue. It most likely does have something to do with the upgrade, though I'm not yet sure just what.

Here's one more thing you can try, having to do with the file C:\Users\Lockport\AppData\Local\Logos4\Logos.exe. This is the splash screen application that launches Logos (and displays the Logos splash screen while Logos is starting up.)

1. In Windows Explorer, locate C:\Users\Lockport\AppData\Local\Logos4\Logos.exe
  2. Double-click it to launch Logos
  3. Wait for the splash screen to disappear, then delete the C:\Users\Lockport\AppData\Local\Logos4\Logos.exe file
  4. Note that the file must be deleted before Logos downloads and launches the update
  5. Windows Installer should then be able to write the new splash screen file to that location
  6. Upload log files, including the DigitalLibraryInstall.log file

Hopefully this works!

Bryan

Posts 470
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 6:19 AM

Bryan,

That worked! Unfortunately I must not have logging set to run unless I start it with the ctrl key so it did not generate new logs. If it helps I can restart and send you those. it did generate a cef.log which I never noticed before. I am attaching that.

Thank you,

Nord

0066.cef.zip

Posts 42
LogosEmployee
Bryan Albert | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2015 9:37 AM

Nord Zootman:

That worked! Unfortunately I must not have logging set to run unless I start it with the ctrl key so it did not generate new logs. If it helps I can restart and send you those. it did generate a cef.log which I never noticed before. I am attaching that.

Great! I have a better idea of what's going on here, thanks to your help. At this point, just the DigitalLibraryInstall.log file would be of interest. If you don't have logging enabled, that log file should have been written in your %TEMP%\Logos Log Files folder, which in your case should be C:\Users\Lockport\AppData\Local\Temp\Logos Log Files. If that file is available, great, otherwise that's okay, I have a pretty good idea what would be in it anyway.

Thanks again for your help!

Bryan

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS