Study Bible - Bible Study

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 59
Josh | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 4 2015 10:26 PM

I have recently purchased the NIV Z SB in Logos and I am very please to have it. I also have quite a few commentary sets in Logos (WBC, Tyndale, NAC, Holman, LAC... etc). 

I would love to hear from anyone how do you intent to use the the NIV SB (or any other study bible) in your bible study \ sermon prep? Do you first consult the SB before reading a commentary? Or  is it the other way around? How does the SB fit into your approach to bible study?

Posts 946
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 5 2015 12:48 AM

Sometimes commentaries have too much information, so it is good to consult a study bible or  1 volume  commentary, just to get a clear summary, without getting stuck in the detail.

NIV SB looks good, I will be using it alongside ESV SB

P A

Posts 946
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 5 2015 3:14 AM

For preaching in simplistic terms.

1) Start with Bible text, get the passage in context, identify the main idea (main message of passage), then identify potential sub points or application points, outline the passage.

2) Look at your study bible notes for quick, concise help and confirmation of your interpretation.

3) Look at proper commentaries for more detailed help and confirmation of your interpretation.

* Always try to wrestle with the text yourself before looking at the study bible or commentaries.

P A Geeked

Posts 9673
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 5 2015 5:20 AM

It is far too easy and not good practice to too quickly go to notes and commentaries before doing the work of studying the text itself. But after studying notes can give a great quick overview before digging into commentaries.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 371
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 5 2015 7:50 AM

I like what Don Carson had to say in the recent Bible Study Magazine interview with Jessi Strong (I really appreciated this article Jessi!)

"Personal bible reading ought to have oomph to it. If you don't understand something, there's nothing wrong with taking a commentary off your shelf so that you can understand the passage better. Likewise, if your preparing a message, there's something wrong with  a study so detailed and structured that it doesn't include an element of reverence and fear.  According to the prophet Isaiah, in Isaiah 66:2, God looks to those who are contrite and humble of spirit, and who tremble at his Word. Whether you are writing a commentary or having a your morning devotions you ought to have the sort of reverence that is always God due."

I think Carson hits the proper balance on the head. The simple preaching method is not the order of what I do first, and second, etc. but my reverence towards God's word in my heart that will give the sermon it's oomph.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS