Has the strong US dollar impacted your Logos purchasing habits?

Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 35 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 8947
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 22 2015 2:48 PM

Obviously this post is directed as those of us who live outside the US. I'm just wondering how Logos users from other countries have been negatively impacted by the strong US dollar. Personally I live in Canada and it now almost costs an extra $.30 for each dollar spent. Tongue Tied

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 2:55 PM

I think it's a weak Canadian dollar, rather than a strong US one. Here in the UK, we've seen little change over the last year:

The most recent high was $1.71 back in July 2014. It's now $1.53, so that's only 10%, and we're only just below the 7-year average.

Posts 8947
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 3:46 PM

Mark Barnes:
I think it's a weak Canadian dollar, rather than a strong US one.

That is probably a more accurate way of saying it. I thought more countries were in the same boat but perhaps not.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 105
William M. Harper | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 4:37 PM

We Yanks don't know when to stop spending Money

Posts 1633
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 5:07 PM

Bruce Dunning:
Obviously this post is directed as those of us who live outside the US. I'm just wondering how Logos users from other countries have been negatively impacted by the strong US dollar. Personally I live in Canada and it now almost costs an extra $.30 for each dollar spent. Tongue Tied

Yes, Bruce: it certainly has moved the marker on what is good value for us here in Australia.

Our AU$ was worth about US$1.08 about 3 years back. This month it fell as low as US$0.69.x. On top of that, I no longer have academic discount, FaithLife has increased prices, and there are plans to add another 10% tax to imports (including downloads like Netflix).

Given all of that, the discounted prices offered by other ebook sellers, and the removal of some key resources from the base packages that made them even worse value, I stopped advocating for people here in Australia to buy Logos Bible Software over a year ago. I still have my library I've built over almost a decade, so there are some things I will continue to buy (such as TDOT), but it the currency difference is certainly a factor in my current and future purchase plans as well as my recommendations to others.

Posts 69
JeremyS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 6:03 PM

it's a major issue for those outside the u.s. It's now 1.4 usd to every singapore dollar

Posts 2312
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 8:18 PM

I'm in the fortunate position to receive a USD salary, so resources cost the same for me. Due to the strong USD, a lot of stuff gets cheaper for me though, so that I have some more cash left in my pockets at the end of the month. Big Smile

I'm not the big spender on Logos, but over the past year, my Logos purchases have about doubled...

I can see though how this becomes an issue for users especially in Europe, with the weak Euro adding to the pain even more. Especially those who have a payment plan have the negative impact, and have no choice but to accept the increase...

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 120
DBR | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 9:35 PM

I am a missionary in Uganda. My salary is in US dollars, but in the past two years the value that I get exchanging to Ugandan shillings has increased by 30%. Since my money is going that much further, I find that I have more money in my budget for Logos resources, so it does effect me indirectly. 

It only works when I am buying though. I sold a car for 75% of what I bought it for in Ugandan shillings, but barely made a half in US dollars. It is amazing how things that are completely out of our control effect our lives so much.

Posts 5250
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 9:46 PM

I have been purchasing less for that reason...

-dan

Posts 5021
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 11:15 PM

Allen Browne:
Our AU$ was worth about US$1.08 about 3 years back. This month it fell as low as US$0.69.x.

https://www.insideretail.com.au/blog/2015/09/23/dollar-lower-amid-risk-off-trade/

As a fellow Aussie this is definitely having an impact upon my purchases.  The amount I have to payback on my payment plan each month has increased significantly over the past year without me having extra to show for it - the USD amount remains constant but the amount that comes out of my bank account in AUD has increased.

Allen Browne:
and there are plans to add another 10% tax to imports (including downloads like Netflix).

https://www.insideretail.com.au/blog/2015/08/21/gst-set-to-apply-to-offshore-goods/

This will only add to the pain if it goes ahead as planned....and the combination of the two factors will impact upon what package I purchase when Logos 7 arrives at then end of next year if Logos sticks with the schedule. If they moved that schedule to releasing Logos 7 this year I might well be just looking a cross-grade type upgrade option - but I am blessed with what I have currently own so if it is to be then so it will.

This imports tax change is scheduled to happen July 2017 but with change in leadership of the nation - the some are pushing for this to happen sooner.

Posts 2312
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2015 11:52 PM

Disciple of Christ (doc):

Allen Browne:
and there are plans to add another 10% tax to imports (including downloads like Netflix).

https://www.insideretail.com.au/blog/2015/08/21/gst-set-to-apply-to-offshore-goods/

This will only add to the pain if it goes ahead as planned....and the combination of the two factors will impact upon what package I purchase when Logos 7 arrives at then end of next year if Logos sticks with the schedule. If they moved that schedule to releasing Logos 7 this year I might well be just looking a cross-grade type upgrade option - but I am blessed with what I have currently own so if it is to be then so it will.

This imports tax change is scheduled to happen July 2017 but with change in leadership of the nation - the some are pushing for this to happen sooner.

That sales tax for virtual goods has been in place in the EU for some years now, and I've never heard that Logos passes it on to their customers. The prices they display are end prices, just as EU users are used to to their online shopping. I assume they have some backoffice process to pay EU taxes to the respective tax authorities.

As I understand from those articles, it will be handled the same in Australia. The vendor will be responsible for taxes, and there's gonna be no way for the AUS government to enforce it.

So why should FL handle foreign sales tax for Australia any different than foreign sales tax for the EU? I'm almost certain, they're not gonna pass it on to their users (especially since it's only 10%, compared to 15 to 30 % in the EU).

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 5021
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2015 2:21 AM

Jan Krohn:

That sales tax for virtual goods has been in place in the EU for some years now, and I've never heard that Logos passes it on to their customers. The prices they display are end prices, just as EU users are used to to their online shopping. I assume they have some backoffice process to pay EU taxes to the respective tax authorities.

As I understand from those articles, it will be handled the same in Australia. The vendor will be responsible for taxes, and there's gonna be no way for the AUS government to enforce it.

So why should FL handle foreign sales tax for Australia any different than foreign sales tax for the EU? I'm almost certain, they're not gonna pass it on to their users (especially since it's only 10%, compared to 15 to 30 % in the EU).

You are correct in that the Australian Government probably wouldn't be able to enforce it, and the amount extra tax revenue they would raise from Faithlife sales to Australians would be fairly insignificant.  I think there would be much bigger fish they will be encouraging to comply.   I can't assume that Faithlife policy would be on the topic but do take note of your comments in regards to the EU experience.  I don't think it would be in FL interest to ask us to pay an extra 10% and then have to hand that money over to the ATO  (Aust. Tax Office) and likely to lead us to spend less money with them - but this is in the pipeline all the same and until it all comes into play  I'm not going to assume I won't have to pay it on my Logos purchases

Posts 17
Rev A W Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2015 2:39 AM

Yes indeed! Our NZ$ is only worth 63 cents US now.  Next year, like Australia, online purchases will be liable for our Goods and Services Tax, which will add another 15% to each purchase.

In the old days, when Logos was marketed by the Bible Society, the manager had been able to arrange a generous deal for NZ Logos users, making it approximately dollar for dollar then. Those were the good old days, also before retirement, so I was able to buy big.

So really appreciate the specials and freebies which now make up the bulk of my buying.

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2015 4:24 AM

I can't assume that Faithlife policy would be on the topic but do take note of your comments in regards to the EU experience.  I don't think it would be in FL interest to ask us to pay an extra 10% and then have to hand that money over to the ATO  (Aust. Tax Office) and likely to lead us to spend less money with them - but this is in the pipeline all the same and until it all comes into play  I'm not going to assume I won't have to pay it on my Logos purchases

The bottom line is that the Australian Government has no jurisdiction over Faithlife as they're not an Australian company. It's not that they can't enforce the law, it's that have no right to create a law that applies outside Australia. (The same is true in the EU, as others have said.)

Posts 8947
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2015 5:19 AM

Allen Browne:

Yikes. I just read this article to help understand what is being proposed. I feel your pain if this goes through.

I can also imagine that,if it is successful for the government that other world governments might consider a similar strategy to help balance budgets.

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2015 5:46 AM

Bruce Dunning:
I thought more countries were in the same boat

And, you were (still are) right! I live in Asia and I'm experiencing the same issue with the strong us dollar you guys in Canada are.The recent strong US dollar has slowed or stopped me for purchasing as much as I might have.

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2015 6:44 AM

Mark Barnes:

The bottom line is that the Australian Government has no jurisdiction over Faithlife as they're not an Australian company. It's not that they can't enforce the law, it's that have no right to create a law that applies outside Australia. (The same is true in the EU, as others have said.)

This is not actually correct, the UK (for instance) has a right to tax supplies into the UK however it wants, it is purely the collection problem that we cannot send the bailiffs to Bellingham to collect what they owe us that prevents us enforcing a tax liability. Faithlife should be charging VAT under current legislation, they do not purely because there is nothing the UK can do about it.

As accounting for VAT is a duty for the supplier, not the purchaser, I do not see this as morally a problem for me but the conduct of Faithlife here is potentially problematic.

Posts 1422
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2015 7:54 AM

Some years ago I started to feel that Dollar might go high compared to Euro. At that time I made a major investment. 

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 3054
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2015 9:27 AM

I would have upgraded my Verbum base package and probably bought the Orthodox Library Builder if the Canadian dollar was where it was not so long ago.

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2015 10:36 AM

Mike Pettit:
This is not actually correct, the UK (for instance) has a right to tax supplies into the UK however it wants,

They have the right to tax UK importers (e.g. consumers), but not the right to tax US exporters who don't have a presence within a British jurisdiction. Neither do they have a right to ask US exporters to collect a tax on consumers on their behalf.

Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS