Moving Personal Books to a new machine

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 175
Scott Jacobsen | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 28 2015 6:05 AM

Good Monday, all.

I am moving my Logos 6 to a new machine, and noticed that the books I added in PBB have not migrated, which is understandable. I need to do this. I do see that the book names are still listed, which helps in the identification of the titles I need to add again. 

Is there a way to do so that the markings and notes are still left intact? I've highlighted some quite a bit, and want to keep those, as well as pointers in my notes.

Thanks!

Scott

Posts 10243
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 28 2015 6:22 AM

The markings (=highlights I assume) and other notes are in Logos document files, so they stay intact. Edit: In other words: Logos has already migrated them to the new machine just as the notes to bibles etc. you bought from Faithlife. /Edit 

You probably could upload all but one or two very large PBs from the old machine to the cloud, so the new PC will simply sync them down.

In case that's not possible (PB too large, or no access to the old machine or to internet on one of them) you'll need to move the source files (the docx now, but for future reference you may want to migrate the cover graphics) - if you have the exactly same folder structure, you may be able to simply rebuild on the click of the button, otherwise you'll need to tell the PB compiler the new location of the file (delete the old reference and use 'add file' for giving the new).

What you don't want to do is creating a new PB via 'add book' since this creates a new resource with a different resource id, so your highlights and other notes won't apply to it.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 29 2015 5:02 AM

One thing that would be nice in this situation is some sort of command line to rebuild all your PB's. I store my PB files on a cloud drive, so they stay in the same place on every machine, but when I replace my machine, it's still painful to rebuild a couple of hundred resources by "editing" each one individually.

Posts 10243
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 29 2015 6:21 AM

Russ White:

One thing that would be nice in this situation is some sort of command line to rebuild all your PB's. I store my PB files on a cloud drive, so they stay in the same place on every machine, but when I replace my machine, it's still painful to rebuild a couple of hundred resources by "editing" each one individually.

Well, I don't replace my machine very often (the money goes into the library rather), but if you upload the PBs once they are a stable build, your new machine will just download them in course of the installation process. Note: as I understand it, that's not even necessary if you rather follow one of the methods that avoid downloading/indexing all of your library, they will apply to the PBs as well. But with having the PBs locally you risk having different versions.  

Posts 25189
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 29 2015 4:27 PM

NB.Mick:
Note: as I understand it, that's not even necessary if you rather follow one of the methods that avoid downloading/indexing all of your library, they will apply to the PBs as well. But with having the PBs locally you risk having different versions.  

If you backup the resources folder you can use the scan command to get all your resources on the new machine.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 10243
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 29 2015 4:31 PM

Dave Hooton:

NB.Mick:
Note: as I understand it, that's not even necessary if you rather follow one of the methods that avoid downloading/indexing all of your library, they will apply to the PBs as well. But with having the PBs locally you risk having different versions.  

If you backup the resources folder you can use the scan command to get all your resources on the new machine.

that's what I meant with the methods and that they apply to PBs as well as to all the other resources, thanks for the link.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS