Bug: Morphology Chart

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 240
Lankford Oxendine | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 6 2015 5:11 PM

It seems as if there are a lot of entries missing in the morphology chart for εὐλογέω as compared to The Lexham Analytical Lexicon to the Greek New Testament.  For example, in Galatians 3:8 we have a future passive indicative form but there is no such entry in the morphology chart.  A couple of questions:

1)  Am I using/reading these resources incorrectly?

2)  Is there general agreement that the morphology chart is a work in progress and should not be trusted.  (see this thread https://community.logos.com/forums/p/98011/759167.aspx#759167 for another bug in the morphology charts reported in December and still not fixed.)

3)  Is there a Logos resource I can consult to determine all of the inflected forms of a particular word regardless if that form occurs in the Bible?

Thanks for your help!

Posts 702
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 6 2015 6:57 PM

It is probably not showing up because the lemmas are different (ἐνευλογέω v. εὐλογέω). Or maybe I'm not using this resource correctly either. Smile

Posts 240
Lankford Oxendine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 7:27 AM

Thanks for the reply.  I notice that the KJV 1900 has εὐλογέω and other EV's have ἐνευλογέω.  I'm not sure that is the problem.

Posts 21701
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 7:41 AM

Lankford Oxendine:

It seems as if there are a lot of entries missing in the morphology chart for εὐλογέω as compared to The Lexham Analytical Lexicon to the Greek New Testament.  For example, in Galatians 3:8 we have a future passive indicative form but there is no such entry in the morphology chart.  A couple of questions:

1)  Am I using/reading these resources incorrectly?

Not sure - I see the entry for Galatians 3:8 as below

Please post a screenshot

Posts 240
Lankford Oxendine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2015 3:35 PM

Thanks Graham.  Evidently the KJV has a different lemma then other English Versions.  Not sure that is the problem though.

Posts 21701
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 8 2015 12:28 AM

Hi Lankford

Sorry about that - I hadn't properly understood your question.

I think the issue is that you are (probably) seeing a different Greek text in the Morph chart than the one used for the KJV. So, for example, NA27 doesn't have the verb you are looking for in that verse.

If you change to use a text on which the KJV is based you should get the results you are looking for.

I checked with Scrivener 1881 and it works fine.

To change the text used you need to ensure it is the highest prioritised Greek text in your library.

Does this work for you?

Graham

Posts 240
Lankford Oxendine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 10 2015 11:55 AM

As you can see from the screenshots, the The Lexham Analytical Lexicon to the Greek New Testament has more forms for εὐλογέω than the morphology chart.  I believe I figured out the discrepancy.  The LALGNT is including forms found in the Apocrypha whereas the morphology chart is not?  Also, I'm assuming the chart is based on the NA27 so there might be some discrepancies with an English version using the TR.  Are both of these correct?  Thanks again!

Posts 21701
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 10 2015 12:21 PM

Lankford Oxendine:
 The LALGNT is including forms found in the Apocrypha whereas the morphology chart is not?

No - but it is not restricting itself to the SBLGNT (which is its base) - this is from the Introduction:

Each form of each Greek word that occurs in the The Greek New Testament: SBL Edition (SBLGNT) and forms of words found in the writings of the Apostolic Fathers. Each word is listed with parsing information (expanded on hover) and a link back to the primary article for the word. For further information on the morphological codes, see the below section Logos Bible Software Greek Morphology Codes.
In addition to listing the forms found in the SBLGNT and the writings of the Apostolic Fathers, forms that do not occur in SBLGNT but do occur in the NA27 and Westcott and Hort editions are listed, with morphology and lemma. In this way, the analytical lexicon covers various orthographies and variations found in many printed editions of the Greek New Testament

The Lexham Analytical Lexicon to the Greek New Testament (Logos Bible Software, 2011).

Lankford Oxendine:
 Also, I'm assuming the chart is based on the NA27 so there might be some discrepancies with an English version using the TR.

No - the chart is built from your highest prioritised Greek New Testament.

Does this help explain the discrepancies you are seeing?

Posts 240
Lankford Oxendine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 12 2015 7:50 PM

I think that answers most of my questions.  Thanks for the help Graham!!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS