Searching Theological Journals

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 41
Karl K Nell | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 15 2010 4:28 PM

If I go to galaxie.com to search journals, I can search for "youth" and I will get 266 matches. I have the same journals in Logos but get 4,169 results. How can I narrow my searching in Logos?

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 4:39 PM

you could always try using heading:youth   that will narrow the search down to where "youth" appears in an article or section header.

Posts 9528
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 4:40 PM

Karl,

First, the counts on Galaxies' web site are for the number of articles that have the word youth in them, not the total number of times the word youth occurs. For example the second entry on the Galaxie site is for an article called "Church and Youth". Logos reports 100 instances of the word 'youth' in that article.

When I do this search in Logos (and I have some other journals in the collection I search so have more results than you) I get 4,796 hits in 1,988 articles. Most of the hits are in the first page of the search report, which takes me down to articles with 6 hits. I would suspect that would probably be the bulk of the articles you'd want to scan as they probably have 'youth' as their focus and not just a passing reference to them.

As to why I get so many more articles than Galaxie does, I don't know. We'd probably have to find out how Galaxie does its searches.

At any rate there isn't a way in Logos to get the same results.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9528
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 4:43 PM

Philip Spitzer:
you could always try using heading:youth

Good suggestion, although last I knew not all the Galaxie journals had been update to index on heading. Most had, so it would get almost all of them if not all by now.

Of course this doesn't duplicate the Galaxie search, but it does cut down on the hits and might direct you to the articles you really want.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 41
Karl K Nell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 4:56 PM

Thanks, you guys are the best.

Posts 41
Karl K Nell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 5:03 PM

The heading:youth works! Is there any other search methods to narrow down my research for my papers?

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 5:05 PM

Karl K Nell Jr.:

The heading:youth works! Is there any other search methods to narrow down my research for my papers?

I am a big fan of searching for Biblical references to help narrow searches and direct you to articles that might deal with a parallel topic with terminology you haven't thought to search for.

Posts 9528
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 5:07 PM

You can learn more about search terms and search syntax on the wiki. Look here:

http://wiki.logos.com/Search_HELP

http://wiki.logos.com/Search_Fields_List

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1829
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 5:23 PM

You guys/gals (didn't want to leave out Rosie and a couple of the other ladies here) that help out so much here truly are the best!

I guess I need to look at the wiki a bit more often. The "heading:" advice is really going to help me with my searches and I never would have figured it out. I always thought that there should be an easier way to search without limiting it to collections or wading through 20,000 hits. This is a major one for me. Can you tell that I am happy?

Thanks again  Yes

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2010 5:35 PM

Glad we could help :-)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS