User Manuals -- Are hardcopies available?

Page 5 of 5 (88 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
This post has 87 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 36343
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2015 1:16 PM

Charles McNeil:
If it so impractical or out of date, why is Morris Proctor selling printed manuals?

I am very impressed with the quality of Morris Proctor's manuals and recommend them. They are not truly comprehensive, however - the search function is primarily slid into the advanced seminar for which one cannot easily buy the manuals separately. But they are updated regularly via PDF updates you can print and insert in your printed copy. They support his main business - running seminars, producing manuals and writing blogs. I don't recall when Logos partnered with MP but it has been a long and fruitful partnership.

Charles McNeil:
Does this mean that Doc. B. can sell his self-developed manual?

I would suspect so especially given the additional sources of training videos.

Personally, after thinking about some very specific cases as a result of this thread, I've come to the conclusion I wouldn't want Logos to produce a printed manual. Why? Because I think my "ideal" Logos manual (in contrast to MP's "beginners" manual) would have hyper links. How many ways can you think of to open a Bible for reading? My incomplete list:

• from the Go box: by reference, by pericope, by liturgical date
  • from the Command box: with or without "Open" (and its alternative) or target reference
  • from a reference in an open panel: drag-and-drop, click (with 3 modifiers)
  • from the Home Page Sidebar: lectionary, reading plan
  • from Parallel Resources
  • from History
  • from Library
  • from the + for Add Tab
  • for some users - from Shortcut Bar or Favorites or even Reading Lists

And as to why I am so skeptical of the practicality of building a reference manual? I have been trying for over a year, off-and-on as I have moved, to produce a manual on the Search function. Concrete experience with the product has made me skeptical.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 237
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2015 3:30 PM

Super.Tramp:

Bob Pritchett, CEO and owner of Faithlife, has told his employees to work on certain things...He has also said they will not be printing a paper user manual. Be aware that Bob's first book, "Fire Someone Today", might be a motivator to the employees to do what they are told. After all, this is not his first rodeo. 

I am assuming that you know or have a relationship (at least conversations) with the CEO and owner of Faithlife. He seems to run a tight ship when it comes to his employees. I know what holds them in check, but to your knowledge, what motivates them to work and stay? Is it possible that some of his employees see having a printed manual, but can't say and dare not do it because they were told to "work on certain things" and "to do what they are told?" The source (your personal inner workings of the company or from his book) of this knowledge is most telling.

Super.Tramp:
He has also said they will not be printing a paper user manual.

Trusting that your source of information is reliable, this explain why so many responders in this thread tried (but failed) to make the case that it's impossible or not practical to do a printed users manual. No, I am not naive. However, it would be nice for people to be more forthcoming in their position of assessment, even if the "powers to be" don't want it. The only thing impossible about a printed users manual is the word, "impossible." 

Posts 237
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2015 3:38 PM

MJ. Smith:
I am very impressed with the quality of Morris Proctor's manuals and recommend them...But they are updated regularly via PDF updates you can print and insert in your printed copy.

If MP can do it, why can't Logos do it for its customers? Employ Mr. Proctor to keep manual updated in a more comprehensive way. Hurray!

Posts 237
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2015 4:15 PM

MJ. Smith:

Personally, after thinking about some very specific cases as a result of this thread, I've come to the conclusion I wouldn't want Logos to produce a printed manual. Why? Because I think my "ideal" Logos manual (in contrast to MP's "beginners" manual) would have hyper links. How many ways can you think of to open a Bible for reading? My incomplete list...And as to why I am so skeptical of the practicality of building a reference manual? I have been trying for over a year, off-and-on as I have moved, to produce a manual on the Search function. Concrete experience with the product has made me skeptical. 

You don't have to send Logos a silent message not to do what they don't want to do to begin with. Your "ideal Logos manual" having "hyper links" is a brilliant idea. This could be a street I could live on. Why wouldn't they not mine your mind for more practical ideas to make this system more user friendly.

MJ, please don't be skeptical of a manual of good quality because of your experience:

1. You are just one person. May God bless you for your efforts.
  2. You don't have the time and means to do it right. This is far beyond your ability (not a put down).
  3. This is a team project.
  4. This is a large job, for many people, with much more funds than you have and can afford to give to this project.
  5. Remember, this is Faithlife's Logos Software, if only their eyes could see more than "green" and discern the lights turned on in many minds around the world.

The fact that is it has so many ways "to open a Bible for reading" is all the more reason why we should have the manual or in a hyperlink format (as you brilliantly suggested). 

They just need to be willing and get started. It can be done!

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2015 4:16 PM

Charles McNeil:
Is it possible that some of his employees see having a printed manual, but can't say and dare not do it because they were told to "work on certain things" and "to do what they are told?"

He who has the gold makes the rules.

Faithlife’s Bob Pritchett Named Among Glassdoor’s Highest Rated CEOs in 2015

Bob Pritchett Wins Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award

I suppose Bob's employees stay there because they like it.

Logos Bible Software Recognized as Best Christian Place to Work

Logos Bible Software named one of 2014’s Best Medium-Sized Companies to Work For

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 36343
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2015 4:35 PM

Charles McNeil:

• You don't have the time and means to do it right. This is far beyond your ability (not a put down).

However, I do have experience writing manuals for training employees to use a payroll/personnel system for a major research university which has complications to a level Logos has never thought of ... I do know precisely how to do the project and how to manage the staff assisting in the project. I know precisely what to demand developers provide me and when it is required - as well as precisely why those demands will not and cannot be met. I have also written system specifications for a replacement payroll/personnel system that ran a mere 4 volumes, each over 200 pages long. So (a) don't make assumptions about other's qualifications and (b) as I have spoken in very concrete terms with examples, to be effective you should also speak in concrete terms as to what you wish to see. Name a software with documentation you believe would serve as a model. State specifically what you see as missing in the current manual from MP (yes, I'd have a long list). Describe what needs to be changed to make the wiki more useful to you. At one time we had a user created print routine for it. In short, back your complaints with an offer to be part of a solution.

BTW: you can see my approach to the wiki at

https://wiki.logos.com/Logos_5$3a_Generic_Guide_functions or

https://wiki.logos.com/Logos_5$3a_Bible_Sense_Lexicon both written when I had considerably less knowledge of the system. I would definitely do some things differently now. 

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 237
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2015 6:12 PM
Super.Tramp:
He who has the gold makes the rules.

Good for Bob. However, this explains many things. 
Super.Tramp:
I suppose Bob's employees stay there because they like it.

You're doing a good job in promoting Bob, your boss or friend. I have no desire to take anything from him. It's good to know that a percentage of his workforce endorses him and like the work place. Hurray, for Faithlife workers!
                                                                         Choices                      Challenges                        Changes
PS.    Oh, somewhere, I read, "All that glitters is not gold." 
Posts 237
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2015 6:49 PM

MJ. Smith:
I have also written system specifications for a replacement payroll/personnel system that ran a mere 4 volumes, each over 200 pages long. So (a) don't make assumptions about other's qualifications and (b) as I have spoken in very concrete terms with examples, to be effective you should also speak in concrete terms as to what you wish to see.

MJ, sorry for any misunderstanding of my statement: [This is far beyond your ability (not a put down)]. You will see in my points above, I was referring to the size of the Logos project, with all the options, in view of the example you shared and your doing it all by yourself. It was my desire to affirm what you have worked on. Your Wiki work shows promise, especially in you doing somethings "differently."

Faith life can use someone with your talents, in light of what you stated above. Impressive! Peace!

Page 5 of 5 (88 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS