Logos 4 on second hard disk - improve performance?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 296
Jonathan West | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 16 2010 10:18 AM

I have two hard disks in my laptop. I was wondering if it might be a good idea to move Logos4 to the second hard disk (leaving Windows on the first one), to improve L4 performance, since then there'd be two IO streams serving stuff up.

I know this is the kind of thing one would do on servers - will it improve throughput on a laptop (Windows 7 x64)? Any opinions from anyone?

I guess I could then use this method http://community.logos.com/forums/t/4011.aspx?PageIndex=1 (see post no. 4) to move my Logos folder to my D drive.

www.emmanuelecc.org

Posts 271
Don | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 1:12 PM
You might consider moving just the resource folder to the 2nd HD. I have 3 HDs, so I have OS & programs on 1st, resources and data on 2nd, pagefile on 3rd.
Posts 296
Jonathan West | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 1:30 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Don. By Resources which folder do you mean I should move?

/Users/<me>/AppData/Local/Logos4/Data/<magic number>/ResourceManager/Resources ? or some other folder.

To do that presumably I would need to run the MKLINK command from the /Users/<me>/AppData/Local/Logos4/Data/<magic number>/ResourceManager folder and use:

MKLINK  /D  /J   Resources   D:\Logos4\Resources

Are you using the MKLINK method as well?

www.emmanuelecc.org

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 1:56 PM

Don:
You might consider moving just the resource folder to the 2nd HD. I have 3 HDs, so I have OS & programs on 1st, resources and data on 2nd, pagefile on 3rd.

As far as I know, it is not possible to install the Logos4 engine and the Logos4 resources on different drives without third party software. This was possible with Logos3 (i.e., Libronix). If you do use 3rd party software, you should consider that the performance gains may be lost by the added instructions in the code, the added layer to the Windows FAT. Additionally, you should be aware that you are installing Logos4 in an unsupported way. If you run into trouble, you're on your own--this includes future design changes that could negatively impact what you are able to do now.

Also, I'm not sure the performance difference would be noticeable since most of the Windows environment runs in the RAM, or from the page file (AKA system cache) anyway.

A long time ago, when there were maximums on the size of a drive Windows could read, that time is long past. Single, huge drives are the norm with almost all personal computers, without noticeable performance degradation in most cases.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 28011
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 2:14 PM

Jonathan West:
I have two hard disks in my laptop. I was wondering if it might be a good idea to move Logos4 to the second hard disk

If they are SATA drives it would be worth while doing because they are on separate controllers. You would perform a custom installation and put L4 entirely on the second drive - see http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers. I recommend Method 3.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 296
Jonathan West | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 2:19 PM

An unscientific test reveals that having the Resources folder on the D drive with everything else on the C drive (using a Symoblic link) alters the performance not one bit. PG on John 1 (all sections open but User Internet=no with Bible Study edition plus a few extra commentary sets I've bought) takes 55 seconds first time and about 48 seconds on the second and third time of running, regardless of setup.

www.emmanuelecc.org

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS