Just an observation...

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 196
Dan Pogue | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 16 2010 2:01 PM

I recently did the update and indexing. The indexing was finished a few days ago and I have been somewhat using the program. Today I use the search entire library for a specific word and it shows that there is new stuff (paraphrased my version) that needs to be indexed. Didnt it just do the indexing a few days ago? So I did the same thing on my laptop and am now indexing that one also. Is the idea to search the entire library for a word to see if all the books are indexed?

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 2:08 PM

Dan Pogue:

I recently did the update and indexing. The indexing was finished a few days ago and I have been somewhat using the program. Today I use the search entire library for a specific word and it shows that there is new stuff (paraphrased my version) that needs to be indexed. Didnt it just do the indexing a few days ago? So I did the same thing on my laptop and am now indexing that one also. Is the idea to search the entire library for a word to see if all the books are indexed?

Dan, your resources are all indexed. But the indexes aren't merged. That is, there is more than one index. Logos4 does this so that you don't have to reindex your entire library to update one small resource (saving hours of indexing time). Searching for a common word (like 'copyright') should tell you if your indexes are merged or not, but if you have resources that aren't indexed, they won't even show up in a search.

If you want to merge your index, you may at a time that is convenient for you, by typing merge index in the command bar. Or, you can completely rebuild your index by typing rebuild index in the command bar.

Does that address your issue?

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 2:08 PM

Was it saying you have to merge?

What Logos does, if resources are added, is index those resources in a Supplemental Index.  When you do a search, it will show it as a separate categorization of results.  If the supplemental index gets too large, it will then suggest you do a Merge Index form the command bar.  That puts it all together in one index set.  It makes this recommendation based on the size of the supplemental files, you don't *have* to merge then but it's advising you to.

Using supplemental indexes postpones a rebuild of the full index as long as possible.  You can do a merge index any time

Posts 196
Dan Pogue | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 2:20 PM

Dominick...My attention span is too short to remember what it said...something along the lines of needing to index...thanks for the quck response Richard, that answers this simple question of curiosity!

danp

Posts 28016
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 16 2010 2:30 PM

Dan Pogue:
Today I use the search entire library for a specific word and it shows that there is new stuff (paraphrased my version) that needs to be indexed.

That message is very misleading (and I wish Logos would remove it!). You can get information on Indexing at http://wiki.logos.com/Installation_and_Indexing_FAQ%27s. The fact is that the "new resources" section is a misnomer and is not even needed if you search by Book. If you search by Rank then you need the results from both sections.

I don't advise to merge indexes as there have been problems.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS