Can't export search results

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 7
Kirrily Drew | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 9 2015 3:19 PM

Hi, I'm using Logos 6 on Windows 7, trying to export search results/analysis but it won't export - I've tried all 3 options. When I use 'save as file: spreadsheet' it does save a document, but it's blank. When I use 'send to new document: Microsoft Excel' it auto-opens Excel but then nothing happens. When I use 'paste into open document: Microsoft Excel', nothing happens in the existing open document - it just stays blank.

I've had this problem ever since I got Logos - it's not just Excel, it also doesn't export to Word, it just gets stuck.

Any suggestions on how I can get export to work, or what I might be doing wrong? 

Thanks

Kirrily

Posts 24727
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2015 9:50 PM

Kirrily Drew:
When I use 'send to new document: Microsoft Excel' it auto-opens Excel but then nothing happens. When I use 'paste into open document: Microsoft Excel', nothing happens in the existing open document - it just stays blank.

The issue from using these options is well known!

Kirrily Drew:
When I use 'save as file: spreadsheet' it does save a document, but it's blank.

This works for me in 32-bit Office 2013 and 2016.

Is your Office 64-bit? What version?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 7
Kirrily Drew | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2015 10:30 PM

Thanks Dave. I'm using Office 2007, I think that only has 32-bit, doesn't it?

Kirrily

Posts 24727
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2015 1:28 AM

Kirrily Drew:
Thanks Dave. I'm using Office 2007, I think that only has 32-bit, doesn't it?

I think you're right - 64-bit came with Office 2010 onward. So start Logos with CTRL key held (to get logs), login and run your search (post a screen shot). Then try Export and 'Save as file: spreadsheet'. Upload the log files folder as per https://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging#What_do_I_do_with_the_logs.3f.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 7
Kirrily Drew | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2015 3:22 PM

OK, I tried that - turns out it works when I save the search as a .csv file rather than a .xml file. I'll include the screenshots and logs anyway though, just in case there's something else going wrong! Thanks again for your help!

Kirrily

5127.LogosError.zip3051.Logos.zip7183.cef.zip

Posts 24727
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2015 4:01 PM

Please explain the last screen shot in relation to the file that is highlighted - was that the saved xml file?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 7
Kirrily Drew | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2015 4:06 PM

Yes, that's right - I was trying to open the saved .xml file, but it wouldn't open. From past experience, if I turn off & restart the computer, it will probably open the .xml file but it'll be empty/blank.

Posts 24727
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2015 8:40 PM

But where does the "Save as" dialog and background XML come from?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 7
Kirrily Drew | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2015 11:56 PM

The 3 screenshots were my 3 steps: I searched, then (screenshot 1) I clicked 'Save as spreadsheet', then (screenshot 2) saved it as an xml file, then (screenshot 3) tried to open the xml file.

This was all before I discovered that csv worked - although interestingly, now that I have opened and closed the csv file, it won't open properly again - it's just full of question marks (see new screenshot). Lucky I saved it under a new name as an .xlsx file so I haven't lost it all.

I'm completely confused about what I'm doing wrong though, since it seems every time it's something different that does/doesn't work!

Thanks for walking me through the bafflement!

Kirrily

Posts 24727
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2015 3:30 AM

Kirrily Drew:
The 3 screenshots were my 3 steps: I searched, then (screenshot 1) I clicked 'Save as spreadsheet', then (screenshot 2) saved it as an xml file, then (screenshot 3) tried to open the xml file.

That didn't answer my question about the "Save as" dialog and the XML in the background.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 7
Kirrily Drew | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2015 3:42 AM

Sorry, I didn't realise that was a 'save as' box. That's just the box that popped up when I tried to open the XML file, and the XML in the background is the 'preview' that comes up in windows before you open a file.

Kirrily

Posts 24727
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2015 12:30 PM

I'm thinking that Excel 2007 isn't compatible with XML format i.e. it uses workbook formats, so XML isn't an option when you save a table.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 7
Kirrily Drew | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2015 6:34 PM

No worries - since the csv option seems to be sort of working, I guess I'll stick with that until I upgrade to a new laptop and newer Office (maybe someday!)

Thanks for all your help - I really appreciate it!

Kirrily

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS