Create (Slightly) Off Topic Forum

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 17 2010 4:38 AM

Some of the forum regulars are feeling a bit constricted by the new forum guidelines, and an off topic forum for discussing ancillary topics with relaxed guidelines would be a good thing and help to re-build a sense of community that seems to be slipping.

I would suggest a three things in the creation of the forum:

1. That it be exempted from external search engines (robots.txt)

2. That it wold be exempted from the recent discussions section on the front page. (If I never see another "How to hijack a thread" thread, it will be too soon.)

3. That theological/political debates still be unwelcome.

I really value the input of the forum members pointing out materials/sites that are helpful to my growth as a Christian and my use of Logos in my Bible Study, but that is starting to fade based on the guidelines (Which IMHO were necessary and useful).

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 12:12 PM

Yes please. Yes I have learned so much from items which go a bit "off-topic".

In the spirit of off-topic I learned to do sentence analysis aged 9-12 in a Scottish Primary School (Elementary School). I learned word parsing aged 12-14 in Secondary School (High School) - first in English and then in French, Latin and German. I still use it to help make sense of difficult sentences in Greek, Latin or German. Geeked

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 12:40 PM

I'd also like an OT forum section.

Had it not been for a few forum violations...I'd not have as many good resources at my disposal as a self-taught Greek student!

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 7:11 PM

Terry Poperszky:

2. That it wold be exempted from the recent discussions section on the front page. (If I never see another "How to hijack a thread" thread, it will be too soon.)

3. That theological/political debates still be unwelcome.

I wish we could choose which sun-forums showed on the front page or on the not-read list. I try to read every thread and have no time left to post anything (other than the most cursory response).

Most importantly, I wish to emphasise my agreement with number 3. The day Logos provides a forum for theological discussions is the day in which I will no longer participate in the forums.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2010 7:26 PM

Damian McGrath:

Regarding your point number two, how is the weather where you are? :-)

Sorry. Had to go there.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 4:57 AM

I like these suggestions! Yes

Posts 19707
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 5:15 AM

Robert Pavich:

And a NT forum section, too. Wink

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 8:58 AM

Rosie Perera:

Robert Pavich:

And a NT forum section, too. Wink

Let's not leave M.J. out, a forum for Lexicons and Deuterocanonical books.  Big Smile

And the list grows Sad

This maybe why Logos is so hesitant to try something like this, when is enough. They have enough trouble keeping up with the forum as it exists. I think the OP may be full of hot air for making this suggestion in the first place. Wink

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 9:28 AM

I'd love an Off Topic Forum!  Terry, your original suggestions are good.  Not for debates, but for goofing off.  You can even prevent it from boosting post counts the same way the hidden beta forum did. (Or I'd certainly be over 3K!)

Sadly though I haven't even had time to check the regular forums lately - let alone an OT one.  But I am hopeful that things will normalize around here soon.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 6784
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 9:34 AM

Not trying to break forum rules or anything, but has anyone heard from George Somsel lately? I miss him from the forums.

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 36364
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 12:18 PM

Perhaps we haven't mentioned reverse interlinears/forward interlinears/sideways interlinears enoughStick out tongue

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 19707
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 12:46 PM

Lynden Williams:

Not trying to break forum rules or anything, but has anyone heard from George Somsel lately? I miss him from the forums.

I was just thinking the same thing the other day. I miss him, too. Googled him. He's recently joined academia.edu, listing himself as an Independent Researcher in Old Testament: http://independent.academia.edu/GeorgeSomsel. It's got an email address listed for him if you want to drop him a line and see whazzup.

Posts 19707
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 12:50 PM

Actually, I just discovered that George has posted as recently as Feb 9, and he has a new avatar now; maybe that's why we haven't been noticing him around here lately. No more Caveman:

But he still isn't as active as he used to be (only 5 posts so far in Feb). Maybe RL took over.

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 1:09 PM

Rosie Perera:
he has a new avatar now;

I am glad, his old one gave me the creeps. But then again, so did his position on interlinears Big Smile

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 4:12 PM

Two things....

I really like Terry's suggestions....but we could also limit it and call it a "Bible study resources" forum....or something like that instead of "off topic" to keep things more focused....

Secondly, and being very serious...I have really missed Ol' George Somsel lately too...I'm hoping he's alright....

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 2898
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 6:20 PM

Robert Pavich:
but we could also limit it and call it a "Bible study resources" forum....or something like that instead of "off topic" to keep things more focused....

I think that is opposite of the desire of an OT forum, at least it is for what I would like. I'd like a place where the people I interact with on this forum and have begun to appreciate as brothers and sisters in Christ could come together and talk about whatever we please so long as it is clean and not violating common decency or the Two Great Commandments.

Potential forum topics would allow me to find out how my "friends" here feel about historical critical method in Biblical studies or the designated hitter in baseball. If people are not interested in such things, they can simply hit the "mark read" button on the forums list.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 10:27 PM

Terry Poperszky:

Rosie Perera:
he has a new avatar now;

I am glad, his old one gave me the creeps. But then again, so did his position on interlinears Big Smile

New avatar, same position on interlinears.  I'm monitoring the forums -- more or less.  At the moment I'm rather busy helping my daughter in her search for a house, watching my granddaughter who has had pneumonia and, since Lent just started, I've reactivated the Lenten Greek Reading Group.  This year we're reading Luke which makes it rather easy since it comes to about 38 verses per day Mon-Fri.  I used to be in a group that did the entire NT during Lent -- Whew !  Burnout !  If you're interested, go to www.groups.yahoo.com/group/LentenGreekReading.  The reading schedule is in the files section.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS