Searching Help again

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Posts 129
Chad | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 13 2015 1:59 PM
I have taken some online course (LearnLogos6) but haven't finished. I'm looking to figure out how to search my resources the best in looking at the topic idea of "shadow of Christ." For an advent series going to look at the Law as a shadow, the priesthood, the tabernacle/temple, and the passover all as shadows of the substance that is Christ. Not sure how to utilize my large library to search that. I have a book on my physical bookshelf I'll certainly look at (Jesus Divine Messiah by Reymond) but I know I have a lot of good resources in my Logos library. How would I even start searching and doing research for this? I'm sure if I type "Law" in a search window I'll get way too much - and I'm not even sure how to narrow it down beyond book type. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Posts 13379
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2015 3:02 PM

Hi Chad,

Broad but specific topical studies like this are not always easy to begin. They require you to 'partner' with Logos - it's not going to do all the work for you in surfacing the most helpful results. You need to help Logos do its job well.

In this instance, I'd probably begin with the search string Christ NEAR shadow NEAR (law, priesthood, tabernacle, temple, passover). That requires your two essential keywords (law and shadow), and one of the four topical words. That immediately surfaces a large number of relevant results. If I was preparing to preach a series on this topic, and go through the main search results, and use a passage list to identify the most relevant Bible passages for each topic, and probably a series of clippings files to note useful supporting material.

It's also worth repeating the search, but ranked "By Count". That may identify resources that are worth reading in their entirety, or at least which resources have whole chapters that are worth reading. (Although in this case, I don't think it identifies any.)

I'd also look at the Factbook entries for law, priesthood, etc., and be particularly aware of entries in dictionaries of Biblical Theology, and the IVP Dictionary of Biblical Imagery.

Does that help you get started?

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS