Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 612
John Brumett | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 14 2015 5:46 AM

I would like the ability to create a link to a Map, Image, Book, ect and have the Ability to click in My Bible one time directly to that link that I have created.  This would work like clickable cross references links in the Bible.

Right now I have to create a note in my Bible that goes to my Note File with all my other notes and then I have to Choose Control Click to go to my link.  Having the ability to go directly to that link with one click from my Bible would be so much easier.  

Posts 612
John Brumett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2015 5:35 PM

Would like to hear from others to see if you like this idea.  I don't know if it has been requested before.

Posts 32144
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2015 6:27 PM

I've been trying to think of how the note should be made sufficiently persistent to be able to click on it without defeating the purpose of making it clickable - a broader question than you are asking but an essential first step.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2015 5:25 AM

I've been asking for this for ages... Particularly if it could link to an outside program, and not just within Logos (think of opening a Word doc, or a OneNote note, or an Evernote note, from a single click within Logos). This is a "matched pair" with another feature I've been asking for forever, was promised, and never seems to have been done -- the ability to include the URL in the citation when you copy from a resource. Clicking on the URL would open Logos to the right spot.

Logos and other software already know how to open to a particular document or spot based on a URL, it's just that Logos doesn't have the appropriate features to take advantage of this.

These have been on uservoice _forever_ as "better integration with outside software packages." But they've gotten no traction in the last three or four years.

Russ

Posts 412
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2015 9:41 PM

Try this out...

https://wiki.logos.com/Personal_Books

The text below is the pertinent info. I tried it and it seems to work.....

Roy

Open the resource to the desired place, select WIKI as the Copy Location method in the panel menu, then copy with Ctrl+Alt+C and paste the link with Ctrl+V. It uses the syntax [[label >> link]] so you can change the label as needed.

Note:

• Page offsets are not yet supported e.g. logosres:hlmnbblhbk;ref=Page.p_591;off=759 will go to the start of the page. It is possible to link directly to a heading, even if that heading is in the middle of the page, but doing so is rather fiddly.
  • To open a lectionary to today’s reading specify ref=YearMonthDay.today e.g. logosres:BCPDOLECT;ref=YearMonthDay.today
Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2015 4:25 AM

Roy --

Yes, I know about the 14 step method. What I've been asking for, for a very, very, very long time is a one step method. Someone from Faithlife said, a year or two ago, that a new option would be available to add the URL of the current location to the biblio when you copy and paste -- but this wasn't ever done. What I asked for in UserVoice was a new "biblio type," that could include any information you wanted. What's interesting is the bibtex format already has the ability to include a URL, but Logos doesn't populate that field.

If we had a "one step" way to copy/paste with the location URL, and a "one step" way to click on a URL in a note and follow it (the original point of this thread), rather than opening the note and then ctrl+click, we could actually use an outside note package, like OneNote or Evernote, effectively. As it is, keeping your notes outside Logos is painful.

Russ

P.S. Before someone says, "just keep your notes in Logos" -- once the notes in Logos can be password protected, selectively synch'd, can be stored in specific locations (such as on dropbox or onedrive), will interact with Word and Outlook, can contain rich data, have multiple layers of organization, and can be stored in a way that allows multiple users to work on the same notebook, I'll be happy to transfer my notes to Logos. I don't think Logos should do any of this stuff, though -- Logos is a research tool, not a full blown note taking tool, so I'm happy to use an outside software package (OneNote -- Evernote has a rather restricted feature set compared to OneNote). I just wish Logos would take the time to make outside packages work better with their research tool. At this point, these features have been on the request list for at least 4 or 5 years with no action, so I'm assuming they won't ever be done.

Posts 612
John Brumett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2015 5:10 AM

For me the main purpose deals with my daily bible study.  I would have the ability to jump directly to a Map, Image, Chart, ect. and it wouldn't interrupt the flow of my Bible Study.  Linking  to external note files as Russ indicated would also be another great use of this function.

Posts 412
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2015 8:29 AM

Hi,

For some reason I was thinking that you wanted a way to put a click-able link in a user/personal book. That was the how-to info I was trying to point you to. For that purpose it would do exactly what you wanted. (My apologies. It actually does not do exactly that. It only opens the resource to the last accessed page. No where near as useful as it should be.)

I do not know of a way to insert a link into the text body of an existing commercial resource. The file would have to be edit-able, and seeing how it is most likely encrypted, I would highly doubt that is possible.

I really don't know that much about LOGOS. I wish I could be of more help. Sorry...Sad

Roy

Posts 612
John Brumett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 17 2015 9:59 PM

We are able to insert note files into our Bible that we can scroll over and and we can see a pop up with the text.  Just allow me to click on a user created link within that pop up that takes me directly with one click to the resource of my choosing.   This would operate in a similar manner such as cross reference notes in a Bible.  I scroll over the cross reference and I see a verse.  I click on it once and I am taken directly to that verse link.  

I would like to here from somebody in faithlife to see if this is possible in the future.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS