Number of lemmas in Lemma in Passage

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 33475
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 25 2015 11:16 PM

Okay run a PG with Lemma in Passage on John 3:16 which has 25 words ... a few more lemmas assuming that each instance of a lemma is counted and that derivational morphology be considered. So why does the list of lemmas in Passage seem to be an endless list including words I can't place anywhere in the text?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 10837
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2015 3:07 AM

Confirmed with John 11:35, which has only 3 words in Greek. The list never ends. But I think I see the reason

Lange quotes from Hebrews 5:7, so Lemma in passage picks up all those words. Alford quotes a range of verses which includes John 11:35. This growing list of included words seems to have no end. Two of the words in John 11:35 appear at the top of the list, but Ἰησοῦς is 19th in the list.

Nice feature, but it does need some more work.

Posts 1419
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2015 1:45 PM

Hi folks.

The Lemma in Passage section handles all lemmas discussed in conjunction with a passage in a commentary. This can extend outside of the verse boundary in several instances. Sometimes, an NT commentary will discuss associated Hebrew lemmas, sometimes synonyms will be discussed, sometimes parallel passages.

Basically, this tracks lemmas discussed in a commentary on a particular passage, not just lemmas in the passage under discussion. Subtle difference, but a very meaningful one.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 10837
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2015 2:40 PM

Rick Brannan (Faithlife):
Basically, this tracks lemmas discussed in a commentary on a particular passage, not just lemmas in the passage under discussion. Subtle difference, but a very meaningful one.

That is fine, but lemmas in the referenced passage should receive priority. As it is, they can sometimes be lost in the crowd.

In this feature's present state, I doubt that I would use it very much—far too cluttered to be useful.

Posts 33475
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2015 3:58 PM

Rick Brannan (Faithlife):

No problem now that I understand. But the ones in the passage itself should be at the top with a line separating them from the derivatives OR the derivatives should be expand/contract under the lemma that invoked them.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1419
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2015 4:31 PM

Yep; getting the lemmas to display is one thing; ranking them is another. That latter aspect is still being worked on; the spec may even address it in some manner that hasn't been implemented yet.

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming!

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 816
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2015 1:04 PM

For the record, I think it's a good idea to have subsections for words in the passage versus other words, and assuming Mr. Wizard Rick can get the data into the resource, we should be able to do just that.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS