Ideas for Psalms commentaries

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 58
Kathy Brasby | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 28 2015 6:28 AM

I tried to search for this in the forums and had no luck, but I'm fairly inexperienced on the forums.  If there are posts on this topic, please tell me how to search better. ;)

I am working on a writing/teaching project in the Psalms and need ideas for more technical commentaries to help with the project. Suggestions?

Thank you!

Kathy

Posts 78
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2015 6:40 AM

Kathy Brasby:

I tried to search for this in the forums and had no luck, but I'm fairly inexperienced on the forums.  If there are posts on this topic, please tell me how to search better. ;)

I am working on a writing/teaching project in the Psalms and need ideas for more technical commentaries to help with the project. Suggestions?

Thank you!

Kathy

Hi

I like to use a combination. The WBC volumes are very good but you have to balance them with something else. I like the NIVAC volume as it comes from a different direction. Also, Encountering the Book of Psalms by Bullock is very good.

Posts 3194
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2015 6:47 AM

George Zemek has a great techincal book on Psalm 119 found here https://www.logos.com/product/37964/the-word-of-god-in-the-child-of-god-exegetical-theological-and-homiletical-reflections-from-the-119th-psalm have sat under him in numerous courses great grasp of the languages of the  Word of God.

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2015 6:48 AM

Kathy Brasby:

I've just begun preaching on the Psalms. Restricting myself to technical commentaries available in Logos, I'd recommend the new NICOT volume as head and shoulders the best. Also worth checking out is the Mentor volume. Personally I find the format of the WBC off-putting, and the Anchor volume a great disappointment (it concentrates on detail so much, it doesn't actually help you know what the Psalm means!). The ECC and FOTL volumes aren't bad (and have good bibliographies). For something a little different, Bruce Walkte's Psalms as Christian Lament and Psalms as Christian Worship are certainly worth consulting for the Psalms they cover.

Posts 58
Kathy Brasby | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2015 7:10 AM

Thank you! Yes, those help a great deal. I tried to search by "Psalms commentaries" and came up empty. I am taking notes on these ideas. Thanks!!

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2015 7:26 AM

Kathy Brasby:

Thank you!

Kathy

This was suggested to help with searches to find material discussed on the forums using a Google search box.

1. Type site:community.logos.com
  2. then hit the spacebar once
  3. then type the topic you wish to search 
  4. enjoy the fast and accurate results

E.g. site:community.logos.com archaeology

Posts 5251
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2015 11:47 AM

Two I want to mention, one being a favourite not yet mentioned and the other being one highly lauded but not one i find overly useful..

Psalms I: 1–50 by Mitchell Dahood 

Psalms II: 51–100 by Mitchell Dahood

The Anchor Yale Bible: Psalms III: 101–150 by Mitchell Dahood

I personally have not found these Anchor volumes great but I know several people I highly respect who consider them essential. 

Continental Commentary Series: Psalms 1-59 by Hans-Joachim Kraus

Continental Commentary Series: Psalms 60-150 by Hans-Joachim Kraus

Continental Commentary Series: Theology of the Psalms by Hans-Joachim Kraus

While these three have been extremely valuable to me.

-Dan

Posts 6492
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2015 12:47 PM

NIB series J. Clinton McCann Jr. is great, but not sold separately.

DAL

Posts 58
Kathy Brasby | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2015 3:31 PM
Thank you again for all the ideas. I really appreciate them.
Posts 5251
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2015 3:45 PM

DAL:

NIB series J. Clinton McCann Jr. is great, but not sold separately.

DAL

Very true it is likely my favourite over all.... although that did remind me of another I should mention... 

Interpretation: A Bible Commentary for Teaching and Preaching Psalms by James L. Mays 

Of course I have left out other very valuable commentaries that tend to be more devotional like: 

The Vitality of Worship: A Commentary on the Book of Psalms by Robert Davidson

The Psalms: A Historical and Spiritual Commentary with an Introduction and Translation by J. Eaton

Christ in the Psalms by Patrick Henry Reardon

-Dan

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS