Seeking Discernment on G.K. Beale's books

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1700
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 29 2015 1:52 PM

https://www.logos.com/product/37663/handbook-on-the-new-testament-use-of-the-old-testament-exegesis-and-interpretation

Curious how this book differs from the newer and more popular version of the book:

https://www.logos.com/product/5321/commentary-on-the-new-testament-use-of-the-old-testament

I am interested here in replies on this book or his other books in terms of usefulness while writing sermons please.  Other comments, of course,welcome too.

In short, are these books a good buy and, if so, why please?

Posts 13385
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2015 2:07 PM

Beale and Carson's Commentary on the NT use of the OT is indispensable in my opinion, for sermons and academic work. There's nothing else like it. I consult it for every sermon I preach.

Beale's Handbook on the NT use of the OT is a completely different book. It's also excellent. I use it in teaching an introductory course in Biblical Theology. It's a 'How To', and not a commentary. It's an introductory text book (first year seminary, I would say), fairly slim, but very helpful.

In my opinion, Beale is the most helpful writer today on this subject, and I strongly recommend his work.

Posts 10403
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2015 2:11 PM

JoshInRI:

• The handbook is a monograph on the topic of NT use of the OT, written by GK Beale. You see the ToC in the right tab.

• The commentary, however, is totally different. Beale was the editor, not the author (authors are a selection of evangelical exegesis heavyweights, as you can see from the ToC in the left tab). It's organized not topical, but as a commentary, giving explanation to every NT use of the OT 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 6858
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2015 2:11 PM

One is a "Handbook" the other is a "Commentary." I'd go for the commentary since the material is ready for use in sermon prep.  The handbook teaches you "how to" find what's already in the commentary :) Others may have a more technical response.

DAL

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2015 2:17 PM
Mark Barnes:
Beale and Carson's Commentary on the NT use of the OT... There's nothing else like it. I consult it for every sermon I preach.
Same here. It's a unique commentary, and one I use every time I am doing any NT exegetical work, whether for preaching, Bible Studies, or academic work. .

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 1700
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2015 3:20 PM

Greg, Mark and others...I am deeply thankful and once again - humbled - by your swift and Godly help.

Blessings upon you all.

Joshua in Rhode Island

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS