Insufficient Privileges (Re)Installing Logos 6

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 18
Raif | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 30 2015 10:49 AM

I had Logos installed, but every time I tried to install the latest update, I received an error message, even when I had started Logos as administrator. The message says, "The selected user does not have sufficient privileges to complete the setup. Please choose Administrator from the Run As.. dialog."

In an attempt to solve this problem, I uninstalled Logos, then restarted my computer (Surface Pro 3, Windows 8.1). I downloaded the installer file for Logos and tried again, but I still get the same message. It does not matter whether I start the installer regularly (and I am an administrator) or “as administrator.”

Before posting this message, I noticed that I had received this response from Logos Tech Support:

Thank you for the email. It sounds like there are restrictions setup on the user account (even if this has been done recently) or something has gone wrong with the privileges on your user account on this computer. If you’re still getting that dialog when running as administrator you’ll want to talk to the IT staff if this is a company/church computer, or talk to a Windows technician if it is your personal machine, as they are better suited to resolve problems with the operating system. 

I have included my response to that message below:

If that is the case, why am I able to run other installers from the same location on my computer as the Logos installer? I tried several other installation packages and all ran without any problems. Since the issue is restricted to Logos, would you still say it is a Windows problem?

It would be helpful if anyone could shed some light on this situation.

Raif Turner

Posts 21869
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2015 10:58 AM

Hi Raif

Raif:
It does not matter whether I start the installer regularly (and I am an administrator) or “as administrator.”

As a general principle it is not recommended to run Logos as Administrator.

Raif:
If that is the case, why am I able to run other installers from the same location on my computer as the Logos installer? I tried several other installation packages and all ran without any problems. Since the issue is restricted to Logos, would you still say it is a Windows problem?

The reason it could be a Windows config / permissions issue is that the Logos software is installed in folders in your "Users" file structures as opposed to in "Program Files" which may be used by other apps.

The software will install in folders beneath C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Logosn

Do you have any folders in that location already? Are you able to create files there?

Graham

Posts 18
Raif | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2015 11:10 AM

Thanks for the consideration. The following path existed on my computer:

C:\Users\Raif\AppData\Local\Logos

I just added a new folder to that Logos folder. Then I added a text file to the Logos folder, edited it, and saved it.

Posts 21869
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2015 11:55 AM

Raif:
I just added a new folder to that Logos folder. Then I added a text file to the Logos folder, edited it, and saved it.

Sounds goodSmile

In your top level "Documents" area do you have a sub-folder called "Logos Log Files"?

If so are there any logs - ideally setup logs - from the last time you tried to do an installation?

If so, please upload them in a reply to this thread using the paperclip icon

Posts 24851
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2015 12:18 PM

Raif:
I just added a new folder to that Logos folder.

You might also try fixing folder ownership

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 18
Raif | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2015 12:22 PM

Thanks for your help. 

In searching for the top-level "Documents" folder, I found that I had more than one "Documents" folder listed in Windows Explorer. The one in the quick access area near the top is the one I normally use. The second "Documents" folder, in the section for "This PC," pointed to a folder on an external drive that was no longer connected to the PC. I changed the location for the second "Documents" to be the same as the first and the installer began working properly. I had seen a similar post concerning location of the "Documents" folder and I had checked mine. Unfortunately, I had only checked the first "Documents" shortcut and assumed the second would have been the same.

Posts 18
Raif | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2015 12:26 PM

Thought it might be pertinent to point out that the "Documents" link I normally use (the one at the top) is where I found the directory I mentioned earlier which contains the Logos directory. With this in mind, it appears odd that the second location would cause problems.

Posts 21869
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2015 12:45 PM

Glad it is working.

I admit to not fully understanding the configuration you describe but hopefully everything will be fine now.

Posts 24851
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2015 1:14 PM

Raif:
Unfortunately, I had only checked the first "Documents" shortcut and assumed the second would have been the same.
Raif:
Unfortunately, I had only checked the first "Documents" shortcut and assumed the second would have been the same.

It appears you re-directed your Windows 'Documents' folder to the external drive thus causing problems for Logos when the drive was removed (the installer tries to store log files in a sub-folder). The shortcut to 'Documents' in the Quick Access area would continue to work if the original 'Documents' folder still existed, whereas the 'Documents' folder in 'This PC' reflects the re-direction.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 18
Raif | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2015 1:51 PM

I understand what you are saying. The part that doesn't make sense is that the folders for my Logos files (C:\Users\Raif\AppData\Local\Logos\) were under the folder referenced by "Documents" in the Quick Access area.

Posts 24851
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2015 2:18 PM

Raif:
The part that doesn't make sense is that the folders for my Logos files (C:\Users\Raif\AppData\Local\Logos\) were under the folder referenced by "Documents" in the Quick Access area.

I was unsure about your statement, but the shortcut obviously got corrupted! Perhaps Faithlife can explain that.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS