Do we need the "uhs" transcribed in Sermons

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 450
Stephen McCracken | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 3 2015 7:55 AM

Sometimes a "uh" is deliberate in speech but most often we (I) use it when we are thinking of what to say next!  I came across a number in a few sentences in a Greg Laurie Sermon like this:

"Because now when we look back on it we probably look back with a certain degree of uh of uh desire to be there again you know."

I did a search of "uh" and Laurie has 4916 "uhs" in 379 articles. Some of them are deliberate and need to be retained, like in the Tim Keller sermons, but many break the flow of reading the sermons.

So my question is whether they actually need to transcribed as part of the sermon.

I would prefer not.

Posts 947
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2015 8:23 AM

I would think those would be editied out, but from what I know of Logos' transcripting services, they are done overseas and may not have the culturlal/lingual knowledge to know to not add them.

I would think that this would be a good reason for Logos to institute a QA team.

Posts 1345
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2015 8:44 AM

In the Greg Laurie Sermon Archive, the transcriptions were provided to us. (i.e. we did not do the transcriptions ourselves).

In the cases where no transcriptions exist (e.g. Tim Keller, Mobile Ed), they go through a transcription process and are copy edited to A) faithfully reproduce what was said while B) maintaining readability.

Posts 450
Stephen McCracken | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2015 10:27 AM

Kyle, thanks for explaining the difference. But does that mean you cannot ask that they be removed to "maintain readability"?

Posts 2751
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2015 10:39 AM

as its not common word mabe you could use visual filter (if possible) to blank/remove them in mean time

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 1345
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2015 11:29 AM
  1. It's something that we can bring up with persons and organizations during the beginning stages.
  2. If that doesn't work out, we could--in theory--make copy editing part of the production process of any sermon archive regardless of the source material. Of course that would affect the production cost and make it harder to get the project fully funded. It would be a matter of evaluating the trade-off.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS