Logos Crashes on Startup; HELP

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 60
Bruce | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 18 2010 2:55 PM

I have been quite blessed with L4 and esp. since I have not experienced the problems so often reported herein … until this morning. My L4 crashes on startup. I noted the suggestion of starting with the CNTL key and checking open “use blank layout.” That gets Logos started, I can open my layouts, but when I try to access the home page it crashes each time. I noticeed as I attempted to trouble shoot that when I opened a layout, Logos would sometimes try to open a floating window. Usually it was the library; one layout opened Biblical Things to “hoopoe” for which I had looked up a day or two ago. I deleted these layouts and checked all other layouts to see if they tried to open a floating window. The few others seem to be fine; however still crashes.

I am running Windows 7, with an Acer Aspire 6930 laptop (Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00 Hz, 4 GB RAM, 64-bit). I am running the latest update: 4.0a SR-3 (4.01.3.5180). I have had absolutely no problems until today.

I have attached two log files, one without the CNTL option selected, and the other with the CNTL option selected on the opening splash screen and Logos crashes once the home page is attempting to open (the ribbon appears) and then crashes. I also attempted to access the home page with no layout (close all command), and suffered the same result.

I also tried the suggestion of relogging in as discussed in the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_Not_Starting

Hope all this makes sense? Thanks for anyone’s help!!

0211.Logos4 without CNTL.log

7563.Logos4 with CNTL.log

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 3:50 PM

Try deleting the contents of this folder C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\<random>\HomePage

The AppData folder is hidden so you will need enable viewing of hidden files and folders.

Posts 146
Joe Mayden | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 4:44 PM

I am in the same boat - if I use the cntr key when I start I get the blank layout.  Load other layouts but the when I click the Home Icon it crashes.  This is what Melissa at Logos said in an email:

Something on the home page is crashing the program, but it’s not clear what’s causing it.  Since Beta 11 was just released, check it again after the update has been downloaded and installed. If it still crashes, try again tomorrow to see if the problem is related to a specific feed from today.

Posts 60
Bruce | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 5:09 PM

Kevin and Joe: Thank you for your quick responses. 1) I am not running a beta addition; 2) I deleted the Homepage folder contents Kevin suggested and it still crashes on startup. A couple more items that might be helpful in trouble shooting this:

1) When I started Logos this time after deleting the homepage folder contents, when it crashed, it also brought up the window “indexing your files” at the same time. I remember this morning before crashing the first time, that when I started windows, I received the note that Logos was indexing my resources. I thought this a bit strange as I do not remember downloading anything recently that would have necessitated an indexing. I have attached a screen shot of this latest crash, FYI.

2) I have also attached the latest log file. I note in reading through this (I am not that technically competent; just nosing around) that the “Floating window is activated”:

2010-02-19 07:24:28.5965              1              Info        FloatingWindow               Floating window activated: LDLS4.FloatingWindow

Is it possible that this is somehow related to an earlier problem as noted in my first post?

5861.2010 02 19 Logos Crash PrtSc.docx

8311.Logos4.log

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 6:11 PM

Bruce,

I find your most recent log file curious. There are no errors. While I'm not totally versed in what everything in logs mean, it almost looks to me like the application was shut down properly... which is inconsistent with the crash message (that and  the application shutting down 3 seconds after launched)!

I will have to defer to one of the developers who roam the forum (or someone who's come across this error before) to suggest another course of action.

Posts 146
Joe Mayden | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 6:18 PM

Kevin, check out my logs.  I start Logos4 with Cntr to get blank screen - then go to layouts and load several of my layouts all working ok.  But I click on the Home icon in the top left and crash.

Attached is my log.0878.Logos4.log

Posts 60
Bruce | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 6:26 PM

Kevin: Thank you for taking a look at the log file. I checked the time stamp on that file and I think I may have sent the wrong log file. I have attempted to restart Logos again, and this time I think I have a good log file; it crashed and immediately brought up the “indexing your resources” notification. If you look at the end of the file, it appears problematic. Thx for your help!5504.Logos4.log

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 6:30 PM

JoeMayden:
Kevin, check out my logs.  I start Logos4 with Cntr to get blank screen - then go to layouts and load several of my layouts all working ok.  But I click on the Home icon in the top left and crash.

Interesting. Your logs are full of WpfDataBinding Errors. However, they (according to Logos) are rarely fatal and they don't seem to be directly related to the crash. The log just ends. I don't know what to suggest. Try deleting the contents of the folder I recommended above. It might not do anything but it can't hurt and it has fixed bugs w/ corrupted homepage contents in the past, perhaps we'll get lucky Smile.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 6:34 PM

BruceGay:

Kevin: Thank you for taking a look at the log file. I checked the time stamp on that file and I think I may have sent the wrong log file. I have attempted to restart Logos again, and this time I think I have a good log file; it crashed and immediately brought up the “indexing your resources” notification. If you look at the end of the file, it appears problematic. Thx for your help!5504.Logos4.log

Okay that's a real crash. Was there an indexer log that was saved too? That might be helpful in diagnosing this problem.

Normally, with problems with the index, I would recommend the command "rebuild index" to see if that would correct the problem. But if Logos in crashing we'll have to trigger a new index by deleting the contents of the index folder C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\<random>\LibraryIndex

However, I'm not convinced yet that this is the right course of action. If you can afford the re-indexing time, go for it. But first see if you can upload indexer logs, they might hold some extra clues about what's gone wrong.

Posts 60
Bruce | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 6:40 PM

Kevin: Each time I start Logos I get the “indexing your resources” notification. Right now the indexer is running. I have attached the Logos4Indexer.log, but it might only reflect what is going on right now.

I have the platinum edition, plus a lot of other books I have added over the years (about 2,700). Yes, I can afford the indexing time, but obviously if this is not the fix would like to forgo that for now.  Thx for the help!

1057.Logos4Indexer.log

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 6:46 PM

From your indexer log it is clear that it is attempting a merge of indexes. 4.0a has had problems with merging indexes. Also there is an error in the indexing log, I don't know if it's from a problem with the merge or if something is corrupted, causing problems.

If I were in your shoes I would delete my index before I went to bed and let it run overnight and see what it looks like in the morning.

I can't guarantee that a new index will fix the problem, but it shouldn't hurt.

EDIT: as I look at the indexer log again, it looks like there might be a problem with your metadata db (it'd be nice if Logos would release a key to reading the logs, make it easier on us to figure things out). The metadata is stored here: C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\<random>\Updates\metadata.db I might try deleting it too Smile I apologize for guessing so much. I won't be offended in the slightest if you decide to wait for someone who knows more than I do.

Posts 146
Joe Mayden | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 6:49 PM

I did delete the homepage folder as you suggested it still would not load homepage without crashing.  I can load my layouts but would like to get my home page back again!

I am attaching index log maybe you can make something out of that!0763.Logos4Indexer.log

Thanks

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 6:55 PM

Joe, thanks for your indexer log. No errors, so it appears to be running just fine. I think that your problem is different than Bruce's, but I don't know for sure.

Posts 60
Bruce | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 7:00 PM

Thx Kevin. I'll let 'er rip and we'll see what happens. Perhaps we have a couple of issues going on here.

Posts 60
Bruce | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 7:10 PM

Kevin: What do you think about first deleting the metadata.db file, then if I get another crash, deleting the indexing file and try re-indexing?

I understand you may not have the total answer, but you have more than I have right now! The worst that can happen is that I have to do a total install! Right? Not-to-worry; I appreciate your help. Smile

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 7:18 PM

BruceGay:

Kevin: What do you think about first deleting the metadata.db file, then if I get another crash, deleting the indexing file and try re-indexing?

I understand you may not have the total answer, but you have more than I have right now! The worst that can happen is that I have to do a total install! Right? Not-to-worry; I appreciate your help. Smile

I guess that's the best idea and gives you a chance of avoiding a total re-index, although with 4.0a's track record of merges that might be in your future no matter what.

See if you can load Logos with a blank layout after you delete the Metadata to give it time to download a fresh copy from the servers (may need an "update now' in the command line).

Just hope I don't peeve tech support with my advice Smile. Let me know how it turns out, I'm going to bed right now.

Posts 35
Peter Junor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 8:14 PM

My problem is pretty much the same as Bruce's, and my system is almost identical.

No luck on the "delete Home Page" hint, nor on the wiki site referred to.

I have had no trouble until todayt

I did notice that there was a 460+Mb automatic download last night, and I have my suspicions that this might be the source of the drama

Peter

Posts 60
Bruce | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 9:09 PM

Still crashed; here is what I did:

Deleted metadata.db

Closed all programs and rebooted

On reboot, Logos indexer auto started and again started indexing resources

When indexing completed, started Logos using CNTRL key and checking the box to start in open window

Logos started and shortly thereafter, so did indexing.

Forced an update with "Update now" in command line

"No updates available"; "No updates were found"

Loaded layout; no problem

Attempted to open home page; crashed. Note that indexer is also still running through all this

Waiting until indexer stopped; it finally did: crashed

Attached are log file and indexer files

04548.Logos4.log

7651.Logos4Indexer.log

Next steps; I will:

Delete library index contents at: C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\<random>\LibraryIndex

Restart Logos with CNTRL key

Let logos re-index or try the "rebuild index" command (See this post about Journals: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/11911.aspx. I have most of these so am wondering .... )

I will post when done and let us see what we have. If anyone can find anything from the attached logs and post, that might also be helpful. Thx for everyone's help.

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2010 10:09 PM

I have the same problem, and I am sure it has to do with the latest update. I didn't have any issues until today.

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Posts 60
Bruce | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 19 2010 2:46 AM

Success! To close this post so others might learn:

Deleted library index contents at: C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\<random>\LibraryIndex

Restarted Logos with CNTRL key

Let logos re-index; left Logos with empty screen and minimized. Indexing took about 6 hours for about 2700 books.

Closed Logos

Opened Logos with CNTRL key (to start logging)

Forced update with “update now” command

Opened home page … YES! It worked!

I’m not sure if forcing the update at the end was needed, but just wanted to make sure. Hopefully, this will be the end of the issue. Thx to all for hanging with me on this and seeing it through! Big Smile

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS