Septuagint of nehemiah

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 13
Don Axford | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 9 2015 2:42 PM

I can't seem to link the book of Nehemiah to the Septuagint Greek text. 

Posts 23960
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2015 3:01 PM

Don Axford:

I can't seem to link the book of Nehemiah to the Septuagint Greek text. 

Please provide more details.

Which platform, which resources, what happens?

I am currently using my iPad and it links fine

Posts 13
Don Axford | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2015 9:02 AM

Graham

I have logos 6 installed with the original 2005 level 3 package. I have my English Bibles on one split screen and the LXX and Hebrew on the other. For all other OT books, as far as I know, when I click on either the LXX or Hebrew the link skips to that location no problem. In the case of Nehemiah the Hebrew links ok but the LXX jumps to Esdras B or sometimes to Esther. The problem with Esdras B is I have no way of finding the actual verse I am looking for.

Don 

Posts 23960
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2015 11:44 AM

Don Axford:
In the case of Nehemiah the Hebrew links ok but the LXX jumps to Esdras B

Ezra & Nehemiah are known as "Esdras B" in the LXX

That Ezra-Nehemiah was originally a single work called Ezra is indicated by the earliest manuscripts of the LXX (Vaticanus, Sinaiticus, Alexandrinus) that treat the two books as one, calling them Esdras B

Mark A. Throntveit, “Nehemiah, Book of,” ed. David Noel Freedman, Allen C. Myers, and Astrid B. Beck, Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible (Grand Rapids, MI: W.B. Eerdmans, 2000), 955.

• The Greek Septuagint titles Ezra-Nehemiah as Esdras B when the two books are combined and Esdras C when the two books are separated.

Israel P. Loken, “Nehemiah, Book of,” ed. John D. Barry et al., The Lexham Bible Dictionary (Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015).

Does this explain what you are seeing?

Posts 13
Don Axford | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2015 12:31 PM

Yes but how do I link the Esdras B to the actual verse in Nehemiah? I get the entire LXX but there is no cross reference.

Posts 23960
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2015 1:04 PM

Strange - in my screenshot the references lined up.

Which resources are you usng, can you post a screenshot?

Posts 13
Don Axford | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2015 2:07 PM

Posts 100
Kristine Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2015 8:53 PM

Looking at the table of contents for Septuaginta: Morphologically Tagged Edition (Rahlfs) (LXX.lbxlls), Esdras B' is divided into separately numbered Ezra and Nehemiah division chapters, 1-10 for Ezra and 1-13 for Nehemiah, whereas other Septuagint editions number all Esdras B sequentially, chapters 1-23, accounting for both Ezra and Nehemiah.  Something is wrong once Rahlfs starts chapter numbering Esdras B' 1-13 for Nehemiah, and those chapters do not track with other Septuagint editions' chapters Esdras B 11-23 for Nehemiah, or NASB Nehemiah 1-13. 

Posts 30869
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2015 11:01 PM

Good sleuthing -I'll bring this to the attention of Logos staff.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8977
LogosEmployee

Septuaginta: Morphologically Tagged Edition (LLS:1.0.301) is an older resource that hasn't been brought up to our modern standards. We recommend hiding it and using one of the following replacements: Septuagint with Logos Morphology (LLS:LOGOSLXX) or The Old Testament in Greek according to the Septuagint (LLS:OTGRKSWETETXT).

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS