Linux version of Logos Bible Software

Page 61 of 63 (1250 items) « First ... < Previous 59 60 61 62 63 Next >
This post has 1,249 Replies | 61 Followers

Posts 173
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 16 2021 9:31 AM

John Goodman:
This is hard to assist with without a lot more info. Distro version, wine version, Logos version. Sounds like you upgraded rather than installed?

Distro: Wasta 20.04 (Ubuntu based) || Wine version: no idea (I had been using Wine 5.something for Logos8, installed using Rik's "Google Doc" method, but I needed to change Wine version to install Logos9 using the "ferion" script -- what version I ended up with, or how to check, I don't have a clue...) || Logos version: 9.5.

I think I installed rather than upgraded (going from Logos8 to Logos9), but I'm not entirely sure... I'm a Linux user, not a Linux guru. I think the assumption is that anyone using Linux is a guru. Not so in my case. I truly appreciate all the help that people offer, but as you can see re. 'wine version', I need a lot of help. :-\

John Goodman:
Gecko is not used by Logos so you can click 'No'.

Logos9, installed with the 'ferion script', wouldn't run until I clicked 'Yes', so I don't know what was going on there.

John Goodman:
Restore them from backup or wait for them to download again.

"Restore them from backup" is exactly what I don't know how to do. Is there a step-by-step for that somewhere?

Posts 1172
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 16 2021 10:40 AM

Ok that's helpful. The ferion script installs its own self contained version of Logos in the directory /home/[username]/LogosBible_Linux_P

If you chose fast install with AppImage then it is running on the wine AppImage supplied with it which is compatible as you would expect.

To migrate the data to Logos 9 you could either download again. In which case you'll have 2 copies of the data on your machine and its slow to do depending on your library size and internet speed or move three folders/directories from the old install to the new one.

Those are Documents, Users and Data.

Look in (or similar its a long time since I used wasta) /home/$USER/.wine-logos64/drive_c/users/$USER/Local Settings/Application Data/Logos/

Move them to: /home/$USER/LogosBible_Linux_P/data/wine64_bottle/drive_c/users/$USER/Local Settings/Application Data/Logos/

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 1172
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 16 2021 10:41 AM

Logos should not be running when you move the files.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 173
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 16 2021 12:12 PM

I copied Data~Documents~User files to .wine-logos instead of LogosBible_Linux_P before I got your reply. I guess that was a mistake, because now Logos9 crashes on startup. :-( So I think I've got leftover stuff from a previous install, and my machine -- not to mention me! -- is confused. So if I was going to start over, from scratch, what should I do? I do have Data~Documents~User files backed up from my Logos8 install, but I'd be happy to get rid of previous installs and start over. I presume that's possible? I just don't know how to uninstall winebottles or wineprefixes or what-have-you.

I have two other programs that I run using Wine: MyPhoneExplorer and PDF-XChange Editor. MyPhoneExplorer 'broke' when I installed Logos9 (because I updated Wine from 5.x to 6.x?). I'd like to get that back and hopefully not 'break' PDF-XChange Editor along the way.

Any help appreciated...

Posts 22
Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 16 2021 12:54 PM

There are few moving parts there, Paul, because of the other programs. Do you have Telegram and could you join us in the Logos on Linux Telegram group?

https://t.me/linux_logos

Posts 173
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 16 2021 12:57 PM

Taylor:

There are few moving parts there, Paul, because of the other programs. Do you have Telegram and could you join us in the Logos on Linux Telegram group?

https://t.me/linux_logos

I'm not sure what Telegram is, so I probably don't have it.

Posts 22
Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 16 2021 1:26 PM

Then we will just have to make do with what we have! (For what it's worth, Telegram is free-to-use chat client. It is one of several popular options among opensource folks.)

You can get your current wine version by running the following in the terminal:

wine --version

You can get your current wine installation's directory by running

which wine

And verify that wine is itself not linked by something else by running, where the path is the output of which:

ls -lah /PATH/TO/wine

You will want to open up your three Wine programs' application launchers (the menu/desktop launch buttons) and copy their command execution (the command which actually makes them run, for which the buttons are shortcuts/links). You can get these either by editing the menu items/opening the menu editor of your application launcher or, going to another likely source, which is found in the folder /home/USER/.local/share/applications/. Just open the appropriate file there for your applications.

Those commands will tell us which wine binary is being executed to run the programs. If the programs list the same path to wine as which wine, the command above, then they are running your system's wine version. If they are running a different binary, the path will be different, and you will want to execute the command /ALTERNATE/PATH/TO/wine --version to get the wine version being used by the other programs. We also need from those commands the wine prefix used, which is little more than the directory that is storing the wine programs, this would be, for instance, /home/USER/.wine-logos, or /home/USER/.wine, or /home/USER/.wine64.

Based on what I am seeing, Ubuntu 20.04 should still be using Wine 5.0.x, unless I am mistaken.

Get that information to share it with us, and we can proceed from there. Feel free to obfuscate personally identifying information if you desire.

Posts 173
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 16 2021 3:26 PM

Thanks Taylor. Here's the output of the commands I could make sense of (I don't understand what to fill in for /ALTERNATE/PATH/TO/wine --version...):

wine --version: wine-6.0.1

which wine: /usr/bin/wine

ls -lah /usr/bin/wine: lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Jun  7 15:00 /usr/bin/wine -> /opt/wine-stable/bin/wine

Logos8 (working): env WINEPREFIX="/home/paul/.wine-logos" /opt/wasta-wine/bin/wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe /Unix /home/paul/.wine-logos/dosdevices/c:/users/paul/Start\ Menu/Programs/Logos\ Bible\ Software.lnk

Logos9 (broken!): /home/paul/LogosBible_Linux_P/Logos.sh

MyPhoneExplorer (broken!): env WINEPREFIX="/home/paul/.wine_myphoneexplorer" wine-stable C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe /Unix /home/paul/.wine_myphoneexplorer/dosdevices/c:/users/Public/Desktop/MyPhoneExplorer.lnk

PDF-XChange Editor (working): /usr/share/playonlinux/playonlinux --run "PDFXEdit" %F [for what it's worth, PlayOnLinux says "Wine version: System"]

I have a number of .wine and "wine type" folders in /home/ (some from failed installs?), including: LogosBible_Linux_P, PlayOnLinux's virtual drives, .logos-data, .PlayOnLinux, .wine, .wine-logos, .wine-myphoneexplorer, .wine-PDF-XChange-Editor.

Based on instructions I got here (https://community.logos.com/forums/p/121/1170528.aspx#1170528) I updated Wine to 6.0.1.

Thanks for working through this with me.

Posts 1172
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2021 2:35 PM

When you say that LogosBible_Linux_P is broken what do you mean?

Posts 173
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2021 8:57 PM

John Goodman:

When you say that LogosBible_Linux_P is broken what do you mean?

That when I try to launch Logos9 (which is in LogosBible_Linux_P), I get the Logos9 splash screen, the "Preparing your library" window, after which the main window opens, but then immediately I get a "Program Error": The program Logos.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. This can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine.

I have saved the 'details' of the error report, if that might help.

Posts 1172
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2021 11:56 PM

Sounds like a missing dependency or a broken .Net installation. I suggest deleting LogosBible_Linux_P and using the fast install script again without the AppImage option.

Posts 173
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2021 8:05 AM

Just delete the folder LogosBible_Linux_P? That will clean out everything (shortcuts, etc., etc.)? Oh, and .logos-data -- does that belong to this install, or a different one...?

Posts 173
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2021 8:11 AM

Hmmm... The only installer I'm seeing has "AppImage" (https://github.com/ferion11/LogosLinuxInstaller/releases). Or am I supposed to use the "source code" to install it? Or (just re-reading the installation instructions) do I just select option 2 in step 01 when I run the fast install script (https://github.com/ferion11/LogosLinuxInstaller)? Sorry to sound pedantic, but after all the issues I've faced I'd like to get it right!

Posts 173
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2021 10:00 AM

I read through the instruction page again, and I think my questions were answered. [If in doubt, read the instructions...]

I have Logos9 installed and running. It's downloading 2 GB of updates... Things are quite slow, but maybe it will improve when the updates are applied.

Thanks for all the help you've provided!

Posts 173
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2021 12:53 PM

I had one "Program Error" crash after shutting Logos9 down and restarting it. I started fine the second time (phew!).

I copied 21 GB of Data~Documents~User files to the corresponding folders in LogosBible_Linux_P, and it went through "Preparing library" but not "Indexing". Most of my resources were still unavailable on the device, so I ran "Rebuild Index" in the Command box, but on completion most resources still want me to download them... Is it a matter of waiting for Logos to sort out its brain? Or do I really have to download everything again (2754 items)?

Posts 1172
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 20 2021 3:12 AM

I'm sorry you're having such a challenge. I would expect if those folders were in place for it to just pick up the content. It might be you need to download again.

Posts 173
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 20 2021 4:26 PM

I would have expected the same... Based on what I'm seeing, though, I think I'm going to have to try installing again. :-( I don't even have a logo beside the Start Menu entry, and when I pin it to the Task Bar, it's blank (if I click on the 'blank', though, Logos9 starts).

Posts 1172
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 20 2021 4:30 PM

Before that try going to the LogosBible_Linux_P dir and running the script with 'shortcut' as the argument. It should make you a shortcut.

./Logos.sh shortcut

Posts 173
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 21 2021 7:28 AM

John Goodman:

Before that try going to the LogosBible_Linux_P dir and running the script with 'shortcut' as the argument. It should make you a shortcut.

./Logos.sh shortcut

Thank you, that worked. I can't find the file the Terminal said it had created in the location it gave, but I do now have an icon for my Start Menu item (and it 'sticks' when I add it to the Panel).

Currently downloading all my resources again... Doing it in chunks so that hopefully indexing doesn't bork. So far so good.

Posts 5
George Young | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 21 2021 7:58 PM

I'm using Garuda KDE (an Arch distro) and I'm very new to Linux. I can't get this package to install. When I run the fast script it tells me "Your system does not have the command: xmd. Please install command xmd package. Usually is necessary: winbind cabextract libjpeg."

I did some digging and it seems that Samba contains winbind and I think cabextract, so I installed Samba, but I'm still getting that error. I'm not sure what to do from here. Can anyone help a newb ween himself off of Windows? Logos is probably one of the last programs I need to get running in order to start my transition to Linux.

Page 61 of 63 (1250 items) « First ... < Previous 59 60 61 62 63 Next > | RSS