Linux version of Logos Bible Software

Page 62 of 72 (1428 items) « First ... < Previous 60 61 62 63 64 Next > ... Last »
This post has 1,427 Replies | 66 Followers

Posts 6
George Young | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 22 2021 9:12 AM

I was informed that the package name on Arch is xorg-xwd. I installed that with sudo pacman -S and ran through the installer fine. I'm now downloading my resources.

Posts 185
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2021 11:24 AM

I just got a new machine and am trying to install Logos. Following the video Ferion11 provided, after typing

./fast_install_AppImageWine_and_Logos.sh

in the terminal, I get the Error:

Your system does not have the command: ntlm_auth. Please install command ntlm_auth package. Usually is necessary: winbind cabextract libjpeg8.

I had a look in Synaptic Package Manager, and the closest I could find is:

python3-ntlm-auth

Is that what I need to install? I'm running Wasta 20.04 (based on Ubuntu).

Posts 185
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2021 11:49 AM

A bit of hunting revealed that ntlm_auth is part of samba (https://www.tutorialspoint.com/unix_commands/ntlm_auth.htm). I didn't have samba installed, so I went ahead and installed it. I tried running the fast install script again, but it still errored out... So then I looked more closely at the error message and thought that maybe "usually is necessary" means "these are dependencies that could solve your problem". So while I had cabextract installed, I did not have winbind installed. I installed winbind and now the script is running. Less cryptic error messages would be a huge help for this linux learner! :-P

Posts 21
Jared A Warner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2021 1:27 PM

I just installed this on my Ubuntu laptop. And it is running right now. I have been looking for a way to install logos on my Linux laptop for a while now. And I am very excited!!

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=39484

https://github.com/ferion11/LogosLinuxInstaller/releases

Watch the video on the github page helps a great deal!

Jared

Posts 185
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2021 2:09 PM

Glad it's working for you, Jared! I'm on my second attempt at installing it... (and you can see the issues I faced a few pages back in this thread when I first tried the "fast install" script). I followed along with the video step-by-step, but even creating a shortcut doesn't work for me -- at least I don't find anything in the Start menu... :-( There is a Logos item in /.local/share/applications, but I don't know how to move that to the start menu. <sigh> And I tried moving my 20+ GB of /Data, /Documents, and /Users files to avoid having to download them all again, but Logos just errors out on startup... So frustrating! There seems to be a high level of Linux savvy to get this to work -- a level I obviously don't enjoy. Oh well, off to try again; Logos is essential for my work, so I've got to get it figured out...

Posts 21
Jared A Warner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2021 2:14 PM

I tried it 3 different ways. Then when I watched the video and installed it exactly like it did on the video it finally worked. I'm not very savvy on Linux but want to be.

Posts 185
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2021 2:21 PM

Just wondering which version of Wine you used, Jared? I have been selecting the first, default option to use native Wine; when the first "Question" screen pops up, I can see in the terminal behind that it's using wine-5.0 (the first time I ran the fast installer, I didn't have Wine installed, so it ended and told me to install it. I used Synaptic Package Manager to do so, and I guess 5.0 is what it installed...). But now I'm wondering if I should be using the Wine 6.5 option to install?

Posts 185
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2021 2:31 PM

I decided not to try to copy my data from a perfectly working and up to date version of Logos 9 running on my old computer. Instead, this time I just bit the bullet and told Logos to download everything (21 GB). It got through Step 1, but as soon as Step 2 started (0% of ...), Logos errored out...

I'm really not sure what else to try. Definitely open to suggestions!

Posts 21
Jared A Warner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2021 2:39 PM

I did do an update on. Wine. 

Did you do the:

chmod +x fast_install_AppImageWine_and_Logos.sh 

I think that was one I was overlooking too.

Posts 21
Jared A Warner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2021 2:47 PM

I did the minimal installation initially. You can always download the resources as you need them later. 

I hope you get it to work. I love logos, but I do not care as much for the web app, so I was switching back and forth from computers. I have been. Attempting to find a way to do this for 3 years, gave up for a while but figured with all the work Steam has put I to the games I though surely there is something new. 👍 

Posts 185
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2021 2:47 PM

Yes, I did the "chmod +x" line. That made the "fast_install_etc" file show up green when I ran the "ls" command on the Downloads directory. I guess that 'approves' it somehow?

Anyway, I selected the Wine 6.5 option on my last attempt and it's currently downloading resources -- 8% of 12.2 GB. I guess it's going to do it in multiple chunks. I'm a bit bummed that you can't copy what's already been downloaded from one machine to another, but I guess if it downloads it will be good.

Posts 21
Jared A Warner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2021 2:50 PM

It took a while for it to get everything loaded... but it sounds like you are heading in the right direction.

Posts 185
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2021 6:03 PM

Resources are downloaded and indexed, but I'm left feeling like things are 'broken' under the hood... For example, I created a shortcut with the ./Logos.sh shortcut command. One was created in /.local/share/applications. I copied this to the desktop and it worked -- once... Well, it still launches Logos, but the icon has changed from the blue cross to a bland earmarked-white-page-with-four-lines. I tried changing it back by using right-click, Properties, but I can't find the graphic in the lists and lists of icons. <sigh> I was hoping a fresh install would have gone better... :-\

Posts 21
Jared A Warner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2021 6:06 PM

I just made a keyboard short cut. I hit ctrl-l and it opens. I like a very few things on my desktop haha 😄 

Glad you were able to get it going. 

Posts 185
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2021 6:09 PM

I only put it on my desktop because I couldn't figure out where else to put it! Believe me, I like a clean desktop as well. But the launcher is not in the Start menu -- anywhere! -- and I can't move the desktop shortcut to the task bar. Like I said, something seems broken... :-(

Posts 21
Jared A Warner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2021 6:14 PM

That is strange. 

This is what I typed in to make my keyboard shortcut:

./LogosBible_Linux_P/Logos.sh

Then in the short cut option: ctrl-l

(Since super-l is log out)

Posts 1272
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 2 2021 1:51 AM

Try ./Logos.sh shortcut

It will make you a nice shortcut in the desktop menus with an icon etc.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 185
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 2 2021 7:04 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, John. That's what I tried a number of replies above, but as I said, it creates a shortcut in /.local/share/applications, but there's nothing in the Start menu or on the Desktop. I can drag and copy a shortcut from Files to the Desktop, but I can't figure out how to get one in the Start menu. Oh, and the icon has changed on the Desktop shortcut, and I don't know how to restore it. I've tried right-clicking the icon and going through Properties, but haven't had any success.

Posts 1
Gerald Winkel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 3 2021 5:50 AM

It would be wonderful having LOGOS on Liinux. I love LINUX and have attempted to set up the old LOGOS platform through WINE, unfortunately it crashed each time i tried to open another Bible or Commentary. Please push for LOGOS to wake up and integrate with LINUX. I hardly ever go onto Windows, therefore i use eSword which works well through WINE, but i do miss using LOGOS. God bless all your hard and loyal work at LINUX.

Posts 21
Jared A Warner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 3 2021 5:53 AM

https://github.com/ferion11/LogosLinuxInstaller/releases

Gerald you can get it to work fairly well now!

Page 62 of 72 (1428 items) « First ... < Previous 60 61 62 63 64 Next > ... Last » | RSS