Linux version of Logos Bible Software

Page 69 of 72 (1422 items) « First ... < Previous 67 68 69 70 71 Next > ... Last »
This post has 1,421 Replies | 66 Followers

Posts 60
Meeshell Biblestudy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2022 7:48 AM

Michael Lindner:

I am loath to support companies like MS that publicly and adamantly attack Christian morality and life. Yes, it's almost impossible not to these days, but it can't happen without alternatives.

FL, of course, is a business and must support its users and make money for its employees, but they have been great in helping people get going with WINE and I, for one, would welcome a Linux native version, if only to have one less reason to need Apple or MS products.

If Microsoft crashes, lets say in a cyber attack from Russia (wild guess here), then any company depending on that software to make money, will have NO BOTTOM LINE at all.  So maybe the wise thing is to have a native linux version as a backup for it.  AGAIN, I'm totally guessing here.  Absolutely nothing will probably crash at all. ;)

Jesus was born of a VIRGIN, as it is written in the LXX, testified in the NT Matthew 1:23

Isaiah 7:14 (Brenton LXX En)

Wink

Posts 35783
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2022 1:15 PM

Michael Lindner:
I am loath to support companies like MS that publicly and adamantly attack Christian morality and life.

Unneeded and untrue. Given my profession and friends I have reason to know.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1271
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2022 3:13 PM

It’s worth looking at and understanding wine. Wine works very well, there are bugs but that is true on any system. When Logos is built with .NET 6 I think we will have a giant step forward. (Probably a brief step back first) We may even get a good result on arm too!

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 60
Meeshell Biblestudy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2022 3:19 PM

John Goodman:

It’s worth looking at and understanding wine. Wine works very well, there are bugs but that is true on any system. When Logos is built with .NET 6 I think we will have a giant step forward. (Probably a brief step back first) We may even get a good result on arm too!

can Wine be used with Zorin? Is there a step by step process to follow?

Jesus was born of a VIRGIN, as it is written in the LXX, testified in the NT Matthew 1:23

Isaiah 7:14 (Brenton LXX En)

Wink

Posts 1271
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2022 7:02 AM

Yes it works with Zorin

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 969
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 25 2022 3:08 PM

I just installed Logos using Daniel's script and it installed version 9.7.0.0025, but the current version in Windows is 9.12.0.0017. Why isn't the most current version installing? 

Edit: In addition, after trying to copy over my data, users, and documents folders into my new installation, I received an error message stating that the resources and documents are not compatible with the version of Logos that was installed. In this case, the folders came from my Windows 9.12.0.0017 install. So, I am starting over and trying to replace these folders with a 9.7.9.0025 Logos installation I had in a VM on my desktop machine.

Posts 1271
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2022 1:52 AM

You can install the latest version, I think the script defaults to an older version because of a bug which was introduced afterwards. The choice is use an older version or double click menus instead of single click. Obviously we hope to get the menus back to a single click but the change was on the Logos side which means wine needs to catch up. Because it isn't technically a 'regression' wine will take a little while to get round to addressing the issue. Alternatively you can turn off local window manager decorations etc in wine config and you'll get back the correct function I believe.

Posts 969
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2022 7:04 AM

John,

Is it possible to install the newest version using the ferion appimage script? If so, how?

Posts 1271
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2022 7:08 AM

Yes, just change the version number at the top of the script. It only appears once.

Posts 28
James Bernard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 30 2022 5:05 AM

Greetings,

Haven't been here for a while as everything was working well!

Now I have a logos crash on a new install.

Using the github script, I've tried fast install and slow install using local wine64 (version 7.0) appimages don't run (still working out why lol!) System is Gnu-Guix Linux with non-free files.

Basiclly is a "0074:err:virtual:virtual_setup_exception stack overflow 1232 bytes in thread 0074 addr 0x7f6f06f78758 stack 0xc80b30 (0xc80000-0xc81000-0xd80000)".

I have the backtrace 2235.backtrace.txt

Any help/hints please

Posts 1271
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 30 2022 5:36 AM

If you can replicate the crash then please post it as a bug on winehq together with the terminal log. The backtrace is less likely to be helpful. Then share a link to your bug and we'll try to get it sorted.

Posts 28
James Bernard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 30 2022 5:48 AM

Thank you John.

The terminal log, is that just the "copy and paste" from when it errors?

I'll post it tomorrow as it's late here.

Posts 1271
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 30 2022 6:27 AM

For the terminal log: launch logos in a terminal not with a shortcut. E.g. Logos.sh or wine64 /path/to/logos.exe

Then in your terminal app e.g. konsole, save the terminal output to a text file and include attach it to the bug report. Don't cut and paste as the dev's like to keep messages separate from logs.

thanks

Posts 28
James Bernard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 30 2022 11:22 PM

Here's the link to the bug report.

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=52943

If you need any more info, happy to provide, and test and help where I can :)

Thank you

Posts 1271
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 5 2022 8:19 AM

Thanks, I've connected that on wine appdb and we'll do our best to figure it out.

Posts 738
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 5 2022 8:32 AM

Seems to be a lot of errors in that log... Makes me wonder if dotnet48 installed correctly. I'd probably start there myself. But I'm also viewing it on my phone screen...

Posts 738
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 5 2022 8:32 AM

Seems to be a lot of errors in that log... Makes me wonder if dotnet48 installed correctly. I'd probably start there myself. But I'm also viewing it on my phone screen...

Posts 1
Gabriel J Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 5 2022 12:46 PM

Hi there! I'm new to Linux and Zorin and in the process of divorcing WIndows. I also use Logos BS (v.9) regularly. Could you kindly point me to documentation that give detailed instructions on how to install and maintain Logos BS on the Zorin distro. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance. God bless.   

Posts 969
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 6 2022 12:02 AM

Gabriel, welcome to the Faithlife forums.

Here is the link to the developer’s GitHub site that uses an app image to install Logos using wine: https://github.com/ferion11/LogosLinuxInstaller 

We don’t know your proficiency in working with Linux, so you’ll need to reach out here if you need help..

Posts 28
James Bernard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 6 2022 6:03 AM

I have Logos running fine on other Linuxes, and tried copying it over and have the same result. It maybe due to permissions on the Guix Linux system. I'm still investigating that as appimages will not run either!

Page 69 of 72 (1422 items) « First ... < Previous 67 68 69 70 71 Next > ... Last » | RSS