Linux version of Logos Bible Software

Page 71 of 72 (1428 items) « First ... < Previous 68 69 70 71 72 Next >
This post has 1,427 Replies | 66 Followers

Posts 738
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 15 2022 5:00 PM

Pending is a temporary folder

Dean Chia:

If you didn't open Logos yet after install, LogosIndexer.exe might be in a folder named Pending

Posts 10
Dean Chia | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 15 2022 5:42 PM

Yes, I realized that. Sorry! I was going to delete the comment but I wasn't sure how to. On another note, I tried installing Logos 9.13 and manually setting everything per your instructions. For some reason I can't find wine 7.0, so I had to use wine-devel=7.8~jammy-1 for my Pop_OS (Ubuntu) 22.04. I couldn't even get the LogosSetup.exe to work, so I had to follow WineHQ instructions to manually add Microsoft dotNet 4.0 (in XP) then dotNet 4.7.2/4.8. Eventually I got it installed, then I switched the indexer to Vista. I even used (per WineHQ instructions) the Library exception to use mscoree -> native rather than built-in. However, after doing all the initial work, when I tried starting up the actual Logos.exe, it couldn't on account of the mscoree.dll not being found! Terminal output/wine debug: 1362.logosManualDump.txt

Looks like I'm going to have to try ferion11 script one more time w/ Logos 9.13 MSI, though last time it didn't work. Thank you all for your tireless work! I'll probably make do with the web app for now.

Posts 10
Dean Chia | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 15 2022 6:42 PM

Just an update: The Ferion Script (v.2.39) has Logos9.13. I did do a Custom install -> deselected automatic updates just in case. And did a Quick install instead of download everything. I am happy to say Logos Desktop app is working again! So Paul, it may be time for a full reinstall. :) It finally worked for me!

Posts 35813
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 15 2022 10:53 PM

Likely spam?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 738
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2022 6:37 AM

That or some form of modern day "true" Israelite views???

MJ. Smith:

Likely spam?

Posts 1271
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2022 6:44 AM

Written by a spam ai?

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 185
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 24 2022 8:46 AM

Question: is there a way to use different versions of Wine for different programs?

A few weeks ago Logos stopped working for me, and the advice here (after a failed attempt to do an 'update') was to do a complete install using Wine 7. I also use PDFXChange Editor in Wine. I have only gotten it to work using PlayonLinux; settings show that it uses the 'system' version of Wine, which is 5.0-3ubuntu1 (per Synaptic Package Manager). Synaptic isn't showing an update available for my 'system' version of Wine, so it seems I'll have to download and install it from the Wine site. But I'd hate to mess up PDFXChange Editor, which is working fine. Can someone offer me some advice / instructions on a way forward? I'd sure appreciate it!

Posts 77
Rik Shaw | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 24 2022 12:19 PM

Paul and others,

If you are on Ubuntu 20.04 / Wasta-Linux 20.04 I would suggest staying with the "Wasta-Logos" method, it keeps its version of wine isolated by using "Wasta-Wine" and, in my opinion (as the creator of Wasta-Linux and the Wasta-Logos-Setup method so YMMV Big Smile) is a very good "stable" way to use Logos in Linux, especially if you are not an "enthusiast" willing and eager to tinker and debug more cutting-edge versions of Logos or Wine. I don't release new Logos or Wasta-Wine versions until they are confirmed to not introduce regressions. Currently this means Logos version 9.9.x and Wine version 7.0.x

Wasta-Wine will not touch your existing Wine / PlayonLinux / etc. configurations or installs. Also the Wasta-Logos method will install your Logos configuration, resources, etc. to ~/.logos-data so that any re-installs, etc. will not lose your downloaded resources.

Here again is the guide for using Wasta-Logos-Setup (again only for Ubuntu-based LTS and derivatives such as Linux Mint, ZorinOS, elementaryOS, Pop!_OS, etc.)

The "script / AppImage" method is also a good way to go, but as you are noting there are sometimes that updates / etc. may introduce some regressions.

Posts 10
Dean Chia | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 24 2022 12:26 PM

Just in case people don't like digging for links, the "script /AppImage" route is https://github.com/ferion11/LogosLinuxInstaller

The most recent version works! And it isolates one wine "bottle" to just Linux and does not use a new wine version if you choose to use the prepackaged 6.5 App Image. It won't touch your other wine apps nor will it require you install wine beforehand. 

Posts 185
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 24 2022 1:12 PM

Thanks Rik, I'll give that a try. Stable sounds nice.

Q: I have a folder of resources in /home/username/LogosBible_Linux_P_old/data/wine64_bottle/drive_c/users/username/Local Settings/Application Data/Logos/Data/random_string/ResourceManager/Resources. Can they be copied to /.logos-data? If so, at what level of the folder tree should I copy them over? And at what point in the installation process should I do it?

Oh, and it looks like the link to the "Wasta-Logos-Setup" method you tried to point to didn't come through. It's:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EiFjlONDHKmvJNJPSfcCk2MBVe_0bxKXPslXbC831Gc

Posts 185
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 24 2022 2:00 PM

Currently indexing.Yes And my other wine program still works. Many thanks!

For the record, I copied the individual files from /LogosBible_Linux_P_old/.../Data/random_string/ResourceManager/Resources to /.logos-data/Data/random_string/ResourceManager/Resources after Logos installed and before I clicked OK on the window inviting me to download all the resources. Books are opening, so it seems to have worked.

Posts 9
Rev. Steven Poelman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 1 2022 1:49 PM

Does this mean I should not try the Wasta-Logos method for the Debian version of MINT OS?

Posts 1271
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 3 2022 10:55 AM

Rev. Steven Poelman:

Does this mean I should not try the Wasta-Logos method for the Debian version of MINT OS?

My guess is that it would work but I'm not certain. Otherwise use the ferion script.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 22
Kevin Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2022 2:36 PM

Running a Linux Mint 20.3 - Una, - Xfce 4.16 System.

I've been using Logos 9 from the Fast Install Appimg script (Probably v.2.23) on this system without any problems since about 3-2021.

It stopped working for me about 4-6 weeks ago. It will load the app windows then crashes. I can't interact with them at all. (I have tried to prevent updates within the Logos program but assume something changed there (or poss a system update) that causes it to fail.)

Since then, I have tried to do a fresh install using the current 2.39 Fast Install appimg script several times with exactly the same result. (Tried at least 6 times and re-downloaded the script twice). I tried the Wasta install and the program fails to boot. I've run the removeallIndex after installing the appimg, Als./.o tried installing with and without downloading my resources and the result has been the same. I tried downloading and installing the 2.37 Fast Install appimg just to see if an earlier version would help, but this locked up my system entirely and I had to power off the computer to gain control.

I'm at a loss here. I will attach the terminal output for my most recent attempt to run the 2.39 Appimg.

Any help would be appreciated.

Blessings! - Kevin

Terminal Output:

7450.Logos Install Script Terminal Output.txt

Backtrace:

4403.backtrace.txt

Posts 738
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2022 4:59 PM

A quick look at the logs seems to point to you running Logos 9.13 on Wine Staging 6.5....

There are a number of errors in there - I personally only run straight installs, so I'm not overly familiar with the AppImg process.

I would say Wine Staging 6.5 is outdated and missing a lot of work that has improved app performance overall.

My personal recommendation would be to back up the Data, Documents and Users folders - then do a fresh install of the current Wine-Devel or Wine-Staging. Then follow the standard Logos install directions - at least that will get you up to date with currently the best performance on recent versions of Logos 9.

Kevin Moore:

Running a Linux Mint 20.3 - Una, - Xfce 4.16 System.

I've been using Logos 9 from the Fast Install Appimg script (Probably v.2.23) on this system without any problems since about 3-2021.

It stopped working for me about 4-6 weeks ago. It will load the app windows then crashes. I can't interact with them at all. (I have tried to prevent updates within the Logos program but assume something changed there (or poss a system update) that causes it to fail.)

Since then, I have tried to do a fresh install using the current 2.39 Fast Install appimg script several times with exactly the same result. (Tried at least 6 times and re-downloaded the script twice). I tried the Wasta install and the program fails to boot. I've run the removeallIndex after installing the appimg, Als./.o tried installing with and without downloading my resources and the result has been the same. I tried downloading and installing the 2.37 Fast Install appimg just to see if an earlier version would help, but this locked up my system entirely and I had to power off the computer to gain control.

I'm at a loss here. I will attach the terminal output for my most recent attempt to run the 2.39 Appimg.

Any help would be appreciated.

Blessings! - Kevin

Terminal Output:

7450.Logos Install Script Terminal Output.txt

Backtrace:

4403.backtrace.txt

Posts 22
Kevin Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2022 5:54 PM

Thanks. I will try using the current Wine-Staging .

Posts 22
Kevin Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 10 2022 8:36 PM

Thanks Frank,

That installed and seems to run flawlessly.

Posts 8
James Bernard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 23 2022 7:59 PM

Am I right in thinking that if I want to run this on Arm architecture (eg. Raspberry Pi) I'll have to run it through an emulation layer?

Posts 23
Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 23 2022 8:04 PM

Yes. See:

https://github.com/ferion11/LogosLinuxInstaller/wiki/Logos-On-ARM-AARCH64-Linux

Most recent attempts were not successful.

Posts 8
James Bernard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 23 2022 11:28 PM

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Page 71 of 72 (1428 items) « First ... < Previous 68 69 70 71 72 Next > | RSS