Physical Health of Large Library Holders

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 237
C M | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 5 2016 10:46 PM

Large Library Users,

After investing so much money into the Logos Bible Software System, one is inclined to use it. How does one do so and remain healthy? What can one do to get the most out of the system and yet, maintain optimum health; that is, physically and mentally? Last year’s thread on Book-a-holics made some references to this topic, but not to the extent of having a large library, getting the most out of it and keeping in good shape too. Is it possible? Or, is an increased waist-size is the price one pays for a large library and for a head-full of knowledge?

Posts 32535
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2016 10:50 PM

4428.LifeSpan-Fitness-Standing-Desk-Treadmill-TR800-DT3-LPS1036.html

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2016 11:52 PM

Charles McNeil:

Large Library Users,

After investing so much money into the Logos Bible Software System, one is inclined to use it. How does one do so and remain healthy? What can one do to get the most out of the system and yet, maintain optimum health; that is, physically and mentally? Last year’s thread on Book-a-holics made some references to this topic, but not to the extent of having a large library, getting the most out of it and keeping in good shape too. Is it possible? Or, is an increased waist-size is the price one pays for a large library and for a head-full of knowledge?

Get a dog and walk it regularly (not just to the nearest tree or bush).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 29475
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2016 4:45 AM

Learn to bench press your laptop:

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3304
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2016 5:13 AM

Golf, walking, active employement, oh, did I mention Golf Wink

Posts 176
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2016 5:39 AM

I've noted a general tendency for pastors of age to be large and have wondered if their devotion to the flock limited the time devoted to their own health.

It could be argued that the larger the library, the less time is needed to search their library and the more time they could spend dealing with their health. Could FaithLife market its use as a health benefit? I doubt it.

On the other hand, I'd bet those who purchased the 500 volume Mega-deal over the holidays probably gained a few pounds as well... but was this due to over-indulgance in their purchase or over indulgance in holiday eatting?

Posts 1083
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2016 6:05 AM

I gained a lot of weight in 2015 for many reasons, one of them being neglecting exercise for things like Christian studies. My commitment in 2016 is to do a portion of my reading while walking on a treadmill. 2 miles ~= 30 minutes, which is good for physical and mental health.

Posts 8143
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2016 6:09 AM

I do cardio and just part time ministry.  When people asked me how did I manage to drop so much weight (30 lbs.) and look this good?  I say to them, " I quit being a full-time minister" and they laugh.   As a full-time minister you have to force yourself to walk or do some kind of exercise  besides being in the office.  Get out, do visitation, do some door-knocking  evangelism, not just office.  Having a large digital library shouldn't keep you sitting longer in your office,  The  software  is supposed to help you cut the preparation time of your lessons so you can have time to do other stuff,  so I'm not sure what does having a large library have to do with staying healthy unless you're  talking about the addiction  of buying too many books  just for the sake of the bigger the library the better.  If you are taking longer to prepare your lessons then the software is not really helping you and something is wrong with you and you should learn to use it more efficiently.

DAL

Posts 8143
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2016 6:27 AM

By the way I don't play golf because they're always hiring "hookers" in golf clubs LOL  

i'm sure hookers means something else in the golf world hehe

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2016 6:29 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:

Many years ago I worked on a golf course for the summer.  I remember one guy who dressed completely, head to toe, in tartan.  The thing is that each piece of clothing was a DIFFERENT tartan which gave the whole affair a rather strange appearance.  On one hole he made a bad shot and I thought he was going to wrap his club around a tree he was so angry.  I thought golf was supposed to be a pleasurable experience so I resolved then and there to never play golf.  As I approach 39 on my next birthday (Ahem !), I have never broken my resolve on that matter.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2016 6:31 AM

Rob:
On the other hand, I'd bet those who purchased the 500 volume Mega-deal over the holidays probably gained a few puunds as well..

If they're in Britain, I imagine they lost a few pounds (sterling).  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

Posts 1645
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2016 6:56 AM

George Somsel:

-10 Fahrenheit here now and 6 hours daylight, maybe I prefer some extra pounds.

The treadmill might be ok., but it means fewer books.

How about golf, there is a golf course near our house, although currently snow covered. But after checking the video of Chaplin I am not sure:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNebJ938Nqk 

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2016 6:59 AM

Veli Voipio:
-10 Fahrenheit here now and 6 hours daylight, maybe I prefer some extra pounds.

Wimp !  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

Posts 3304
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2016 7:12 AM

George Somsel:

Whyndell Grizzard:

Many years ago I worked on a golf course for the summer.  I remember one guy who dressed completely, head to toe, in tartan.  The thing is that each piece of clothing was a DIFFERENT tartan which gave the whole affair a rather strange appearance.  On one hole he made a bad shot and I thought he was going to wrap his club around a tree he was so angry.  I thought golf was supposed to be a pleasurable experience so I resolved then and there to never play golf.  As I approach 39 on my next birthday (Ahem !), I have never broken my resolve on that matter.

Golf can be frustrating- but it is good exercise- most courses if you walk are approx. 3-4 miles-not to mention the use of your upper body, legs, etc. but mentally is a great way to get out- fun is not a sin- nor is thinking about something other than the Bible. Love Him, love the life He has given us.

Posts 3304
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2016 7:13 AM

By the way I hunt, fish, and do "honey do" list (the most exhausting chore of all).

Posts 237
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2016 8:33 AM

MJ. Smith:

Thanks, MJ,

What a novel idea? Having your cake, eating it, reading and exercising too. Maybe, Bob should work out the pricing and include the treadmill and table for the new purchasers of the Collector's Edition. Big Smile

Posts 237
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2016 8:53 AM

George Somsel:

George,

I guess this could help when it comes to meditating upon what was studied. One may find a change of pace and focus, except for the pick-up after the dog (city ordinance).

Posts 237
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2016 9:27 AM

Rob:
t could be argued that the larger the library, the less time is needed to search their library and the more time they could spend dealing with their health. Could FaithLife market its use as a health benefit? I doubt it.

I agree, FaithLife "couldn't market its software as a "health benefit."  Having a large library, saving time and individual skills, can a correlation be made here?  At least, not in the short term. Maybe, over time, yes. The variables are too many in the beginning.

I don't want to date myself, but saving time was use for the necessity of stoves (electric/gas), micro-wave ovens, washing machines, dryers, slicers, bullet mixers and train (yet to come to USA), cars, tractor, etc. All these things and there still seems not to be enough time to get everything done. What's next?

Posts 237
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2016 9:48 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:
do "honey do" list (the most exhausting chore of all).

Yes, indeed! Especially, if you live on a farm or have a lot of grass to cut. I can see the list: Clean the gutters, rake the leaves, wash the car, fix the fence, replace the curtains, build a tree house, clean the garage, etc. Not complaining, just keeping in health, keeping honey happy, and securing her understanding of why I need to buy more books.Wink

Posts 3304
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2016 10:06 AM

Charles- you got it Bro!!!

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS