Clickable Link

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 394
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 12 2016 12:52 PM

I think there is a "rocket science" way to transform a URL link to a Logos 6 resource (logos4:Notes;title=$CE$BB$CE$B5$CE$B9$CF$84$CE$BF$CF$85$CF$81$CE$B3$E1$BD$B7$CE$B1_Word_Study) into a clickable link in an external program. I want to place this link in a plain text file so that I can access it later. Can someone direct me to the changes I need to make so that an external program can call up the resource?

Thanks.

Posts 1181
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2016 1:06 PM

You can't do it in a plain text file. You need software, like Microsoft Word, that allows you to insert a link. On the forums, you click the chain. On Word 2016, you click "Insert" and then "Hyperlink," the globe with the chain. Put the URL into the URL slot.

Example

Posts 394
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2016 1:12 PM

Noooooooo! Say it ain't so! Word (or any heavy weight word processor) is what I'm trying to avoid. 

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2016 1:13 PM

Clint,

As Justin pointed out, a plain text file will not provide a linkable solution.

You can learn to create an HTML file which is plain text (i.e. a simple Webpage) to navigate to links in Logos.

For instance i built a simple one here:  Click to open this example webpage
It has 2 links, the first one is to the link in your post, the second to the KJV Bible to John 1:1

EDIT:

below shows the plain text which is in HTML format. Most if not all browsers should work with it.
(click on the image below to view full size)

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 394
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2016 1:14 PM

The competing program does it easily.....no rocket science there. Grumble grumble.

Posts 394
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2016 1:17 PM

Thank you Steve and Justin, I appreciate your help (even if it wasn't the answer I was hoping for).

Posts 12634
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2016 1:26 PM

Clint Cozier:
I want to place this link in a plain text file so that I can access it later.

plain text files can't automatically invoke other applications - but you can copy the URL link from there into your browser URL adress field

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 394
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2016 1:34 PM

I can call up a resource in a plain text file using the competing product's location URL scheme. "Why not just use that product" is the obvious question, and the answer is how deeply I'm invested in the Logos ecosystem. I just wanna use plain text.

Thanks.

Posts 12634
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2016 1:39 PM

Clint Cozier:
I can call up a resource in a plain text file using the competing product's location URL scheme.

how so? plain text is plain text. If the other sw (no idea which one you're talking about) uses a link looking like http://x.y and thus giving you a right-click option open with <favorite browser> - this you can have with a Logos scheme originally intended for OS-challenged users.

EDIT: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/66752.aspx 

Let my find the thread and edit my post.  

Posts 394
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2016 1:43 PM

Here is an example of an Accordance link that can call up the Accordance resource from a plain text file:

accord://read/GNT28-T#1John_4:12

Works like a charm. I've got to believe that the same thing is possible in Logos.

Posts 12634
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2016 1:49 PM

Clint Cozier:
accord://read/GNT28-T#1John_4:12

I have no idea how such a thing would open anything from a plain text file (and if this works, logos4: or logosres: should be able to make working just the same, some tricks with registering COM somethings or so I have no real clue about) - but I see you are the last poster in the thread I linked above. The ref.ly-version should work.

Posts 394
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2016 1:54 PM

Winner winner chicken dinner! Yep....the ref.ly link works from a plain text file. I'm a happy camper.....now to find a way to automate the URL transformation a bit. Thanks so much!

Posts 2582
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2016 2:19 PM

What kind of software are you wanting to use to create this link?

Posts 1181
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 13 2016 4:37 AM

Gao Lu:

What kind of software are you wanting to use to create this link?

I am curious about this.  We must have different definitions of "pain text, " which by my book can't include links (a .txt file opened in notepad), because of the text is linked,  it is no longer "plain."

Posts 36360
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 13 2016 10:02 AM

I think a .txt file (as opposed to a .docx file) is what is meant by plain text.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 12634
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 13 2016 10:15 AM

MJ. Smith:

I think a .txt file (as opposed to a .docx file) is what is meant by plain text.

The point is that the editor software needs to be provide the functionality for detection and usage of hyperlinks, since in the .txt file are only characters. Different editors may detect different things (e.g. we know that the Logos forum editor detects http-links in the text, but not logos4/logosres-links) 

Posts 394
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 13 2016 11:52 AM

All my notes are .txt files, but I use DevonThink to search and open them. Opened from within DevonThink, the links in txt files are clickable. 

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS