Books written or edited by Rama P. Coomaraswamy

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 623
JAL | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 16 2016 9:53 PM

What if all the books available through Amazon .....

Books written or edited by Rama P. Coomaraswamy

I would prefer to purchase these in a format compatible with the Faithlife library applications.

"The Christian mind is the prerequisite of Christian thinking. And Christian thinking is the prerequisite of Christian action." - Harry Blamires, 1963

Posts 33475
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2016 10:19 PM

I'm a little surprised to see these two books requested together. The first, by Rama P. Coomaraswami, represents an anti-Vatican II conservative Catholic book. The second, by Rama's father Ananda, represents a Hindu art historian of the perennial philosophy persuasion. I agree Logos editions would be nice but ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 623
JAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2016 11:37 PM

MJ. Smith:
I'm a little surprised to see these two books requested together.

I am suggesting both and they are from the same publisher and Rama P. Coomaraswami wrote one and edited the other, thus I suggested them together.

I fancy the father's ideas may bear upon the son's in interesting ways.

In The Destruction of the Christian Tradition frequent citation is made to many works already available in Verbum\Logos libraries.

The father's writings might be worthwhile reading alongside The Sacred Books of the East (50 vols.) and Sacred Books and Early Literature of the East (14 vols.). What I have read by Ananda K. Coomaraswamy has been worthwhile to me.

Here is a listing of the table of contents for The Essential Ananda K. Coomaraswamy.

List of Color and Black-and-White Illustrations 
List of Abbreviations 

Foreword by Arvind Sharma 
Introduction by Rama P. Coomaraswamy 
Prologue: A Fateful Meeting of Minds: A. K. Coomaraswamy
and R. Guénon by Marco Pallis 
1. A Figure of Speech or a Figure of Thought? 
2. The Bugbear of Literacy 
3. On the Pertinence of Philosophy 
4. Eastern Wisdom and Western Knowledge 
5. Beauty and Truth 
6. The Interpretation of Symbols 
7. Why Exhibit Works of Art? 
8. The Christian and Oriental, or True, Philosophy of Art 
9. Is Art a Superstition, or a Way of Life? 
10. The Nature of Medieval Art 
11. Ars sine scientia nihil 
12. Imitation, Expression, and Participation 
13. Samvega: “Aesthetic Shock” 
14. What is Civilization? 
15. The Nature of “Folklore” and “Popular Art” 
16. Primitive Mentality 
17. The Coming to Birth of the Spirit 
18. Quod factum est in ipso vita erat 
19. The Hindu Tradition: The Myth 
20. The Hindu Tradition: Theology and Autology 
Glossary of Foreign Terms and Phrases 
Bibliographical References 
Biographical Notes 
Index 

"The Christian mind is the prerequisite of Christian thinking. And Christian thinking is the prerequisite of Christian action." - Harry Blamires, 1963

Posts 33475
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 17 2016 12:41 AM

The father's writings are well worth reading - I have used his works for many papers. I was just  unsure that you intended to include him in your suggestion.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 623
JAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 17 2016 1:14 AM

I am interested to give Rama P. Coomaraswamy's criticisms of post-Counciliar Catholicism fair consideration.

Since he cites so many sources already in my library a proper Logos Edition would be ideal.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS