Church History Collection

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 487
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 21 2016 9:10 AM

I want to create a church history collection.  Do you have any suggestions for the rule to create a useful collection?

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 21 2016 9:50 AM

A relatively simple one that does a pretty good job is:

subject:("church history", reformation, "doctrines--history", "history of doctrines", "doctrinal--history", "early church")

You can leave out the history of doctrines stuff if you don't want that.

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 21 2016 10:05 AM

The rule I use is:

subject:("church history","reformation")  OR  mytag:("church history","christian biography") OR (type:(dictionary,encyclopedia) AND subject:christianity) OR (subject:biography ANDNOT subject:("Jesus Christ--biography","bible--biography","apostles--biography"))

This rule includes
- biographic works (excluding bios of those in the Bible)  -- this assumes all the bio. works in my library are Christian, which holds true for now.
- church history encyclopedias like the Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church
- works that I've manually tagged because they were missing proper subject tagging

But it doesn't include doctrinal history because I have a separate collection for that.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 487
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 21 2016 10:40 AM

Thank you for your suggestions.  Much appreciated.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 29 2016 8:24 AM

Mark Barnes:

A relatively simple one that does a pretty good job is:

subject:("church history", reformation, "doctrines--history", "history of doctrines", "doctrinal--history", "early church")

More complex Church History collection rule that includes history of doctrines:

(Subject:(Biography,Early,History,Reformation),Title:(Histor,Mennonite,Refomation,Walden)) AND (Subject:(Baptists,Calvin,Church,Cranmer,Confession,Doctrine,Mennonite,Reformation,Tyndale,Waldenses,Wycliffe),Title:(Church,Doctrine,Magazine))

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS