Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 28
Jodi Denning | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 5 2016 11:58 AM

Hi,

I had a Libronix library I used for reference.  Windows 10 required me to update to Logos, which downloaded and installed without a problem, and all of the items from my Libronix library appear to be there.

My question is this - I am going through the videos and my "base system" is not working like the one in the video.  For example, if I click on a word, the "Information" for that word is nearly all empty.  If I try using the Factbook, there is nothing there.  Same for BIble Word Study.

Is there something else I need to install?

Thank you,

Jodi

Posts 510
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2016 12:07 PM

Welcome to the Forums!  I got my Logos start on Libronix for Mac years ago.  The current version Logos is lightyears ahead (IMHO).

Factbook, the information panel, and other tools are all populated by the number or resources (books) you have in your library.  The more resources you have, the more information these tools have to pull from.

Couple questions:

• What version are you using of Logos and have you logged in to your account?  
  • Have you purchased a "Base Package"? Or maybe this question might be better, what resources did you access regularly on Libronix that you are looking for in your updated Logos software?

My initial thoughts are that you may need to download your resources or they may need to properly index (which could take some time) before the software can properly find the information to populate your Factbook, etc.

Maybe someone else who has more knowledge could chime in as well?

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 9297
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2016 12:10 PM

Jodi, welcome to Logos 6. 

Many features in Logos 6 require underlying datasets and resources. You may be seeing the effect of that. Purchasing one of the Logos Crossgrade packages will help with that. You can see those on the main Logos web site.

Logos needs to complete indexing before some features work, as well. Is it possible Logos is still doing its initial indexing?

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 28
Jodi Denning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2016 12:15 PM

I am pretty sure the indexing is complete... but I'm not sure how to tell if it is or not...

Posts 28
Jodi Denning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2016 12:18 PM

My resources appear in my library.  I originally purchased the Libronix MacArthur Lifeworks Library on CD, and those are the resources I see in my library.  It includes a study Bible, commentaries, dictionaries, and a couple of Bible translations.  They are all there, and the ones I checked open.

I guess I'm just surprised none of the other tools in Logos seem to work.

I have a tough decision to make, because I'm pretty heavily invested in add-on resources in e-Sword - another BIble study software.  Is there any outside chance it is possible to use resources purchased for e-Sword in Logos?

Posts 325
Sue McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2016 12:43 PM

Hi Jodi

I am not sure how much this will help, but there are some free resources that may give you some further limited functionality of your software.

Try downloading this free collection https://www.logos.com/product/55923/lexham-intro-collection 

You may be interested in some of the other free books that are also available. Take a look here https://www.logos.com/products/search?q=price%3a%5b0+TO+0%5d&start=0&sort=rel&pageSize=60 

Posts 9297
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2016 1:01 PM

Jodi Denning:
Is there any outside chance it is possible to use resources purchased for e-Sword in Logos?

I don't know how e-sword licensing works. Public domain books might be able to be used in Logos by using the Personal Book Builder tool. They would be very basic in their function if you went to the trouble to convert them.

Jodi Denning:
I guess I'm just surprised none of the other tools in Logos seem to work.

Search will work, basic Passage Guide and Word Study Guide should work with the resources you have. They won't return a lot of informtion because you have a fairly small library to work from. You should be able to do what you were able to do in Libronix at this point, and a bit more. You couldn't do that with Windows 10 without upgrading to Logos 6, and that was a free upgrade, so you are ahead, not behind. You don't have the datasets or resources to see all the features work.

The demo videos are being made with all features working, which requires either a Logos Gold level package (a lot of money) or the Feature Crossgrade which is also expensive.

Perhaps for your level of use and the price, you would be better off ignoring all the fancy Logos 6 possibilities and stick to the sorts of things you can do for free, and consider spending additional funds in resources you'd like to have in Logos.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 28
Jodi Denning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2016 1:02 PM

Thank you so much for these links.  that was super helpful, and I'm downloading the Lexham library and a few other resources now.  I appreciate your help!

Posts 325
Sue McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2016 1:04 PM

Jodi Denning:

I am pretty sure the indexing is complete... but I'm not sure how to tell if it is or not...

Take a look at the top right hand corner of your homepage. If a blue 'i' appears the software is generally busy doing something. If you hover the mouse over the 'i' it will give you more information about the process which is presently underway.

Here is a screenshot of mine just now with the the mouse over the blue 'i'. 

Posts 28
Jodi Denning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2016 1:04 PM

Thank you for your suggestions.  I look forward to learning more about Logos and learning to use it effectively.

Posts 510
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2016 1:09 PM

Don't forget the Free Book of the Month! To echo the earlier advice, there are numerous free resources you can download that may be helpful to see if you are ready to dive into the Logos ecosystem.

I agree with Mark, you can consider the Cross Grade Packages, as they would help you make more use of the different things Logos has to offer.  I went that route when upgrading to Logos 4 and then Logos 5.

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 9297
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 5 2016 6:24 PM

Richard Villanueva:
Don't forget the Free Book of the Month!

There are also periodic free books on Vyrso which is Logos' simplied e-book site. These books are not as well-tagged as Logos books, but free is free and they can be of help. Here is a link that will show you the free ones first.

David C. Cook frequently offers no-cost books for a day or two on Vyrso. Some are quite nice. One way to stay on top of these is to sign up for their email notifications. Click here to see where to sign up.

You may know that Logos has sales every month. There are other periodic sales. The next one coming up will be March Madness. It will be announced on the main Logos web site pretty soon, I imagine.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 28
Jodi Denning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2016 8:56 AM

Thank you!  The pointers to the resources are very appreciated.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS