Encyclopedia Help

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 6 2016 3:16 AM

After I try to "setting up a better Logos framework" I found out, that I just have one or two of the Encyclopedias he mentioned...

Could you help me fining out what are the Bests I nee to have for Logos?

Here is what I have

Posts 3659
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2016 3:51 AM

From a scholarly standpoint, I would suggest the Anchor Dictionary (alternatively, the New Interpreter's Dictionary). 

For a more popular yet extensive resource, the ISBE revised.

The IVP dictionaries (OT, e.g., Dictionary of the Pentateuch, NT, e.g., Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels, etc) are also very, very good resources.

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2016 4:09 AM

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2016 4:14 AM

are any of these in Bases?

Posts 2197
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2016 4:40 AM

Hi John,

The ISBE revised is in the Timeline and Factbook Feature Collections. They were just on sale, but are still a good value. You would also get Eerdman's  dictionaries if you do not already have them.

https://www.logos.com/product/49827/factbook-collection

The IVP Essentials Collection 3 is a great value and I think these are fantastic resources. You can add the OT dictionaries as well.

The Anchor Bible Dictionary is the scholarly standard. It is on sale for around $200 on occasion. ISBE is the most evangelical and Anchor is the least. Not that is always matters, but sometimes it is just good to know. They all 3 the best Bible dictionaries available. Having one in your library will be beneficial to you.

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2016 5:03 AM

Yes

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2016 5:58 AM

John Fidel:
The IVP Essentials Collection 3 is a great value and I think these are fantastic resources. You can add the OT dictionaries as well.

Anyone know what the historical best price has been on the OT volumes? The NT volumes can be gotten at a really good price as part of the collection John referenced, but getting a good price on the OT volumes seems more difficult. Probably buying them when they are discounted as an add-on with a base package?

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2016 7:00 AM

Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels, 2nd ed

Do I need also the First Edition?

Posts 2197
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2016 8:17 AM

Sascha John:

Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels, 2nd ed

Do I need also the First Edition?

I would spend the money on the IVP OT dictionaries instead.

Posts 623
JAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2016 10:17 AM

If you can afford them the IVP academic dictionaries are good. If you intend to use a payment plan contact sales and request a combined price for the following two collections - there are overlapping resources and a salesperson can apply Dynamic Pricing to the combined purchase.

At one time the IVP Reference Collection was my gold standard for resource tagging done well.

"The Christian mind is the prerequisite of Christian thinking. And Christian thinking is the prerequisite of Christian action." - Harry Blamires, 1963

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2016 8:45 PM

Thanks for your help :-)

Posts 3659
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2016 3:41 AM

With regard to the two editions of the Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels, I own both. Obviously common entries are updated in the newer edition (but sometimes reflect also different viewpoints). There are also entries in either dictionary that are not found in the other. For those who are keen on the most possible in Gospel studies, having both is nice. For others, and if one must choose, perhaps the benefits of the latest scholarship would favour investing in the second edition.

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2016 5:22 AM

Yes

Posts 3659
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2016 5:44 AM

Sasha, here is an example, using the indexed entries under "G" that illustrates some of the differences between the two editions. There are topics that are repackaged (put under another entry) but there are topics that were so in their own right that are no longer there as such in the 2nd edition and new topics in the 2nd as well.

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 8 2016 7:13 AM

thanks for showing thats help

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2016 7:47 PM

Just to let you know

Bought Factbook Collection and IVP Essential

still Money left for

either The IVP Bible Dictionary Series (8 vols.)

or Ancor Yale Bible Dictionary.

What do you think is better?

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2016 7:59 PM

Anchor without Doubt... I own those dictionaries and they are nice but Anchor is far more useful...

-Dan

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2016 8:03 PM

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS