help with outlines in personal books

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 68
James Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 6 2016 8:55 AM

I've made a document in MS Word using outline levels and created a personal book out of it. The good news was that the hierarchy of the outline was preserved in the PB table of contents, but the bad news was that the outline view in the book itself was not preserved, and all of the text was justified on the left side with no indentation of the text. This made it very difficult to grasp the flow of the outline without looking at the TOC, and making it in general hard to read.

Is there any way to preserve the outline view both in the TOC and in the main body of the PB?

I would be grateful for any solution to this.

Posts 10886
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2016 11:32 AM

I get this same fault when building a book in MS Word for Mac, but I have not tried it with Word for Windows. Unfortunately, this bug has existed through many updates of Logos. This fault exists with Word's default outline numbering and with any custom system. 

My work around is to select None in the Outline Format and then insert the numbers manually. An incredibly inefficient system, but it is the only thing I have found that works.

Posts 12485
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2016 1:34 PM

James Smith:

Is there any way to preserve the outline view both in the TOC and in the main body of the PB?

I would be grateful for any solution to this.

Sure, this is just a question of formatting the Heading styles in Word that reflect the outline.

The outline view in Word will display the levels as indented, but this is just a different view. If they are all formatted as left-aligned, that's what they'll show up in Word's non-outline views as well as in Logos.

What I did was using the 'indent' button to move the text until it reflected the structure, 

then I used the style portion of the right-click menu to say "update Heading XYZ style to current formatting" (or so, I used a German language version of it) - you'l note that my Heading styles normally use character formatting rather than indentation to reflect the level.

I attach the file for you to play with it:2273.Romans.test outline.docx 

As Jack already said, I too found that the numbering needs to be manual to be carried over to Logos (but then it seems Word 2007 doesn't support your preferred way of numbering anyway).

Hope this helps

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 68
James Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2016 2:13 PM

Gentlemen, thank you for your messages. I really appreciate your taking the time to help.

I found another solution. I had been creating the Word document with Omnioutliner, and discovered that it had another option of exporting to MS Word with indents. I hadn't originally considered the problem to be in Word when I first saw the non-indented text in Verbum, but then I realized that in Word I was looking at the outline view in Word, and not the print view, which meant I didn't realize how the text was structured in Word.

So, I re-exported from Omnioutliner with the MS Word (indented) option, and then imported it into Verbum, and it worked great. Here's an article from Omnioutliner telling something about these features if anyone's interested:

https://discourse.omnigroup.com/t/omnioutliner-4-1-2-released/6074

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS